Navy GMO Semantics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there has been all this talk of "converting" GMO billets in the Navy to board certified providers. I initially thought this was going to be the end of the intern trained GMO; however, if you read and look closely this is not what it means at all.

According to a few people I have heard talk who "should" know what they are talking about the conversion is in the billets, not in the people actually filling these billets. So the billet will be for say an FP trained physician; however, the billet will actually be filled by LT Schmuckatelly. To me it sounds like the Navy is simply trying to get around the Congressional mandate for as long as possible.

So to those out there hoping that they will avoid GMO land.... don't hold your breath.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a reference for the congressional mandate? I've been looking for it for some time. As far as I can tell, congress told the DoD to get rid of GMO tours in the late 90's.

Do you have a reference for the congressional mandate? I've been looking for it for some time. As far as I can tell, congress told the DoD to get rid of GMO tours in the late 90's.

That's the one I'm talking about and has been referenced by the same people I mentioned above. I'll have to look around like you are already doing for the reference. I imagine it was in a NDAA bill somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
FP, huh? I thought they were going to screw over Peds and IM! Of course last I had heard about it was about 2 years ago when I thankfully fled the Navy and went back to the Blue!

FP, huh? I thought they were going to screw over Peds and IM! Of course last I had heard about it was about 2 years ago when I thankfully fled the Navy and went back to the Blue!

I was using FP as an example. I am sure IM and Peds will join them as well.