Navy Prelim Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Navy programs require a prelim year? Does doing a prelim year predispose you to doing a GMO tour before continuing on in your residency field?

As my husband (non-military) and I are both going to be doctors, I need to find a specialty I can be happy with that also has a good chance at straight through training so he doesn't have to move during his residency.

Members don't see this ad.

If you start a thread with the title, (service) match statistics, the previous post search will bring up threads from all the services that shows previous years matches, how many spots in what specialty, some even show how many applicants and one shows the ratio for applicants/acceptees for the army.

In general primary care is the best odds of straight through, FP, IM, Peds

I know in 2007 for the Navy OB/GYN, Psych also had nearly 100% matches.

Rads and Gen surgery are something like 2 applicants/spot and ortho and derm are 3:1 ratio.

Of course every year is different but you should look up match stats to help you make your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the prelim year for rads or anes cause more people to go into a GMO tour before continuing on?

The prelim year doesn't "cause" people to do GMO's. Its the selectivity of the specialty and the need for GMO's that are the driving forces behind what happens to the individual.