2000 Man

No Limits
10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Forgive me if this has been asked before (or if I asked this before) but I am still not understanding the Navy GME/straight-through/GMO thing.

If you match ob-gyn with the Navy is that PGY-1 linked? Are some slots linked and others are not? Are they linked unless you get tapped on the shoulder mid way through your internship and told "hey you're going GMO next year"? How does this really work (Please be as detailed as you can)?

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If you match ob-gyn with the Navy is that PGY-1 linked? Are some slots linked and others are not? Are they linked unless you get tapped on the shoulder mid way through your internship and told "hey you're going GMO next year"? How does this really work (Please be as detailed as you can)?
For some specialties none are linked and you need to apply at the end of PGY-1 to continue, while for others some spots are linked and others aren't. If it's linked, though, it's linked. The only way that you're getting sent to a GMO tour if you're in one of those is to be dismissed from the residency, which happenes with the same frequency (and for the same reasons) as in a civilian residency. In that scenario, be grateful they need to do something with you, as a civilian you'd just be out on your @ss without a job.

I have no idea if there are linked spots in OB. I'm still an MS2

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status
Attending Physician
Forgive me if this has been asked before (or if I asked this before) but I am still not understanding the Navy GME/straight-through/GMO thing.

There are no linked spots in OB. Many will go straight through, but none are guaranteed. All PGY-1s will apply for GME-2 in Nov of the intern year and the results will be out in Dec. At that time you will find out if you continue or head to GMO land.

SilentSeawolf

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2010
Status
Academic Administration
If you are Navy and selected for Navy PGY-1 OB then you have been selected to train for the PGY-1 year only. You will reapply and perhaps be reselected [66 to 100%] to train for OB PGY-2 to PGY-4 in the middle of your PGY-1 year [Papers in Oct; decision in December]. Now if you are a member of a different service e.g., AF training at a Navy location [Portsmouth] you are likely to be given a 4 year set of orders...

So ... for Navy members it is important to get started qualifying for your plan B GMO slot. That means that during June/July of PGY-1 you need to meet with representatives of FS, Under Sea, Other; learn about their unique fitness requirements and related forms and get them completed so if you need a plan B you are ready.

Now along about July everyone will be told you are going straight through in OB but along about ~September someone will say oh the needs of the Navy suggest we need to loose one PGY-2 slot and acid stomach kicks in. These man power tables are usually created ~June 20+ of your PGY-1 year [just as you are getting your shots] and are found in the Navy Surgeon Generals form 13xx appendix [note the year of the memo to be sure of the year to which teh table refers]. Of course these numbers change up or down during the selection board meeting in late November and the final results are released in mid to late December.

Sometime between July and September of PGY-1 you will have a day to meet with representatives of specific GMO opportunities [FS, Under Sea, etc.]; you will also have time to meet with your detailer and have a candid discussion about what your plans A, B, C, etc. are. This is the time to ask lots of questions because you can learn of opportunities you did not know about.

Now the PGY-2 selection process is a great time to change specialties or locations [with possible negative consequences]. If you are considering changes you should inform your department head and local GME leader so they can help you and so they can find an exceptional candidate from the fleet to fill the soon to be vacant PGY-2-4 slot.

Understand that in December of your PGY-1 year the 4th years and attendings will also be concerned about the selection board because the board will be deciding where they go next to live and whether they were selected for fellowships. Some of this information is available in December and some [location] may not be released till January.

There are other specialities: Psyc comes to mind, that offer PGY-1 selectees 1 year or 4 year orders. There can be a mix of 1 and 4 year selectees within a speciality/location. Those with 1 year orders will reapply for PGY-2 selection and those with 4 year orders will not. Others can comment on which fields offer straight through orders and at what percentage.

Of course if you offend enough patients or the senior staff can not stand you, you are likely to end up with a GMO for PGY-2, 4 year orders or not.