Navy HPSP health insurance reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTruckGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'll be starting med school this upcoming year and my school requires us to provide our own health insurance. This is the first time I'll be purchasing insurance and I'm still trying to find a plan that meets all the requirements for coverage by the school, and I'm trying to find one that won't break the bank either. I've search the forum, read through the HPSP manual, and googled the heck out of it, but I can't seem to find a specific dollar amount that HPSP will reimburse for required insurance. All I've seen is that the Navy will reimburse you if your school requires it and that the Army covers up to $950 (from a 5 year old post). Since my school doesn't offer a specific plan, I don't have anything to use as a base for reimbursement.

Does anything have any experience with this or know up to how much per year they'll reimburse?

Also, I'll be going to school at Texas A&M if anyone has any recommendations for individual health insurance plans in Texas.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'll be starting med school this upcoming year and my school requires us to provide our own health insurance. This is the first time I'll be purchasing insurance and I'm still trying to find a plan that meets all the requirements for coverage by the school, and I'm trying to find one that won't break the bank either. I've search the forum, read through the HPSP manual, and googled the heck out of it, but I can't seem to find a specific dollar amount that HPSP will reimburse for required insurance. All I've seen is that the Navy will reimburse you if your school requires it and that the Army covers up to $950 (from a 5 year old post). Since my school doesn't offer a specific plan, I don't have anything to use as a base for reimbursement.

Does anything have any experience with this or know up to how much per year they'll reimburse?

Also, I'll be going to school at Texas A&M if anyone has any recommendations for individual health insurance plans in Texas.

Thanks

There is no preset dollar limit per se. Most schools offer a student plan, and I would guess Texas A&M is no exception due to its size and state affiliation. The HPSP office knows how much that plan is and would cap your reimbursement to that level. This prevents students from buying "Cadillac" plans and sets a limit for reimbursement for family plans.

I found this link for the school's plan here: http://www.tamuinsurance.com/

Thanks for the info. There was some ambiguity in information I saw elsewhere and that cleared it up.

Apparently the school hasn't renewed their contract with that company you posted for the upcoming year. I contacted the med school and they suggested a plan available through Scott & White, one of the hospitals affiliated with the school. It's an HMO, with a relatively small (local) network of providers. But I also just contacted the student health services at the main campus and they confirmed they're switching providers, but that they wouldn't know any details for at least another month.