Navy HPSP vs. Army HPSP vs. Navy HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarty tartar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

On the off chance I am placed in the situation listed in the subject line of this post, which route would you select if attending ASDOH? They are a fairly expensive school for out-of-state applicants so I believe HPSP would be the way to go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my first question:

Are you interested in being a career military dentist and serving for 20+ years?

I am more interested in reserves for the purpose of retirement and opening my own practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Are you open to serving on an aircraft carrier or amphibious ship?

2) Are you OK with being a brigade dentist under the command of a non-dentist, having to do non-dental tasks like setting up tents, and not getting to be in clinic as often as you want to be?

Last edited:
1. Yes, I am open to this option!
2. That sounds less appealing....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the HSCP and retirement, those four years count but I've heard from multiple people that not until you hit 20 years of service as a dentist. At that point, you'd have 24 years of service then applied to you. I've also heard it as Incis0r stated from multiple people. Lots of confusion on the matter.

Anyways, stay away from the HSCP if you're attending an expensive school and/or you don't have any prior service time.

I know a dentist that did HSCP at ASDOH. Graduated with $250,000 - $300,000 in loans. Honestly, what was the point of taking the scholarship?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding the HSCP and retirement, those four years count but I've heard from multiple people that not until you hit 20 years of service as a dentist. At that point, you'd have 24 years of service then applied to you. I've also heard it as Incis0r stated from multiple people. Lots of confusion on the matter.

Ah yes you're right- I've heard the same. Thank you for bringing that to light.