Navy HPSP Board for class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucfknight7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed by my recruiter that the board date for this year is sometime in January. Assuming it is going on right now, when would we find whether or not we were selected?

Members don't see this ad.

I found out 2-3 weeks after the board date. But when and if you are selected it is not a final decision, but you are 'professionally recommended'. There is still some paperwork you have to complete and then about 2 months later I received the Final Select letter; which is the final decision. I know somebody who was professionally recommended, but never received the Final select letter. I don't think that is that common/normal to happen, but it can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was informed by my recruiter that the board date for this year is sometime in January. Assuming it is going on right now, when would we find whether or not we were selected?
Have you heard anything back yet? I submitted my application for the January boards and was told I would know the results by the end of January. I called on February 1st and was told by my recruiter that I would hear back by the end of February. I called back of March 6th and my recruiter told me that he will release the results in the next few weeks. I’m just confused why the date keeps changing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything back yet? I submitted my application for the January boards and was told I would know the results by the end of January. I called on February 1st and was told by my recruiter that I would hear back by the end of February. I called back of March 6th and my recruiter told me that he will release the results in the next few weeks. I’m just confused why the date keeps changing...
My recruiter told me my results on February 1st. I did hear of a few people finding out later than that though.

The results should be out if your package was submitted to the January board. My recruiter told me February 1st as well and to my knowledge it’s as easy as pulling it up on their computer and reading the result of the board. When he called to let me know it was a “professional recommendation” and I didn’t receive my final selection letter for another two weeks. I’m currently waiting for congress to approve of it and then moving forward with my swearing in ceremony. That’s odd that you’re recruiter is dragging it on, maybe he’s waiting for final selection letter since the professional recommendation isn’t a guaranteed spot. Personally, I’d be pushy about it and ask whether or not he can tell you if you’ve been professionally recommended since most of the time it means you’ve been awarded it. Best of luck man.

Thanks for the reply, I have been told at this point that I have been professionally recommended but still waiting for confirmation that I have received the scholarship.

Wait, so it took you guys about 2 weeks to receive the final select letter? I submitted for the Feb board and was professionally recommended beginning of March for the HPSP and HSCP, but didn't go to MEPS until the end of March (apparently you could submit your file bf going to MEPS this year). My recruiter told me to wait 7-10 days for the final letter, but it's been like 10 days already. Maybe I'm just impatient lol.

Wait, so it took you guys about 2 weeks to receive the final select letter? I submitted for the Feb board and was professionally recommended beginning of March for the HPSP and HSCP, but didn't go to MEPS until the end of March (apparently you could submit your file bf going to MEPS this year). My recruiter told me to wait 7-10 days for the final letter, but it's been like 10 days already. Maybe I'm just impatient lol.
It took almost 2 months to receive my final select letter. This was a year ago tho.

Yeah it came via email from my recruiter. I’m just waiting for my commissioning date which apparently takes the longest to wait for lol

It took almost 2 months to receive my final select letter. This was a year ago tho.
omg I hope it doesn't take that long lol

Yeah it came via email from my recruiter. I’m just waiting for my commissioning date which apparently takes the longest to wait for lol
ok, I'll try waiting a bit longer. Hopefully it'll come in the next few days.

Thanks for replying guys!

Are you kidding me?? My recruiter apparently was not aware of this. I went to MEPs back in February, and my kit was submitted for the April board. This process has taken longer than applying to medical school. Also, just a heads up, this same recruiter said (for what its worth) that the Navy has 195 spots to fill this year, and as of three weeks ago, only 105 spots were filled.

Has anyone heard anything from the April board yet?

Are you kidding me?? My recruiter apparently was not aware of this. I went to MEPs back in February, and my kit was submitted for the April board. This process has taken longer than applying to medical school. Also, just a heads up, this same recruiter said (for what its worth) that the Navy has 195 spots to fill this year, and as of three weeks ago, only 105 spots were filled.

No, I think submitting w/o MEPS is only for dental apps, not medical. Sorry for the confusion lol. (This thread is under military dentistry, btw.) I have no clue about the number of spots left for dental HPSP in the Navy, but I think I heard that they only had about 60 spots in total to offer...?

