Navy HPSP vs. Army HPSP vs. Navy HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarty tartar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

On the off chance I am placed in the situation listed in the subject line of this post, which route would you select if attending ASDOH? They are a fairly expensive school for out-of-state applicants so I believe HPSP would be the way to go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Without running the numbers the first year expenses appear to be over 70K, thus HPSP would more than likely be your best option from a purely financial standpoint. However, if you think you might make the military a career, the extra four active duty years towards retirement could be more valuable for you.

Hello,

On the off chance I am placed in the situation listed in the subject line of this post, which route would you select if attending ASDOH? They are a fairly expensive school for out-of-state applicants so I believe HPSP would be the way to go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HPSP

Members don't see this ad :)
So after talking to both my recruiters, this is the information I have gathered so far, although it is still incomplete in certain sections (not all of my queries have been fully addressed). Can anyone attest to the accuracy/consistency of the information I have here?

1. What are the deployments like once I am on active duty as a DMD/DDS? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)?
NAVY: Deployment is 6-7 months with a 7-month maximum. No 12-month deployment with Navy. Shore commands (hospitals) are non-deployable units. Operational commands deploy every 18 months to 2 years and are assigned to a boat/marines. On the “green side,” you will only do 1 deployment as of right now aka 2017. Note: Short staffing can cause a non-deployable unit to get pulled. You can negotiate out of school to get on ship or volunteer for the marines, but most DDS/DMD are shore based.
ARMY: Deployment locations and lengths vary depending on where you go - some places you will be treating the soldiers who are in the deployed country or you could be providing humanitarian dental services to the local populous. My last deployment the dentist assigned to us was there for 9 months doing humanitarian missions.

2. Does your branch force a year of working as a general dentist (AEGD) before I can go on to specialize i.e. would I be able to go on to specialize immediately after graduating dental school should I choose to?
Navy: I do not know the answer to this, but I think you will go into residence directly? A year of advanced AEGD is required for general dentistry and this does not count toward your 4-year payback.
ARMY: I do not know the answer to this.

3. With your HPSP program, can I take a civilian residence vs. a navy/army residence for specializing? What is the benefit to doing a military residence? How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year? Does a residency add service years? What about completing a fellowship? Is this allowed? Does it count towards payback or accrue service years?
NAVY: You can do a fellowship if you want but may incur extra obligation outside of your 4-year payback. Once you go past the 4 years of residency/fellowship, it starts to accrue on the backend of obligation. Both residencies, military/civilian are the same.
ARMY: All residencies are via the Army to my knowledge...you get a full-time paycheck. This time doesn’t count toward your service obligation.

4. How long is officer training (BOLC/ODS) and when would this occur? Is there an advantage to completing it before school starts versus after for obtaining preferred assignment locations once graduated?
NAVY: 5 weeks in Rhode Island. They want you ODS after dental school. If that cannot happen, you will go after residency. ODS is a one-time training and counts toward service obligation if sign-up after school. If you do it during school, it will be counted as part of your 6 weeks of “required” annual training.
ARMY: BOLC is currently 6 weeks long, in San Antonio, TX (Fort Sam Houston). You attend this the first summer of dental school.

5. What are the academic/physical fitness standards that I must maintain to carry my scholarship across the full 4-years of dental school?
NAVY: You just have to be in good standing with your university. 6 weeks of annual training if you have that much time off during school, but it can be waived if not. Internship/study abroad that you volunteer for at your school will let you waive this also. You will be required to email transcripts you transcripts to headquarters every semester. No physical fitness requirements during school! Reference website = Navyprt.com
ARMY: You have to be able to pass your fitness test: 2-mile run, 2 min of pushups, 2 min of situps. Pretty basic and be within the height and weight standards. Please see link for specific standards for your age. http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness.

6. Is there anything my HPSP scholarship won’t cover? Does the HPSP scholarship pay for loops/led light attachments? Tablet rentals? Does it pay for scrub uniforms if required by the school?

Navy: If it is required by the school, you can get it paid for.
ARMY: HPSP reimburses you for the equipment listed as mandatory from your dental school. If it is "optional" then, unfortunately, no.

7. Do I qualify for Tricare if my school requires insurance while I am completing my program?
NAVY: You can get Tricare if your school requires insurance for its students.
ARMY: No Tricare benefits are available during dental school.

8. If I were to start a specialty residence, could I be pulled out midway through for a tour/deployment?
NAVY: You would not be pulled out from the middle of a specialty.
ARMY: No, we do not do that - that is a Navy standard.

