navy radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shabub

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello to all,

hi i just enlisted in the navy not to long ago and im still waiting to go to basic (july7th) i want to pursue a career in radiology. how much of my studies could i get done while in the navy? i am signed up for 6 years active duty. and what path shouldi be taking in my studies? if anyone has any insightful information i would greatly appreciate it. thanks to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man...you're a six-year-sucker. Don't worry, so was I. Here are your options:

1) Try to earn your Bachelor's degree while on active duty, using tuition assistance. If you complete your B.S./B.A. before your enlistment is up, you can apply to USUHS, granted your command will support you.

2) You can try to apply for commissioning programs such as the Naval Academy Prep School, NROTC, Seaman-to-Admiral Program, Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP), etc. Some of these require some college before applying, so your first step is to start taking college classes on base or on ship as soon as you can. Then start inquiring with your command about these different programs. Hopefully you'll find someone in your command who will be supportive, perhaps your Chief, LPO, DivO, etc.

Remember, your goal at this point is to simply get your 4-year degree so that you'll be able to apply for medical school, whether that be USUHS while still on active duty, or a civilian med school once you're discharged.

It's a little early to start planning our your courses, but once you start college make sure you understand what all the pre-reqs are.

Listen, feel free to PM me with any questions. I was in your same 'boat' 14 years ago. I enlisted in the Marines back in '89 on a six-year contract. Unfortunately, the Marines weren't very supportive of my educational goals, and I had to wait until my discharge in Oct 95 before I could start college.

Fortunately, the Navy is much more supportive and encouraging when it comes to their enlisted personnel pursuing education. My wife was an active-duty Navy Corpsman for 11 years before getting out, and she was able to get a lot of college completed while on active duty.

Now I'm a 3rd-year medical student on a Navy HPSP scholarship. I'm hoping to make the Navy a career. Having been in, I can tell you that you've made a good choice...the opportunities on the military are plentiful, as long as you're willing to seek them out.

Heck, the U.S. military has paid for both college and medical school. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Listen, feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] with any questions.

If you're still interested in pursuing this in a few years when I'm on active duty, you can contact me and I'll do whatever I can to help you, i.e. letter of rec, etc.

Good luck and Welcome Aboard!

Reactions: 1 user