Navy HPSP Digital Camera Reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the updated (March 21 2008) Navy HPSP Student Handbook, bottom of page 20, the Navy will reimburse digital/diagnosis cameras up to $1500. Has anyone tried this yet?

Members don't see this ad.

wow. that is a sweet update from the HPSP handbook from just a couple of years ago. i thought getting $750 for an articulator was big cheese.

if it has been published in the handbook, then it is good to go for reimbursment. as long as your school will sign off on it as a necessary school expense, you have got yourself a digital camera. i would recommend an SLR with a macro lens and a ring flash. dont forget to get some mirrors and retractors as well, even if the Navy wont pay for it.

I'm Air Force HPSP and the camera is on our list of reimbursable items too. But my school doesn't require a camera. Nor does it require anything on the list of goods besides scrubs and loupes. If anyone has found a way to get your school to sign off on a diagnostic camera, please share.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your need documentation that your school requires this item for everyone. When I was in school this wasn’t reimbursable but a laptop was and it was the same deal. A letter from a dean should suffice and many are interested in helping you out with how they present their requirements. For a camera here are my suggestions: You only need the cheapest DSLR body you can find. I got a base Canon refurb with a warranty for ~$200 and you really won’t be able to tell the difference until you spend thousands more on a full frame. The lens is where your money needs to go. The most basic lens that will get you by is a 100mm f/2.8 macro, and it can be from a less mainstream brand like Tokina. Don’t waste your money on Canon or Sigma lenses unless you’re going to get a Pro lens with image stabilization, like the Canon f/2.8L - don’t spend more than $400 on a lens unless it has image stabilization and if you’re getting one with IS you might as well get something really slick Those are really the two choices you need to consider, ~$300 for the Tokina or ~$800 for the Canon L pro. You absolutely need a ring flash and it has to be a “flash” meaning it can sync with the camera, not a $20 “light”. Yongnuo makes a functional flash for $100 and the $300 Sigma or $550 Canon equivalents have almost identical functionality just better build quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Your need documentation that your school requires this item for everyone. When I was in school this wasn’t reimbursable but a laptop was and it was the same deal. A letter from a dean should suffice and many are interested in helping you out with how they present their requirements. For a camera here are my suggestions: You only need the cheapest DSLR body you can find. I got a base Canon refurb with a warranty for ~$200 and you really won’t be able to tell the difference until you spend thousands more on a full frame. The lens is where your money needs to go. The most basic lens that will get you by is a 100mm f/2.8 macro, and it can be from a less mainstream brand like Tokina. Don’t waste your money on Canon or Sigma lenses unless you’re going to get a Pro lens with image stabilization, like the Canon f/2.8L - don’t spend more than $400 on a lens unless it has image stabilization and if you’re getting one with IS you might as well get something really slick Those are really the two choices you need to consider, ~$300 for the Tokina or ~$800 for the Canon L pro. You absolutely need a ring flash and it has to be a “flash” meaning it can sync with the camera, not a $20 “light”. Yongnuo makes a functional flash for $100 and the $300 Sigma or $550 Canon equivalents have almost identical functionality just better build quality.
What about laptops for military docs? Is this a separate service than you experienced with the Army reimbursing your laptop?

Cambridge computers leased me a MacBook for $500/yr for 3 yrs, Army covered everything. If I knew about it first year I could have gotten a MacBook Pro. They had great customer service but I imagine most of these companies are similar just with different inventory.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are Army reading this, don't bother with a letter from the Dean, the Registrar, your Congressman or the man-in-the-moon. The Army asks every school up front if a camera or loupes are required of each student in each year-group. We already know who needs loupes and cameras and who doesn't.

As far as computers, as @ZD26 stated all the Services are only authorized to allow rental (with no option to buy) up to $500.00 per ACADEMIC year. Re-read that. Academic year, not calendar or fiscal year. If you rent a computer in September, and the next AY starts in August, you will not be allowed to submit another reimbursement until after the start of the next AY, regardless of when your lease says you need to pay. Also, for the Army you will need to submit a copy of your rental agreement.