YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

Anyhow, I've been in contact with a NAVY HPSP recruiter since March. I sent him my application in the first week of April and for the last 3 weeks, he's been telling me "I'll call you tomorrow and verify your physical for next week. We'll also get your finger printing session done.". As you probably guessed by now, he NEVER fulfills his promise and leaves me guessing as to when he'll call.

Am I being impatient? It's been about a month since he's received my packet and nothing has been happening other than empty promises. Anyone know if there are even scholarships left for pharmacy? Anyone currently applying and know if this is the norm?

Thanks all! :)

JESUITM

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Can you share the details of your possible "benefit package" with the Navy in terms of tuition reimbursement, stipend, salary, years commitment... etc? (Or whatever else you feel comfortable sharing). Thanks!! I hope the bitch calls soon!! Good luck!

tharper14

P1.5
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm not sure about your situation but if she hasn't called back you can almost guarantee that you are a low priority for them... that is, she doesn't get credit for signing you up. If you're applying as an officer this is probably the case. My husband went through the same thing when he applied and basically you got to push them to do the stuff... he brided them with gifts, because they really did not get anything out of signing him up and probably wouldn't have done it otherwise. So don't wait for her to call! Call her and continue to call her until it gets done. If anything, she'll do it just to get you out of her face!

OP
Y

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Can you share the details of your possible "benefit package" with the Navy in terms of tuition reimbursement, stipend, salary, years commitment... etc? (Or whatever else you feel comfortable sharing). Thanks!! I hope the bitch calls soon!! Good luck!
Essentially, it's full tuition and associated fee's, $1900 a month stipend, no salary yet, 4 year commitment for a 4 year scholarship.

Tharper14, thank you for sharing. This is very unfortunate if true because I don't like to have to push people to do their jobs. It seems like I have to nevertheless. I find it strange though, primarily because this recruiter specifically deals with medical recruiting. Whether or not he gets anything out of signing me up, anyone have any info?

k1451372

accepted pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Orlando
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I was told you had to be going into your fourth year to apply, are you in your fourth year or is this a different program i dont know about

Falokis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Auburn, AL
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hrmmm... I'm getting a totally different deal here. I get 'active duty' pay, housing, healthcare, ect... as an E-6, but I just go to school. I pay for school out my own pay, which works out about the same money-wise. When I finish, I go to 4.5 weeks of officer training and get promoted straight to O-3. It's a year for a year. My deal sounds a little better because I get the perks of being in (ID, PX, tricare, years toward retirement) while going to school.

OP
Y

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Hrmmm... I'm getting a totally different deal here. I get 'active duty' pay, housing, healthcare, ect... as an E-6, but I just go to school. I pay for school out my own pay, which works out about the same money-wise. When I finish, I go to 4.5 weeks of officer training and get promoted straight to O-3. It's a year for a year. My deal sounds a little better because I get the perks of being in (ID, PX, tricare, years toward retirement) while going to school.
Yes, that's HSCP. I'm applying for HPSP.

OP
Y

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
I was told you had to be going into your fourth year to apply, are you in your fourth year or is this a different program i dont know about
That's odd and doesn't seem to be a very useful scholarship. This sounds more like a tuition reimbursement similar to a program that the army has (30k tuition repayment for each year committed?).

The closest I've heard is from the AF giving a 2 or 3 year HPSP scholarship where you have to be entering into your second/third year to get it. I was told by my recruiter that the Navy offers a 4 year HPSP for entering students.

paracetamol

Pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pharmacy Student

Hi,
I was under the impression that you had to have completed your first year of school to apply for the Navy HSCP. Am I mistaken?
Also, how long did your application process take? Was your recruiter helpful in getting things pushed along? Do you have prior service?

Thanks!

OP
Y

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Actually, what's coming down the pipe so far from my research and speaking with more recruiters is that the HPSP is NOT available for pharmacy and yes, you have to have finished your first year for the HSCP. My recruiter HAS been jerking me around this entire time!

Fost

Future PharmD
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Talk to the recruiting post supervisor, there is usually an officer in charge. If they don't satisfy your needs ask to talk to their superior, they have to comply.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Falokis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Auburn, AL
Status
Pharmacy Student
Every one I talk to says something a little different. From branch to branch and person to person in each branch. Just make sure you get every detail on paper.:thumbup:

OP
Y

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Will do. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm working on the problem right now, making calls etc.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
I think the only concrete thing I've read is Navy offering the package Falokis described above (E-6 pay comes to about $24k/yr + benefits & 2 years off 20yr retirement time upon graduation).

Anyone know if AF offers a similar package? I think they do but I haven't read explicitly from anyone in it, only Navy on SDN.

And when should we approach a recruiter about the program? Immediately after completion of P-1 or sometime later?