navy HPSP and outside scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djlucas1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an entering med student who recently (2 weeks ago) signed my Navy HPSP contract for a school I got into over a month ago. Today, very unexpectedly, I recieved a letter from the school offering me a full tuition scholarship (expensive private school).

I have no thoughts of trying to get out of my HPSP contract; I want to be a Navy physician for reasons far beyond money.

The small print read: "This award will be applied towards tuition only, and in combination with awards from other sources, shall not exceed school approved costs for the applicable academic period."

The navy financing (tuition, fees, stipend) fall short of the posted student budget by about $5000.

The school knew I was taking HPSP. In fact, I had a conversation a week ago about this with a high-up admissions guy who sent me my scholarship letter.

Any suggestions about how to get the most money possible out of this without damaging relationships with either the Navy or the school?

Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this?

Members don't see this ad.