navy medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msq17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in college, considering going to med school (interesting in neurology or physical medicine/rehab) and joining the Navy. I need some opinions on which is better for my interests- FAP or HPSP ? Will I be limiting in choosing a residency if I go with HPSP ? What about GMO (negatives/positives)? Is the Navy looking for drs in the neurology or physical med/rehab fields, if not would it be difficult to get into the program I want ? Finally, I hear many physicians in the military getting out ASAP. Is a 20 year career in military medicine not practical? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a junior in college, considering going to med school (interesting in neurology or physical medicine/rehab) and joining the Navy. I need some opinions on which is better for my interests- FAP or HPSP ?

Probably FAP

Will I be limiting in choosing a residency if I go with HPSP ?

Maybe, which is why most people here favor FAP over HPSP, unless you have a compelling reason to go the HPSP route.

What about GMO (negatives/positives)?

Oh boy, search the forum for that. :)

Is the Navy looking for drs in the neurology or physical med/rehab fields, if not would it be difficult to get into the program I want ?

Probably. Competitiveness is extremely variable year-to-year, which is one more reason most people here favor FAP over HPSP.

Finally, I hear many physicians in the military getting out ASAP. Is a 20 year career in military medicine not practical? Thanks!

Most military physicians came in via HPSP and would need ~12-16 more years of active duty to reach retirement eligibility. Some specialties, that's financially ridiculous. Others not. Deploying sucks. The admin side of military medicine can be a beast - though in fairness, over the last few years all the ****heads at JCAHO and CMS have been doing their level best to make .civ medicine as ridiculously absurdly bureaucratic and painful. There are other issues. Search the forum - this topic comes up a lot.