No, I think submitting w/o MEPS is only for dental apps, not medical. Sorry for the confusion lol. (This thread is under military dentistry, btw.) I have no clue about the number of spots left for dental HPSP in the Navy, but I think I heard that they only had about 60 spots in total to offer...?
Lol. Thanks man, yeah I noticed that this was a dental forum last night... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The results should be out if your package was submitted to the January board. My recruiter told me February 1st as well and to my knowledge it’s as easy as pulling it up on their computer and reading the result of the board. When he called to let me know it was a “professional recommendation” and I didn’t receive my final selection letter for another two weeks. I’m currently waiting for congress to approve of it and then moving forward with my swearing in ceremony. That’s odd that you’re recruiter is dragging it on, maybe he’s waiting for final selection letter since the professional recommendation isn’t a guaranteed spot. Personally, I’d be pushy about it and ask whether or not he can tell you if you’ve been professionally recommended since most of the time it means you’ve been awarded it. Best of luck man.

I've been waiting quite a while, since December (that's when my recruiter told me I was professionally recommended for the NAVY scholarship). The only update I've gotten is that apparently there is a delay in getting the scrolls back from congress. Where do you stand right now in the application process? Let me know.

Thanks,

Logan

I've been waiting quite a while, since December (that's when my recruiter told me I was professionally recommended for the NAVY scholarship). The only update I've gotten is that apparently there is a delay in getting the scrolls back from congress. Where do you stand right now in the application process? Let me know.

Thanks,

Logan
I was professionaly recommend during the febuary board. And I have yet to receive the final selection letter also. My recruiter said nationwide people are not recieveing their letters yet. So, I'm hoping we both hear back soon!

I was professionaly recommend during the febuary board. And I have yet to receive the final selection letter also. My recruiter said nationwide people are not recieveing their letters yet. So, I'm hoping we both hear back soon!
You didn’t get your FINSEL? I received that in February shortly after my recruiter called me.

Did you mean that you’re still waiting on the scroll approval?

You didn’t get your FINSEL? I received that in February shortly after my recruiter called me.

Did you mean that you’re still waiting on the scroll approval?
No, my final selection letter. My recruiter told me that mostly everyone selected in the febuary board still hasn't received the letter. (I was told I received it March) which this scares me because I haven't applied for any loans or anything( Incase emerging falls through).

No, my final selection letter. My recruiter told me that mostly everyone selected in the febuary board still hasn't received the letter. (I was told I received it March) which this scares me because I haven't applied for any loans or anything( Incase emerging falls through).
Sorry for all the autocorrect mistakes, I'm just stressed and I didn't proof read it!

So you were told you received the letter but you haven’t actually received it?

this scares me because I haven't applied for any loans or anything( Incase emerging falls through).

This is a mistake. I tell the Army students all the time, that there about a million and one things that can hold up the scholarship. It's best to loan out at least the first semester. If the scholarship comes through, give the money back with little or no interest. It's much better to have the money and not need it than to need the money and not have it.

This is a mistake. I tell the Army students all the time, that there about a million and one things that can hold up the scholarship. It's best to loan out at least the first semester. If the scholarship comes through, give the money back with little or no interest. It's much better to have the money and not need it than to need the money and not have it.
Okay, good to know. I just applied for the loans today.

I received my commissioning information today!

Hopefully y’all hear some good news soon :)

also just finished my commissioning so hopefully everyone's scrolls are moving

can you give a little more detail on when you were notified that you got the scholarship?

My recruiter told me in march and still not have heard back anything :(
I haven’t heard back either. My recruiter said that he’s waiting on information from Tennessee (over a month ago). I confirmed that I am selected and will be sworn-in, but for now, just waiting..

Anyone heard any news from their recruiter about commissioning or final select letter???
I was told that I got the scholarship in March and heard back nothing since...making me worried if my spot is safe!

Anyone heard any news from their recruiter about commissioning or final select letter???
I was told that I got the scholarship in March and heard back nothing since...making me worried if my spot is safe!
I’m in the same position. I’m assuming there are delays across the nation - sit tight and let me know if you hear anything!

Same here, my kit was submitted to the February board and I received the professional recommendation some time after. My recruiter told me that there is a delay for final selection, and now it's June 7th and I still haven't heard back. This is becoming quite a test on my patience!

Anyone receive their final select letters that had been waiting?
I received notice last Friday that I was selected. They offered me a three year scholarship, but it comes with the 20k bonus, tuition for all four years, and benefits that start October of my first year, so I'm not really sure why they call it a three year and not a four year, haha.

I received notice last Friday that I was selected. They offered me a three year scholarship, but it comes with the 20k bonus, tuition for all four years, and benefits that start October of my first year, so I'm not really sure why they call it a three year and not a four year, haha.
That’s odd, haha. You don’t get a stipend then, right?

