Navy Hpsp Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Aragorn, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Junior Member

HELP!! Worst case scenario in the Navy is doing a 4 year GMO tour. My recruiter said that means a internship(military) + 3 years as a GMO(General Medical Officer). Does that sound right? I thought the internship didn't count towards payback. Isn't it 1 year internship + 4 years as a GMO? Anybody know the truth? I have to make my decision in the next couple of days!!! GMO sucks!!!

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    i thought that when you are paying back your time for a medical military scholarship residency didn't count.

4. JEB3

JEB3 Junior Member

I had 2 different recruiters and I heard both... go figure! The contract reads like this....... "7. Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO). agree and understand: d. Apart from my ADSO (Active Duty Service Obligation), I will incur a minimum term of service of 3 years on active duty. My minimum term of service will run concurrently with my ADSO; but if my ADSO is less than my minimum term of service, I will not be released from active duty until I have also served my minimum term of service. Any time spent on acive duty after completion of my health profession degree will count toward completion of my minimum term of service unless otherwise specified in this contract. g. I will not incur an additional ADSO for the time spent on active duty in a military facility in the first year of graduate professional education (PG-1). ADSO's acquired from participation in the AFHPSP....... cannot be satisfied during PG-1 education on active duty. However, the time spent in active duty PG-1 training is credited toward completion of my minimum term of service." So... yes, worst case scenario is internship plus 4 years...PG-1 does not count toward your service obligation although it does count toward minimum term of service. I signed about a month ago. Hope this helps!