9. Is there any other information you can share with me regarding other benefits of the army HPSP scholarship?
NAVY: N/A
ARMY: This is the most generous scholarship available...you get your school paid for & a stipend, PLUS you get trained. When you are done with you contract if you decide to leave the Army, you have an amazing experience to write on your CV which will set you apart from all dentist peers.

10. How long is maternity leave while on active duty?
NAVY: 6 weeks maternity leave (free leave), I believe.
ARMY: 12 weeks of leave.

11. What happens if an officer fails their physical fitness assessment?
NAVY: If you fail, you have a 2nd chance to try again up to a week later. If you fail that, you get 6 months (in certain cases) and you’ll try to pass again. At ODS you have to pass it there. Failing the physical can affect promotion.
ARMY: You can retest...if you fail twice you could possibly be kicked out of the Army for failure to maintain fitness.

I am going to address some of the incorrect items in your post. Many of these have been addressed on this forum.

So after talking to both my recruiters, this is the information I have gathered so far, although it is still incomplete in certain sections (not all of my queries have been fully addressed). Can anyone attest to the accuracy/consistency of the information I have here?

1. What are the deployments like once I am on active duty as a DMD/DDS? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)?
NAVY: Deployment is 6-7 months with a 7-month maximum. No 12-month deployment with Navy. Deployments can go longer than 6-7 months and lately have been due to readiness shortfalls caused by budget constraints. The goal is 7-8 months but do not be surprised if you have deployments up to 10-11 months if the fleet is stretched thin. Shore commands (hospitals) are non-deployable units. Technically yes but you can get pulled for deployment from a shore command as an individual augmentee. These deployments are typically hard to get as there is a lot of competition for them. Operational commands deploy every 18 months to 2 years and are assigned to a boat/marines. They can deploy more frequently than that or less frequently. On the “green side,” you will only do 1 deployment as of right now aka 2017. Note: Short staffing can cause a non-deployable unit to get pulled. You can negotiate out of school to get on ship or volunteer for the marines, You cannot be assigned to a ship directly out of school, you must complete a credentialing tour or PGY-1 before you go to sea. but most DDS/DMD are shore based.
ARMY: Deployment locations and lengths vary depending on where you go - some places you will be treating the soldiers who are in the deployed country or you could be providing humanitarian dental services to the local populous. My last deployment the dentist assigned to us was there for 9 months doing humanitarian missions.

2. Does your branch force a year of working as a general dentist (AEGD) before I can go on to specialize i.e. would I be able to go on to specialize immediately after graduating dental school should I choose to?
Navy: I do not know the answer to this, but I think you will go into residence directly? A year of advanced AEGD is required for general dentistry This is NOT a requirement. You are strongly encouraged to apply for a PGY-1 program (and I recommend doing so as it is free training on full salary that can help you get licensure in several states) but you are not mandated to apply or complete a PGY-1 program. If you do not complete one you will do your first year of payback as a credentialing tour. and this does not count toward your 4-year payback.
ARMY: I do not know the answer to this.

3. With your HPSP program, can I take a civilian residence vs. a navy/army residence for specializing? What is the benefit to doing a military residence? How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year? Does a residency add service years? What about completing a fellowship? Is this allowed? Does it count towards payback or accrue service years?
NAVY: You can do a fellowship if you want but may incur extra obligation outside of your 4-year payback. Once you go past the 4 years of residency/fellowship, it starts to accrue on the backend of obligation. Both residencies, military/civilian are the same. Wrong, wrong, wrong. If you do an inservice or other approved federal residency your initial payback, if any remains, will be put on hold during the time in which you are in the program. You will pay back the residency and any remaining HPSP or other educational obligation simultaneously (therefore, effectively the longer of the two obligations will be your obligated service. If you do a civilian residency you will pay them back consectively; that is, you will pay back the entirety of the first one (if any remains) before you start paying back the new one, and neither is paid back during the residency or fellowship. Fellowships are authorized on an as-needed basis in specific fields according to the needs of the Navy. These include OMFS fellowships as well as Maxillofacial Prosthodontics and others that don't come to mind. The obligated service incurred is one half-year of payback per half-year of training, except that endodontics and orthodontics incur a minimum 3 year payback and exodontia incurs a two-year payback.
ARMY: All residencies are via the Army to my knowledge...you get a full-time paycheck. This time doesn’t count toward your service obligation.

