1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Navy Placement

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by manyquestions, Mar 15, 2007.

1. manyquestions

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a question about the Navy and how they choose where to send people:

My husband is a 3rd year HPSP navy medical student. We are currently on the East coast but we are hoping to move to the west coast. We are hoping that he gets his internship in San Diego. However, I will not be able to join him until I finish my grad school in 2 years. We would like to stay together as long as possible, so one option was that he could do his intership year on the east coast and then move to the west coast for a job (a billet). However, We were told that the navy is unlikely to give him a job on the west coast if he did his internship on the east coast because they would not want to pay to move him across the country if they could just give him a job where he is.

Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for your help!

2. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If he is planning to go to a ship as a GMO, then that is generally true. If he is going to flight surgery or undersea medicine first, then billets are open worldwide for those opportunities. But there are even exceptions with GMOs.