Navy peds/Pay while deployed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mississippi DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions for all of ya'll Navy folks. My recruiter told me the Navy was beginning to "phase out" pediatrics. I've received misinformation from him before, so I wanted to ask a more informed audience this question. Also, when your deployed, as either a GMO or an attending, do you still receive pay while deployed? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions for all of ya'll Navy folks. My recruiter told me the Navy was beginning to "phase out" pediatrics. I've received misinformation from him before, so I wanted to ask a more informed audience this question. Also, when your deployed, as either a GMO or an attending, do you still receive pay while deployed? Thanks a lot.

Peds is alive and well. They may shrink a small amount, but current plans include peds.

long long standing rumor. However, everyone I met in peds at Portsmouth when I volunteered there said every doctor is opposed to it, as it affects every clinic, except geriatrics I guess. Doesn't mean they won't do it. Rationale for all this crap, eliminate the burden of having to pay the pension down the road. Since it doesn't immediately affect the care of the war-fighter, I guess it makes sense on paper. However, soldiers have kids, that's a proven fact. The move is also stymied by the fact the Navy isn't willing to pay a competitive salary, go figure. The advice I also got (cause at the time I wanted to go peds) was do a GMO or something else tour, in case you need to hide out in operational medicine the rest of your career. Also if you sub-specialize, you kind of take away their thunder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, when your deployed, as either a GMO or an attending, do you still receive pay while deployed? Thanks a lot.

No. All deployments are free labor. That's part of the deal. You heard the army is going to 15 month deployments right? It actually isn't because they're out of bodies; its because they are just trying to save a few pennies by not paying their salaries for a few more months.

Just kidding of course. They actually pay you about $300 more a month when you are deployed and less of your pay is taxed than usual.

Please do A LOT of reading on this forum before signing up for the scholarship.

So, the Navy actually actually increased the number of peds intern slots this year (hooray for me). Unfortunately, it's so we can deploy after our residency to make up for a future GMO shortage.

If you're thinking about doing military and want to do peds, DON'T TAKE THE SCHOLARSHIP. The training you would get at a large Children's hospital is a vastly different experience. Also, you don't know what peds will be doing in 4 years when you finish up. The primary business of the military is to win wars. Peds is a peripheral requirement they have to meet. Not a primary concern.

But there is always a need for peds b/c 1) soldiers have kids 2) other specialties like ENT, Rads, and surgery are required to see some kids to get acredited.

Your ability to do a fellowship and subspecialize will be greatly reduced. I have been blessed to this point that things have worked out for me, but with hindsight I might have made some different choices as a pre-med.

Just my 2 cents.