4. How long is officer training (BOLC/ODS) and when would this occur? Is there an advantage to completing it before school starts versus after for obtaining preferred assignment locations once graduated?
NAVY: 5 weeks in Rhode Island. They want you ODS after dental school. If that cannot happen, you will go after residency. ODS is a one-time training and counts toward service obligation if sign-up after school. If you do it during school, it will be counted as part of your 6 weeks of “required” annual training.
ARMY: BOLC is currently 6 weeks long, in San Antonio, TX (Fort Sam Houston). You attend this the first summer of dental school.

5. What are the academic/physical fitness standards that I must maintain to carry my scholarship across the full 4-years of dental school?
NAVY: You just have to be in good standing with your university. 6 weeks of annual training if you have that much time off during school, but it can be waived if not. Internship/study abroad that you volunteer for at your school will let you waive this also. You will be required to email transcripts you transcripts to headquarters every semester. No physical fitness requirements during school! Reference website = Navyprt.com Annual training is not "waived", you will still need to arrange "school orders". It is in your best interest to do so as you collect active duty pay and BAH/BAS during this time.
ARMY: You have to be able to pass your fitness test: 2-mile run, 2 min of pushups, 2 min of situps. Pretty basic and be within the height and weight standards. Please see link for specific standards for your age. http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness.

6. Is there anything my HPSP scholarship won’t cover? Does the HPSP scholarship pay for loops/led light attachments? Tablet rentals? Does it pay for scrub uniforms if required by the school?

Navy: If it is required by the school, you can get it paid for.
ARMY: HPSP reimburses you for the equipment listed as mandatory from your dental school. If it is "optional" then, unfortunately, no.

7. Do I qualify for Tricare if my school requires insurance while I am completing my program?
NAVY: You can get Tricare if your school requires insurance for its students. Tricare is not available during school. However, the Navy will pay for insurance if it is billed with your tuition, which it should be.
ARMY: No Tricare benefits are available during dental school.

8. If I were to start a specialty residence, could I be pulled out midway through for a tour/deployment?
NAVY: You would not be pulled out from the middle of a specialty.
ARMY: No, we do not do that - that is a Navy standard. No, it is not a Navy standard. You will not be pulled excepting something on the order of World War III, as there are others who are properly trained and available to fill those roles on short notice.

9. Is there any other information you can share with me regarding other benefits of the army HPSP scholarship?
NAVY: N/A
ARMY: This is the most generous scholarship available...you get your school paid for & a stipend, PLUS you get trained. When you are done with you contract if you decide to leave the Army, you have an amazing experience to write on your CV which will set you apart from all dentist peers.

10. How long is maternity leave while on active duty?
NAVY: 6 weeks maternity leave (free leave), I believe. Wrong, it is 12 weeks. It was 18 weeks but was cut by order of the previous SECDEF.
ARMY: 12 weeks of leave.

11. What happens if an officer fails their physical fitness assessment?
NAVY: If you fail, you have a 2nd chance to try again up to a week later. If you fail that, you get 6 months (in certain cases) and you’ll try to pass again. At ODS you have to pass it there. Failing the physical can affect promotion.
ARMY: You can retest...if you fail twice you could possibly be kicked out of the Army for failure to maintain fitness.

Reactions: 2 users
I am going to address some of the incorrect items in your post. Many of these have been addressed on this forum.
Based on the context of your post, I'm assuming you meant to say "not address." If that is the case, thanks for the heads-up? A lot of information within these forums that PPL refer back to does need updating as it is from 2007. For example, maternity has been extended within the army branch compared to the information that is listed elsewhere on SDN.

Based on the context of your post, I'm assuming you meant to say "not address." If that is the case, thanks for the heads-up? A lot of information within these forums that PPL refer back to does need updating as it is from 2007. For example, maternity has been extended within the army branch compared to the information that is listed elsewhere on SDN.

Maternity leave was extended DOD-wide, not just in the "army branch". The Navy led with 18 weeks until they were instructed to back it down to 12.

And no, a lot of this information has been addressed on this forum multiple times.

Maternity leave was extended DOD-wide, not just in the "army branch". The Navy led with 18 weeks until they were instructed to back it down to 12.

And no, a lot of this information has been addressed on this forum multiple times.

Ok, thanks

Last edited:
I think what you are doing is a good idea. You are taking information that you have from recruiters or other sources and verifying them here. As you can see the information you were provided is wrong, on SO many levels.
@vellnueve addressed your questions incredibly accurately and very detailed. I think he deserves a little bit more of a thank you.