Navy radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquidDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much decided on going into radiology. I am an MS3 Navy HPSP, and am planning on trying to match either TY or IM internship at NMCSD, followed by a GMO tour, then eventually trying to match Radiology.

For those that have matched Navy rads, what advice might you be so kind as to offer me at this stage in my preparation? I know that board scores and GPA need to be competitive, and at this point, step I went well and GPA is ~91%. I have 9 years of prior enlisted service, so hopefully those help me out as well.

Any advice would be well appreciated! I have yet to complete any substantial research other than a case report that will be published in an ID journal later this year. I assume that starting up an additional research project would be advantageous.

Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I have pretty much decided on going into radiology. I am an MS3 Navy HPSP, and am planning on trying to match either TY or IM internship at NMCSD, followed by a GMO tour, then eventually trying to match Radiology.

For those that have matched Navy rads, what advice might you be so kind as to offer me at this stage in my preparation? I know that board scores and GPA need to be competitive, and at this point, step I went well and GPA is ~91%. I have 9 years of prior enlisted service, so hopefully those help me out as well.

Any advice would be well appreciated! I have yet to complete any substantial research other than a case report that will be published in an ID journal later this year. I assume that starting up an additional research project would be advantageous.

Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

Assuming the above is true, I would say you have a reasonable shot at Rads. Interviews will be the clincher. If you do TY, make sure one of your electives is in Rads. Med school rotations will be less important for you since the people doing the picking may well have moved on to other jobs.

Assuming the above is true, I would say you have a reasonable shot at Rads. Interviews will be the clincher. If you do TY, make sure one of your electives is in Rads. Med school rotations will be less important for you since the people doing the picking may well have moved on to other jobs.

Thanks for your input! I am going to give it my all and just see what comes of it. It is true that many of my great contacts might very well have retired or separated from the military by the time I end up trying to match.

-Bryon

Members don't see this ad :)
Another option is to apply for a deferment to train civilian radiology. It may be a long shot, but if you don't ask, you won't get it. GMO has good and bad points, but there is something to be said for just doing your training without a break.

I heard that it is rare to defer for rads in the Navy. I know of one guy that did it, but when I spoke with the one of the program directors, he said that it is a rare opportunity.

If I happen to have a good chance to match at USC, do I need to get a letter from the PD stating that I will likely match in their program in order for the Navy to consider my request for deferrment?

I heard that it is rare to defer for rads in the Navy. I know of one guy that did it, but when I spoke with the one of the program directors, he said that it is a rare opportunity.

If I happen to have a good chance to match at USC, do I need to get a letter from the PD stating that I will likely match in their program in order for the Navy to consider my request for deferrment?

For 2008 Grads, the prospect of a full deferment is grim.

Are talking about RADS in particular or deferments in general??

Are talking about RADS in particular or deferments in general??

Rads, but the numbers would indicate there will be few deferments in general.

I would suggest applying for a civilian deferment if possible, that way you do not delay your training. Getting the civilian deferment is easier said than done, but it is not impossible (speaking from personal experience of getting both civilian radiology residency deferment as well as civilian fellowship deferment). Here are some suggestions that may be helpful....

1) Do a rads rotation (AT) where the Radiology specialty leader is--currently Dr. Sears at Bethesda is the specialty leader and he is a really great guy. Honestly tell him of your interests.... radiology is a very small community in the Navy and you do not want to burn any bridges.

2) Do the AT as early in your fourth year as possible--try to interview for Navy internships at that time as well (a requirement anyway I think). I went to NNMC for my AT and interviewed both there and portsmouth during my 4 weeks. Interviewing at SD was a very short drive for me when I got back ;)

3) Apply for the civilian match, but try and schedule any radiology interviews in late dec/early january so you can cancel them if you don't get a deferment.

4) Make sure the selection board knows what civilian programs you will be interviewing at...this can be very helpful..I believe I updated my personal statement on the Navy GME application when I got interview offers. If you are given the nod at your home institution before the match (it can happen), I don't think it would hurt to let the selection board know this as well.

It is somewhat advantageous if you are HPSP to get a civilian deferment because you are not in the system yet...its easy to keep you out. Nothing is a sure thing but there are certain steps you can take to maximize your opportunity.

I would suggest applying for a civilian deferment if possible, that way you do not delay your training. Getting the civilian deferment is easier said than done, but it is not impossible (speaking from personal experience of getting both civilian radiology residency deferment as well as civilian fellowship deferment). Here are some suggestions that may be helpful....

1) Do a rads rotation (AT) where the Radiology specialty leader is--currently Dr. Sears at Bethesda is the specialty leader and he is a really great guy. Honestly tell him of your interests.... radiology is a very small community in the Navy and you do not want to burn any bridges.

2) Do the AT as early in your fourth year as possible--try to interview for Navy internships at that time as well (a requirement anyway I think). I went to NNMC for my AT and interviewed both there and portsmouth during my 4 weeks. Interviewing at SD was a very short drive for me when I got back ;)

3) Apply for the civilian match, but try and schedule any radiology interviews in late dec/early january so you can cancel them if you don't get a deferment.

4) Make sure the selection board knows what civilian programs you will be interviewing at...this can be very helpful..I believe I updated my personal statement on the Navy GME application when I got interview offers. If you are given the nod at your home institution before the match (it can happen), I don't think it would hurt to let the selection board know this as well.

It is somewhat advantageous if you are HPSP to get a civilian deferment because you are not in the system yet...its easy to keep you out. Nothing is a sure thing but there are certain steps you can take to maximize your opportunity.

Thanks for the advice! I certainly will entertain the idea of matching in a civilian program versus an immediate payback.

One guy I know of got a deferrment for Rads, finished residency, and the detailer sent him immediately to Kuwait. He was like, WTF do you need a radiologist in the desert for? Don't we have teleradiology? He spent his first 10 months of payback in the sand.

I really would not mind having to go overseas after residency, its just that during residency will be the first few years of my marriage, and my wife to be will be in residency for OB/GYN somewhere between SD and LA. It would be nice to see her once in a while!

does anyone ever get picked up for Radiology from Internship?

I spoke with a radiology resident at NNMC Bethesda yesterday who informed that this is starting to happen. Last year, a transitional intern was able to dodge the GMO bullet (Matrix style) and was selected to go straight into the radiology residency program. It's still the exception rather than the rule, but there is some hope.

I spoke with a radiology resident at NNMC Bethesda yesterday who informed that this is starting to happen. Last year, a transitional intern was able to dodge the GMO bullet (Matrix style) and was selected to go straight into the radiology residency program. It's still the exception rather than the rule, but there is some hope.

Also note that this person picked up a slot at a different hospital than NNMC and was also a prior SEAL with many years prior service. As said above, some hope, but you better be a stud in more ways than just grades for the time being.