Navy ODS while in school or after I graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be starting dental school this fall and also joined the Navy through HPSP program.
I was just wondering if there are any differences between completing the ODS while you are still in school and after you graduate from dental school.

Which is more common and recommended? and why?

Thank you and your input is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I will be starting dental school this fall and also joined the Navy through HPSP program.
I was just wondering if there are any differences between completing the ODS while you are still in school and after you graduate from dental school.

Which is more common and recommended? and why?

Thank you and your input is very much appreciated!

Does your school have summer breaks? If so, you may be require to report to Active Duty Training anyhow

Does your school have summer breaks? If so, you may be require to report to Active Duty Training anyhow
On their website under the curriculum, it does seem like they have summer terms, but I'm not certain what the time frame is like.
Am I required to attend the annual training or whatever while I'm still in school during those 4 years?
I know there are many types of AT, including the ODS which is required to be completed prior to entering active duty, but other than this, I'm curious if I will have to attend other types of AT while I'm in school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Very unlikely that he will be forced to go to ODS during school. If the opportunity arises, you should, though. It will set you up better in case you decide to stay in and do residency after your initial commitment because then you will be eligible for Retention Bonus while in residency if you start on active duty in June. Some cannot go to ODS until July after graduation and thus in certain situations they will not be able to receive RB should they do residency the year they finish their commitment.

The AT most students complete in school is "School Orders" which essentially places you on active duty for the 45 days but otherwise you remain at school doing your studies.

Reactions: 1 user
Very unlikely that he will be forced to go to ODS during school. If the opportunity arises, you should, though. It will set you up better in case you decide to stay in and do residency after your initial commitment because then you will be eligible for Retention Bonus while in residency if you start on active duty in June. Some cannot go to ODS until July after graduation and thus in certain situations they will not be able to receive RB should they do residency the year they finish their commitment.

The AT most students complete in school is "School Orders" which essentially places you on active duty for the 45 days but otherwise you remain at school doing your studies.
This is the part I was wondering. My friend who is currently in dental school that is on Army HPSP is planning to finish his BOLC while he is still in school so he can immediately get paid or something as soon as he graduates, and I was wondering if this was the case for the Navy as well.
So you would recommend that I finish the ODS while I'm in school if I get the time? since I am planning on doing 1-year Navy AEGD?
Also, other than the ODS, I am not "required" to complete other types of AT during my years in the program correct?

On their website under the curriculum, it does seem like they have summer terms, but I'm not certain what the time frame is like.
Am I required to attend the annual training or whatever while I'm still in school during those 4 years?
I know there are many types of AT, including the ODS which is required to be completed prior to entering active duty, but other than this, I'm curious if I will have to attend other types of AT while I'm in school.

Read the student handbook, it has a lot of information in it that you don't know including how all the AT orders work and stuff you won't even think about. Most valuable resource.

Reactions: 1 user
Get it knocked out. 1 less thing to worry about when the time comes to talk to your detailer.

I'll be graduating in May, attending ODS in July, and starting my AEGD after that. My 2 cents:

For me, dental school and all our wonderful board exams were more than enough stress. I also felt going to ODS as a transition into active Navy would prepare me better than doing it after my first year of dental school then forgetting everything. But I can see the appeal of getting it out of the way early. Because I'm prior service, I'm also going to see a fairly substantial difference in pay as an O-3 with those added years, than I would as an O-1; not a deciding factor but a nice fringe bonus. Oh and one other thing, starting October 1st I believe, the Navy is going to start using the new nwu type 3 (camo uniform from blue to woodland digital I think... Google it), so going to ODS any time after that will save you on buying a uniform that's being phased out.

I'll be graduating in May, attending ODS in July, and starting my AEGD after that. My 2 cents:

For me, dental school and all our wonderful board exams were more than enough stress. I also felt going to ODS as a transition into active Navy would prepare me better than doing it after my first year of dental school then forgetting everything. But I can see the appeal of getting it out of the way early. Because I'm prior service, I'm also going to see a fairly substantial difference in pay as an O-3 with those added years, than I would as an O-1; not a deciding factor but a nice fringe bonus. Oh and one other thing, starting October 1st I believe, the Navy is going to start using the new nwu type 3 (camo uniform from blue to woodland digital I think... Google it), so going to ODS any time after that will save you on buying a uniform that's being phased out.

Type 3s are way better than Type 1s. Try wearing those heavy Type 1s on Diego Garcia all day.

Im so confused. The Type III is heavier than Type I (I've spent a number of years in both), which is strange, because that's really counterintuitive. I do prefer Type III overall.
I've found the blueberries to be more comfortable, but a whole lot uglier. Wearing steel toes is a bummer, and I thought it was ridiculous on shore duty. The digital guacamole is heavier, but I wore with the tan boots which made my life so much easier. Plus I liked the design more.
My favorites were still the BDU's. So soft. So comfy...

Im so confused. The Type III is heavier than Type I (I've spent a number of years in both), which is strange, because that's really counterintuitive. I do prefer Type III overall.
I've found the blueberries to be more comfortable, but a whole lot uglier. Wearing steel toes is a bummer, and I thought it was ridiculous on shore duty. The digital guacamole is heavier, but I wore with the tan boots which made my life so much easier. Plus I liked the design more.
My favorites were still the BDU's. So soft. So comfy...

I always felt like the Is were worse. I wear the rough out boots which are way better than the standard black leathers, although not sea legal of course. The standard ones are horrible, my rough-outs were more broken in out of the box than the standard ones are after six years.

I did inadvertently discover that you could explode ink all over the Type Is and no one ever noticed. They do have a use!

I always felt like the Is were worse. I wear the rough out boots which are way better than the standard black leathers, although not sea legal of course. The standard ones are horrible, my rough-outs were more broken in out of the box than the standard ones are after six years.

I did inadvertently discover that you could explode ink all over the Type Is and no one ever noticed. They do have a use!
That totally happened to me too! (Both uniforms, actually). Always the laundry...

I've never had the rough out boots, so I can't speak much on them. Not having to polish my tan Rocky's was awesome, so it would've been nice to have that when I was back to wear Type I. I just didn't want to spend the money :laugh:

The parka and liner is super expensive. I really hope none you don't end up purchasing them for the Type I. Plus you would need to get a nametape sewn on the parka, and a rank tab sewn on the liner. The Type III has that already.

It's unbelievable how many uniforms the Navy goes through. I have BAGS of old uniforms, and that's even after I've thrown a number of really old ones away. That's why I never buy too many sets of a particular uniform. I don't think I've ever had a "Full Seabag."

If you do ODS after you graduate, does it count towards the payback time? I've gotten conflicting answers on this.
Do you guys think the detailer will hold it against you if you dont do ODS beforehand?

My understanding is if you do it before graduation, it is counted as your ADT.

Say you don't do ODS before starting school and wait until after graduation, when do you do your first ADT then?

Once you graduate you go on active duty and begin your payback. ODS is part of that.

Are you sure about that? I thought I remembered reading somewhere, maybe the handbook, that your payback wouldn't start until after you finished ODS which (in my case) will be after graduation? That's why I was so pissed they didn't let me commission early so I could do it the summer before school first started. I was even gonna try to talk to the school into letting me out for 5 weeks my last semester to do ODS so I could begin my payback immediately.