Navy Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the Navy still require an intern year before a path residency? If so, are there any plans to change this in the upcoming future (with all the talk of cutting back on GMO tours)?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the Navy still require an intern year before a path residency? If so, are there any plans to change this in the upcoming future (with all the talk of cutting back on GMO tours)?

The RRC requires and intern year before a path residency. So it's not going to change.

The RRC requires and intern year before a path residency. So it's not going to change.

The AAMC's website says nothing about a transitional year for a path residency. It's my understanding (from searching this site), that the Army & AF don't have people go through a clinical intern year before starting a path residency. I'm trying to figure out if the Navy has any plans to change their program to the same. Aside from churning out GMOs, it seems worthless for a path MD to have a year of training in IM or something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AAMC's website says nothing about a transitional year for a path residency. It's my understanding (from searching this site), that the Army & AF don't have people go through a clinical intern year before starting a path residency. I'm trying to figure out if the Navy has any plans to change their program to the same. Aside from churning out GMOs, it seems worthless for a path MD to have a year of training in IM or something similar.

The only place (in the US, civilian or military) you'll find that you are required to do an internship prior to entering a pathology residency is the United States Navy. Also, most of those unlucky enough to be in the Navy who want to do pathology will (more than likely, although a few have not had to recently) spend a few years being a GMO.

Army and Air Force are straight in.

Last edited:
word on the street is that there are 5 applicants for at least 4 positions this year in pathology. that's just the word on the street...

I would disagree that it is worthless. Learning clinical medicine is important, otherwise you are merely an educated technician. As to your situation, it is unlikely circumstances will change by the time you graduate. Eliminating the need for internships in residencies that have not offered them is being considered.

I would disagree that it is worthless. Learning clinical medicine is important, otherwise you are merely an educated technician. As to your situation, it is unlikely circumstances will change by the time you graduate. Eliminating the need for internships in residencies that have not offered them is being considered.

It may not be "worthless" but I don't think its worth the cost of an entire year for these folks. This is what 3rd and 4th year of medical school are for. We devalue med school so much now that I don't understand why people even have to do a fourth year. Also, for Path, there is so much (ever increasing) for them to learn already. And, at the end of the day, they are educated technicians.

We devalue med school so much now that I don't understand why people even have to do a fourth year.

Fourth year these days seems to revolve around interviewing, remediating, and vacationing.