Navy Medicine or Air Force medicine- and obtaining conditional release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prone2xl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the naval reserves and although i'm not currently in the medical corps community, will be attending medical school in the next 2 yrs. I am aware that I will need to request a conditional release from my command. Although I am in the Navy right now, I have always had a desire and respect for the Air Force. I have never served on active duty, but would like to serve for the branch which offers the most opportunities and quite honestly the one that is going to benefit me the most. Is it possible to get released from one branch of service, if you haven't completed your time in that service? Reserve committment is 8 yrs. Thank you very much and I look forward to your input. I still have 2 yrs to go but would like to pick the best service as it will be a big part of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the naval reserves and although i'm not currently in the medical corps community, will be attending medical school in the next 2 yrs. I am aware that I will need to request a conditional release from my command. Although I am in the Navy right now, I have always had a desire and respect for the Air Force. I have never served on active duty, but would like to serve for the branch which offers the most opportunities and quite honestly the one that is going to benefit me the most. Is it possible to get released from one branch of service, if you haven't completed your time in that service? Reserve committment is 8 yrs. Thank you very much and I look forward to your input. I still have 2 yrs to go but would like to pick the best service as it will be a big part of my life.

Welcome to the forum.

#1 What opportunities are you looking for?

#2 Don't join the military for the benefits. More than likely, the branch of service which will benefit YOU the most is the civilian branch.

#3 I don't know much about conditional releases.

I was in a similar situation to you last year--I needed a conditional release from the Marine Corps for Navy HPSP. It is a fairly simple deal, you just need to tell your recruiter about it and he will gin up the paperwork for you to sign. I will warn you that like a lot of paperwork problems in the military, it may take several months to get finalized.

As far as which branch is best, it depends on what you are looking to get out of the experiance. The Navy is great if you want to do a GMO tour with an operational unit; the Army (and to a lesser extent Air Force) is much better if you want to train straight through (and don't care about where you get stationed). I highly recommend talking to as many active duty doctors as you can. Recruiters are salesmen, not doctors, they have very little sense of how military medicine compares to civilian medicine. There is a lot of good advise on this forum, but make sure you use as many resources as you can find. Good luck.