Navy OCS vs Navy OIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxAnn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could elucidate the differences between Navy OCS in Pensacola, and Navy OIS in Rhode Island? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In Navy OCS you are training to be a line officer. You are an officer candidate (E-5). You are beaten into submission for 13 weeks by a Marine Corps Drill Instructor. Your sweat, blood and tears will gain you a commission.

In Navy OIS you are training to be a staff corps officer. Here is the important difference...you are already an officer. What the officer candidate worked his/her rear off for was handed to you the day you raised your hand and signed on the dotted line. As a result the Navy Chiefs (senior enlisted personnel) who train you are limited in how much they can make your life hell. A few years ago, OIS was called "knife and fork" school because you learned etiquette and played frisby for PT. I have heard it has tightened up some and is not nearly as cush as it used to be. That being said, OCS has several orders of magnitude of "suck factor" over OIS.

...also OIS is only 5 weeks long

Thanks for the reply. You are really increasing my Navy IQ here, but what is exactly the difference betweeen a line officer and a staff officer? Is it true that reserve officers only need two weeks of officer training? I have talked to people who were in the reserves who said they only spent 2 weeks at Pensacola to gain a commission or is this a different sort of program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Line Officer = Naval Aviator, Naval Flight Officer, Surface Warfare, Submarine, Special Warfare (SEAL), Special Operations (EOD)

Restricted Line Officer = intel, crypto, aviation maintenance duty (AMDO), supply (sort of, they go to OCS, but are their own corps ie. Supply Corps), civil engineering

Staff Corps = Medical Corps, Medical Service Corps, Dental Corps, Nurse Corps, Chaplain Corps ...."docs and God"

The two weeker in P'cola that you are referring to is for direct accession of prior enlisted to become an LDO (limited duty officer). LDOs are technical subject matter experts or administrators.

If you are entering the Dental Corps (my assumption since this is the board you are posting on), you will attend OIS in Rhode Island. OCS and LDO school will not be an option.

Hmmm...does that mean that my "docs and God" comment still stands?:D

You are correct, I am looking to attend OIS, but I want to learn as much about the Navy as possible. If someone who completed the two week course (for limited duty officers) were to change job descriptions, would they have to return to OCS at Pensacola beforehand?

LDO/CWO school is now combined with OIS in Rhode Island and is called OTS. The class in now about half prior enlisted and half HPSP. SO it is a little more intesnse.

You are correct, I am looking to attend OIS, but I want to learn as much about the Navy as possible. If someone who completed the two week course (for limited duty officers) were to change job descriptions, would they have to return to OCS at Pensacola beforehand?

Former Navy OCS survivor here. Enlisted folks that are looking to get commissioned, but not going the LDO route, do go through OCS. We had a few in my class. If you are looking for more info about OCS, check out the forum http://www.airwarriors.com.

Hey. I just finished OIS 2 days ago. So if you have any ??, I'll tell you all you want to know.

Hey. I just finished OIS 2 days ago. So if you have any ??, I'll tell you all you want to know.

What was the best and the worst?

What did you wish that you brought along, but didn't? Anything that you wish you would've left behind?

Did you have to duck walk?

I have read all I can read and would just like a cut and dry response to what one can expect from OIS?

Thanks!

Here is a link that lists some basic stuff about OIS

https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/index.cfm

If you don't find what you want there, then stop being lazy and do a search here and in the military medical forum. Everything you will need to know can be found in the forums. We are more than willing to help out here, but to have the attitude that you have had all you can and just want ........ If you have that attitude while on active duty, you are going to hate life because you will most likely rub your enlisted personnel wrong and even though you will be an officer, they can make your life a living hell.

I did not mean to come across as snotty, my apologies. I am the sister of a Marine killed in combat while touring in Afghanistan, and most certainly have the utmost respect for any and ALL military personnel. I am humbly attempting to give back to these great men and women.
I have actually spent the last 2 hours reading pamphlets and websites and now forums. What I meant was sometimes even through the recruiters you get a "sugary" account of what to expect so as not to scare you. To be honest I am not worried about what to bring or when I get leave (cause as you said it is listed on the website) Im worried about what I should be doing now to prepare for being able to "keep up" at OIS training. My step-father was a Marine drill instructor and teases about it being easy but for someone with no military experience personally I just wanted an idea. Most of the men in my family are enlisted and I have no intention of not showing respect to men/women who work so hard.

I apologize again for offending anyone.

I understand both sides here. If I had lost a loved-one in combat, I think I may have come across the same way, but no one here on the forums would know that until you said so.

Still, I have felt the same way when dealing with recruiters. Some have meant well, and others were just looking to get me to sign on the line, but none of them were dentists.

I really didn't get a good feel or appreciation from what life would be like as a Navy dentist until I interviewed with one. It was a part of the application process, and I think it was a real bonus. The commander had just returned from 6 months in Kuwait and had been in 15 years. This guy was a wealth of information. It was like talking to a mentor. He knew the highs and lows of Navy dentistry and was forthcoming enough to share them. The conversation was so insightful that for some time later I thought I had imagined the whole thing.

His views were consistent with those of other Navy dentists I had encountered previously.

Dentistry, like most careers, takes a great deal of personal investment in both education time and fact seeking. Once a friend I had (who is on his way to an MD now) once told me that the best way to find out about a career was to ask someone who was doing what you were interested in and ask them how they got there.

I think Navy Dentist 2010 is on the right track, and he generally means well. I would try asking to talk to some Navy dentists at your local base and see who is willing to talk to you.

Sorry for your loss.

Well your assumption of me being a newbie is correct. And me in this chat forum proves it ;) I searched for OIS and ended up in here, but did not realize it was for Dentistry until I got my response. So, there ya go :) Although, all the information given to me regardless has been helpful. I have sought out professionals in my field as was suggested to me and while that is proving to be a bit difficult since there are only a little over 300 in the Psych world, it has helped meeting people.
Also, I made an appointment with the Navy Officer Recruiter so he can offer some solid answer and maybe new routes to helping me get to a point where I am doing what I hope in the Navy.

I am humbled by your experience and even more impressed by you taking time to offer us rookies help on the forums. Thank you again. I was taught a valuable lesson. . . because I use the internet so much I forget that what I mean and who I am does not come across so well with just words when thats all the person is reading.

Thank you again and I appreciate all the help. I was needing information on OCS too so that was not a bad lead as well ;) I am trying to look at all my options because while one door may not be my way in, Im hoping to learn of a new one. The Navy is where my heart is and so I am searching for a way in :) Although I hear these days that OIS is now ODS. . . same place though and I was told same type of training.

And P.S. I will be in Ireland next week . . kind of a fun twist:)

Thank you again.
Respectfully,

Rachel

I know this id the Dentistry forum but my Question pertains to the original question. I am a Psychology Senior and in May of 08 I will have my BA in Psych. I would like to be an Officer and become a psychologist. What would I have to do OCS or OIS? How do I go about for applying to one of these, and what is the training like?

I am guessing, but most likely it would be OIS. I doubt you would have to do OCS, but I could be wrong.

I know this id the Dentistry forum but my Question pertains to the original question. I am a Psychology Senior and in May of 08 I will have my BA in Psych. I would like to be an Officer and become a psychologist. What would I have to do OCS or OIS? How do I go about for applying to one of these, and what is the training like?

This is the medical school that offers quite a bit of programs. If you would like to pursue a PhD then Dr. Getka is the person to speak to. He is wonderful and is always available for questions.

http://www.usuhs.mil/