Navy prior commissioned service read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r90t

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had prior commissioned service and are in HPSP or USUHS, you may be eligible for O-4 very early. Talk to your delailer and your intern advisor early on. You must request your records to be screened during internship by BUPERS due to being on active duty less than a year as a MC officer.

I put on O-4, 6 months after finishing internship. One of my friends, who didn't think he had enough time in, would have been screened as a deep select, if he had requested a record review. That would have been an extra 4-5K this year for him!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the gouge. I made O-4 just as I was separating to come to medical school..Sure would be sweet to have that O-4 pay now,and flight pay, and BAH.................;)

How about for my situation. I was commissioned as an O-3 in June 2002, and I am currently in an inactive ready reserve status. I'll have 4 years of civilian residency training prior to AD starting July 2005. When will I be eligible for O-4? Does having a PhD help in regards to promotions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of similar situations like switching from Navy to Army or from one community to another where they take 1/2 of your commissioned active duty service and apply it to your current time in rank and if you meet the gate for promotion you get it. This was the way my rank would have been computed if I had switched to Army Guard, medical corps, from active duty Navy, aviation (which believe it or not I was considering and would have done if they hadn't dorked me around with paperwork for close to a year!)

Maybe others can offer more insight. I could also email the Navy HPSP registrar and ask, but in that she's MSC, I'm just a second year and she probably gets 100 emails a day about more presssing stuff I doubt it would be very productive!

Spang

Spang,
You are correct that time in service from the line is cut in half and applied toward time for medical corps. However, I have seen people get screwed with this. One guy in my internship class came on duty as an O-4 straight out of med school, he was a 12 year NFO. Another guy with 12 years NFO ( and a much better guy in my opinion) came in as an O-3 and was picked up for O-4 at the board during internship. An extra year without O-4 pay hurts.
Andrew,
Generally you get 3 years of credit for a PhD earned prior to entering Naval service. That plus your residency shoud put you in line for O-4 at this year's board, I would definitely check on it. If the FAP contacts you have are no help, I would contact the Ophthalmology detailer to ask about help getting your package together for the board. The board meets in May, so don't waste any time.
DD

DD:

Do you know what the time in rank is for O-3 to O-4? 10 years of my 13 were commissioned (I was a NAVCAD) so I guess I get 5 in O-3 toward O-4. Seems to me in the line it was 6 but I can't recall.

r/

Joe

I had eight years commissioned and I was very senior in my O-4 board. I think I was like #55 out of the 300 or so people promoted this year.

I'm not sure how you put on O-4 during internship, because you are still a med student until after the O-4 board meets. It can be done because I saw an prior aviator start internship as a LCDR.

Rob:

I would guess it's either done by getting your package in for the board immediately depending on timing or through a "Special Selection Board" which I take to mean an administrative action of some kind. God love the Navy with it's propensity for waivers!

We were once hauling a SEAL team and all their trash to some "out of the way place" and they had tons of pax-pro stuff in addition to the usual lithium batteries, blasting caps, outboard motors, etc. and we told them they'd need a waiver to allow us to carry that crap. They pulled out a Xeroxed, rubber-stamped, get-out-of-jail-free type waiver that was obviously well-worn and many times used, and away we went!

Good stuff.

Joe

Generally Med Corps is 5 years to be up for LCDR, I'll be in zone for the next board, I'm below now with 4 years. People are also fleeing the Navy, so I'd say it's even more likely that 5 will do it. However, I would not anticipate putting it on at graduation from med school, but rather getting it during internship, likely with a very high number and therefore early on. Again, I've only seen 2 people show up as intern O-4's, one my year and one the year before (he was an aviator CDR before HPSP). It can't hurt to push for it, though. CAPT Cohen at HPSP might know who to talk with about it. He knows all the career building steps, he's helped me out.

Spang,
I had no gouge about a special board and HPSP were less than helpful for going before the board while in med school. My intern advisor at NMCSD was sure to let me know that I had to get my package if I wanted to get looked at during internship.

We had to others in my class that did the same thing. One was an NFO that was O-4 select on leaving for med school and he was one of the most senior people by lineal numbers last year. He also picked up anesthesia as an intern. Prior service counts on the residency selection boards. I can give you all the gouge on that if you are thinking about going straight through instead of GMO/DMO/FS.

We had prior aviators/divers in my class and no one did a "GMO" type tour in their past career. They said it would be a tease going from an F14 to the squadron FS. Odd.