Apr 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering how fast the Navy usually reimburses med school expenses, such as books and medical supplies. I read somewhere that it takes a month or two, does it really take that long?
Also in the handbook the reimbursement cap for oto/opthalmoscopes is $450, however, the school that i will be attending didn't give us a choice, I HAD to buy the kit they provided at our student store, "no questions asked" was what the dean said, and my oto/opthalmoscopes cost $700, should I mention that when I turn in my reimbursement sheet.

Thanks for the help

SeminoleFan3

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I was wondering how fast the Navy usually reimburses med school expenses, such as books and medical supplies. I read somewhere that it takes a month or two, does it really take that long?
Also in the handbook the reimbursement cap for oto/opthalmoscopes is $450, however, the school that i will be attending didn't give us a choice, I HAD to buy the kit they provided at our student store, "no questions asked" was what the dean said, and my oto/opthalmoscopes cost $700, should I mention that when I turn in my reimbursement sheet.

Thanks for the help
I feel like mine generally take a month or so. It takes longer in the middle of August to October because they have so many. As for the $700, that's obscene. The Navy allots $450, so that's the max you'll get. You should have questioned the dean because I've never heard of that.

i want out

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks for the help
sounds like the Dean has some interest in the book store making a profit at your expense.

the .mil will give you up to $450 to reimburse your cost of obtaining an opthalmoscope, not a penny more, they don't care if you bought the gold plated one, or the one that was marked up the Dean that owns a bookstore.

They also don't really care if you buy one, and send the receipt in to get your money and then take it back and get your money back. If somebody wants to get you just because they have a hard on for you, then they may try to prosecute you for this as a form of fraud, but they are very unlikely to try.

You don't really 'Need' an opthalmoscope or Otoscope, or at least I haven't. I can count the number of times I have used mine for looking at anybody other than my kids on one hand, and have enough fingers left over to pick both nostrils simultaneously, and one left to flip you off at the same time.

but if they are going to pay for it, go ahead and buy it.

i want out (of IRR)