Navy + PM&R question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year in a D.O. medical school. I have taken the COMLEX and did fair well on it, but did not take USMLE1.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the Navy has positions for PM&R. Does the Navy still not have a PM&R internship/residency? If the Navy has positions for PM&R but not a residency for it...how does one go about becoming a PM&R in the Navy? Does anyone know if the Navy will be allowing civilian deferment for such residencies that the Navy does not offer? I am just curious about the process. Would I have to go to internship in the Navy, then do a two year GMO, then apply for civilian deferment...or will it require me going the full 4 year GMO tour and getting out of the military to persue a residency in PM&R.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with these questions...because the point of contacts are awol.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there are no active duty PM&R docs in the Navy. I know of one civilian PM&R doc who works at Portsmouth, but I think she is a rare exception of any PM&R service in the Navy. I believe the Navy's response to PM&R has been one of their belief that PM&R is best suited for long-term rehab and the Navy lets other groups do that (VA). I have also never heard of the Navy offering deferrments or allowing Navy docs to participate in the Army PM&R residency at Walter Reed.

Of course this is always subject to change, but I wouldn't count on becoming a PM&R doc if you're in the Navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to do milmed, I would recommend looking into doing FAP, thereby doing your choice of residency.

Isn't Walter Reed going to soon become a multi-service medical center where Bethesda Naval hospital is at currently.

Not sure about the timeline, but worth investigation nonetheless.

As far as I know there are no active duty PM&R docs in the Navy. I know of one civilian PM&R doc who works at Portsmouth, but I think she is a rare exception of any PM&R service in the Navy. I believe the Navy's response to PM&R has been one of their belief that PM&R is best suited for long-term rehab and the Navy lets other groups do that (VA). I have also never heard of the Navy offering deferrments or allowing Navy docs to participate in the Army PM&R residency at Walter Reed.

Of course this is always subject to change, but I wouldn't count on becoming a PM&R doc if you're in the Navy.

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help.

Gastrapathy...the phone number you gave me led to a fax line. Does anyone know a good point of contact number that actually pick of their phone and respond to voicemails?

Backrow...That's unfortunate. I am really hoping that I don't have to get out fo the military in order to do what I want to do for a living. I know "needs of the Navy"...but it really is unfortunate for the Navy that people that want to be in the Navy sometimes get pushed out.

Itsmymango...what is a FAP. Sorry if I am insulting your intelligence. I really am horrible at acronyms.

Pokerslut...I will definitely look into it. Like everything else...I have no idea where to call to address the question.

Last edited:
Isn't Walter Reed going to soon become a multi-service medical center where Bethesda Naval hospital is at currently.

Not sure about the timeline, but worth investigation nonetheless.

Supposedly by September 2011, Walter Reed will be fully moved over to Bethesda, which will be renamed the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. I don't think that the Navy will suddenly be able to apply for Army residency positions, however. Even right now, when the residents move between the two hospitals regularly, GME is seperate.

If you really want to do milmed, I would recommend looking into doing FAP, thereby doing your choice of residency.
I doubt that would work. Keep in mind that FAP is not for all specialties. FAP is only for specialties that a branch of the military needs. If the military is way overstaffed or doesn't require a particular specialty, it won't be available through FAP.

FAP's a great program, but there's no guarantee they'll be offering what you want by the time you apply.

j4pac- Check out the milmed main page. Near the top there's a sticky about HPSP, FAP and the other programs. All the details about FAP are there.

You essentially get a stipend (like HPSP) throughout residency. You owe 1 year of service for every year of FAP you take. The downside is that you don't get any tuition reimbursement. The upside is that you don't incur any obligation to the military until you've been selected for a particular specialty and at the civilian program of your choosing. HPSP is more money, FAP is training of your choosing.

Supposedly by September 2011, Walter Reed will be fully moved over to Bethesda, which will be renamed the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. I don't think that the Navy will suddenly be able to apply for Army residency positions, however. Even right now, when the residents move between the two hospitals regularly, GME is seperate.

Not completely true. About 85% of GME is currently integrated. There are a few programs that have yet to integrate, but all will be by 2011.

PM&R is not goaled for FAP, so it is unlikely OP would be able to enter the Navy via this route. I do predict there will be Navy at the WRNMMC in the future.

The larger question is how many PM&R the Navy needs/wants/desires.

We have 3 at this moment in time and 2 billets. The billet number will likely grow to 5-8, but not much more than that. I would guess that most of those numbers will be filled by individuals currently in HPSP.

Not completely true. About 85% of GME is currently integrated. There are a few programs that have yet to integrate, but all will be by 2011.

I thought that, while residents regularly work at both hospitals, both the Army and Navy had relatively fixed numbers of slots for the programs, rather than a common pool that both Navy and Army compete over. As in, for X program, Navy will have 6 spots, and Army will have 6 spots, rather than there being 12 spots, and the number of Army/Navy changes each year.

