NAVY officer training in RI - what was it like? how to prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accidentist4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have the HPSP from the Navy and awaiting to take oath soon. I also expect to do ODS, or the officer training) in rhode island this summer before dental school starts in July. I was just wondering what I should expect physically? what type of exercises should I do in the meantime to help me prepare? i looked up the PT requirements to pass and am not sure if those figures are still up to date. does anyone know what the requirements are to pass for a 125lb female?

ALSO, i wanted to clarify what are CURL-UPS? are those like pull-ups or like sit-ups?

Members don't see this ad.

ALSO, i wanted to clarify what are CURL-UPS? are those like pull-ups or like sit-ups?

curl-ups = sit-ups...a partner will hold your ankles...1 "curl-up" = touching your elbows to your thighs and going back down having your shoulder blades touching the ground (keeping your hands at your neck/chest the whole time). Practice this way because you would be amazed how during a PRT it seems like your upper thighs get more tired than your abs! Anyway, good luck and enjoy Rhode Island. Newport it awesome even if you do have to wear your uniform off base. ;)

So i have the HPSP from the Navy and awaiting to take oath soon. I also expect to do ODS, or the officer training) in rhode island this summer before dental school starts in July. I was just wondering what I should expect physically? what type of exercises should I do in the meantime to help me prepare? i looked up the PT requirements to pass and am not sure if those figures are still up to date. does anyone know what the requirements are to pass for a 125lb female?

The requirements for the PRT are based on age not weight.

FEMALES: AGE 20 to 24 YEARS
The minimum numbers are:
Curl ups 50, Push ups 17, 1.5 mile run 15:15

The Height/Weight standards for someone age 17-39 @ 125lbs is 57 inches (4' 9") or 33% body fat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give details on the extent of liberty?

From what I recall, I believe it was the third weekend we were allowed to go to the officers club and other on-base locations, fourth weekend we were allowed into Newport for one day, in uniform, and other on-base locations. Last weekend is greaduation.