While I work for the Army, I believe that you misunderstood the terms, or your recruiter misspoke. There are two possibilities here. The first is that as you said, they are offering you a three-year scholarship. In which case:

Your are eligible for the 20K bonus - with it comes a four year active duty commitment not three
You will not receive tuition until the first semester of the second year, there will be no "retroactive tuition". In other words, you will pay for the entire first year tuition on your own.
You will not be commissioned until after October this year, but again, you will not receive benefits until the first semester of the second year.
You would have to check with the Navy HPSP office to find out if they will reimburse part or all of your first-year dental kit (Army won't).

The second possibility is that you are being offered a three and half year scholarship. In which case:

Your are eligible for the 20K bonus - with it comes a four year active duty commitment not three
You will not receive tuition until the second semester of the first year, there will be no "retroactive tuition". In other words, you will pay for the entire first semester tuition on your own.
You will not be commissioned until after October this year, but again, you will not receive benefits until the second semester of the first year.
You would have to check with the Navy HPSP office to find out if they will reimburse part or all of your first-year dental kit (Army pays the full load).

The Army stopped half-year scholarships several years ago...

While I work for the Army, I believe that you misunderstood the terms, or your recruiter misspoke. There are two possibilities here. The first is that as you said, they are offering you a three-year scholarship. In which case:

You will not receive tuition until the first semester of the second year, there will be no "retroactive tuition". In other words, you will pay for the entire first year tuition on your own.
You will not be commissioned until after October this year, but again, you will not receive benefits until the first semester of the second year.
You would have to check with the Navy HPSP office to find out if they will reimburse part or all of your first-year dental kit (Army won't).

The second possibility is that you are being offered a three and half year scholarship. In which case:

You will not receive tuition until the second semester of the first year, there will be no "retroactive tuition". In other words, you will pay for the entire first semester tuition on your own.
You will not be commissioned until after October this year, but again, you will not receive benefits until the second semester of the first year.
You would have to check with the Navy HPSP office to find out if they will reimburse part or all of your first-year dental kit (Army pays the full load).

The Army stopped half-year scholarships several years ago...
How would these require a 4-year commitment with only 3 years of tuition being covered, and I’m assuming neither of these packages come with the monthly stipend, right? Sorry if this is common knowledge.

The deal is - you take 20K you owe four years PERIOD. If you don't take the 20K it becomes (just for an easy way to say it), year for year. With a minimum of three years.

4 year scholarship + 20K = 4 years obligation
4 year scholarship without 20K = 4 years obligation
3 year scholarship + 20K = 4 years obligation
3 year scholarship without 20K = 3 year obligation
1 or 2 year scholarship + 20K = 4 year obligation
1 or 2 year scholarship without the 20K = 3 year obligation

Stipend will start when the first semester of the scholarship is paid

The deal is - you take 20K you owe four years PERIOD. If you don't take the 20K it becomes (just for an easy way to say it), year for year. With a minimum of three years.

4 year scholarship + 20K = 4 years obligation
4 year scholarship without 20K = 4 years obligation
3 year scholarship + 20K = 4 years obligation
3 year scholarship without 20K = 3 year obligation
1 or 2 year scholarship + 20K = 4 year obligation
1 or 2 year scholarship without the 20K = 3 year obligation

Stipend will start when the first semester of the scholarship is paid
To add to this, I was still able to accept / decline the signing bonus all the way up until the second I swore in.

Update from my Navy recruiter: "They pro-recommended too many applicants for the 4-year scholarship. They are going to try to give me the 3-year scholarship (still not 100% certain). If they can commission me in the first semester of school, they will pay for all 4 years tuition."

Update from my Navy recruiter: "They pro-recommended too many applicants for the 4-year scholarship. They are going to try to give me the 3-year scholarship (still not 100% certain). If they can commission me in the first semester of school, they will pay for all 4 years tuition."
Sounds really risky.

So, just an update to clarify my strange situation (see above). I have been notified by the navy and by my school that the full four years of tuition is indeed covered, even though it's technically called a three year scholarship. The reason why benefits won't start until October is because that's when the navy's new fiscal year begins. I'm assuming they're only calling it a three year instead of four year scholarship since they aren't able to provide benefits for the month prior to October that I will be in school.
Rather interesting situation, but as long as tuition is fully covered, I'm not complaining!

I found out 2-3 weeks after the board date. But when and if you are selected it is not a final decision, but you are 'professionally recommended'. There is still some paperwork you have to complete and then about 2 months later I received the Final Select letter; which is the final decision. I know somebody who was professionally recommended, but never received the Final select letter. I don't think that is that common/normal to happen, but it can.

How would someone be professionally recommended but not be a final select? What’s reasons are there for this?