I thought that, while residents regularly work at both hospitals, both the Army and Navy had relatively fixed numbers of slots for the programs, rather than a common pool that both Navy and Army compete over. As in, for X program, Navy will have 6 spots, and Army will have 6 spots, rather than there being 12 spots, and the number of Army/Navy changes each year.

I see....True, but often residencies have more capacity than there are available training billets. That's where you can stash extras from time to time.

Members don't see this ad :)
so to recap: it might be very unlikely that you will be able to do PM&R in military....? but there is the possibility.....

so to recap: it might be very unlikely that you will be able to do PM&R in military....? but there is the possibility.....

This thread really only applies to the Navy. I know Army has them, I'm not 100% on the Air Force though. And the possibility in the Navy right now is zero, but this could change. I would not recommend joining any Navy programs if you want to be a PM&R doc.

Doesn't PMNR stand for Plenty of money n relaxation??? Not a troll just trying to had some humor.

I still have not determined the point of PM&R. Perhaps someone could enlighten me. What is it that they offer that a team headed by an IM or FM doc with PT, OT, Speech Path, and others?

I'm guessing it is another lifestyle specialty.

I still have not determined the point of PM&R. Perhaps someone could enlighten me. What is it that they offer that a team headed by an IM or FM doc with PT, OT, Speech Path, and others?

I'm guessing it is another lifestyle specialty.

My understanding is that the PM&R folks hone in the skills that help peoplein rehab that might belong to different specialties. They do EMG studies, they tailor nutrition, they treat spasms, they manage routine stuff.... They do stuff that a neurologist, nutritionist and FP might do, but it's all done by one person.

You're right, a team of folks could do all of that but 1) is it cheaper to pay one guy to do it than 5 people and 2) if you're the patient would you rather have one provider or 5?

My honest answer is "I don't know because the Navy doesn't use them" they could be of great benefit, but we'll never know.

My honest answer is "I don't know because the Navy doesn't use them" they could be of great benefit, but we'll never know.

Yeah, but we are working to add them to the Big 3 with all the wounded warrior care.

Yeah, but we are working to add them to the Big 3 with all the wounded warrior care.

Are they going to start sending wounded warriors to all 3? I've seen alot at NNMC, a handful at San Diego, and almost none at Portsmouth.

I would like to see them send more warriors to the other two hospitals as I think it helps staff morale to see their direct contribution to the war effort.

Guys...I matched to a civilian PM&R program today. This site has been invaluable to many people who otherwise wouldn't have a clue how to do anything in regards to the military or medicine...people like me. I bumped my first SDN post. Wow...I was a naïve idiot back then (even more so than now!).

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks guys/gals. I matched to my #1 choice...Mayo.

Would I have matched to the top program in the country without my flight surgeon tour? Unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user

Would I have matched to the top program in the country without my flight surgeon tour? Unlikely.

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how were you able to find out the specific program? I thought that wouldn't be revealed until this Friday. Also, which Mayo?

Nice work! Did you have to do ERAS And all that garbage?

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how were you able to find out the specific program? I thought that wouldn't be revealed until this Friday. Also, which Mayo?

You can find out the location if you are either:
1) partially matched (which I was)
2) participating in the couples match and your partner matched and you didn't

They give you the location you matched by not the program. There is only one PM&R program I applied to in Rochester, MN.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice work! Did you have to do ERAS And all that garbage?

Yes...I had to go through the entire ERAS/NRMP process. It was grueling...but I had fun interviewing. Met tons of awesome people along the way and got to see lots of cool cities I have never been to before. My favorite cities were Louisville and Madison. Both are absolutely top notch cities.

Yes...I had to go through the entire ERAS/NRMP process. It was grueling...but I had fun interviewing. Met tons of awesome people along the way and got to see lots of cool cities I have never been to before. My favorite cities were Louisville and Madison. Both are absolutely top notch cities.

That's great man! Who did you end up using for LORs?

Good for you! It's pretty awesome when things work out.

Reactions: 1 users
You can find out the location if you are either:
1) partially matched (which I was)
2) participating in the couples match and your partner matched and you didn't

They give you the location you matched by not the program. There is only one PM&R program I applied to in Rochester, MN.

I see. Well, congrats again. Start stocking up on dress shirts and ties. I hear Mayo is pretty formal.

Reactions: 1 users
That's great man! Who did you end up using for LORs?

I have a very strong specialty LOR (maybe the most renown DO in the world). I rotated with him as a medical student and he has since been a mentor. He gave me a very strong LOR in medical school...and gladly re-wrote it for my application package this cycle. I ditched my other med school recommendations and got to strong LORs from SMO/senior physicians in the Navy. Far and away programs care about the specialty LOR most. I'm 99% confident that my personal statement, specialty LOR, work experience, and interview got me in.