Navy residency selection criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mississippi DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lowly about to be MS-I here, just thinking far ahead and wondering what all goes into the Navy GME selection process. I know that GPA, Boards, and letters of recommendation are important, but I've also heard that a point system is used. Would things like research while on AT add "points?" I know that GMO/Flight surgery adds "points", but I was wondering if things like research while in med school help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lowly about to be MS-I here, just thinking far ahead and wondering what all goes into the Navy GME selection process. I know that GPA, Boards, and letters of recommendation are important, but I've also heard that a point system is used. Would things like research while on AT add "points?" I know that GMO/Flight surgery adds "points", but I was wondering if things like research while in med school help. Thanks.

I hate that you signed up without knowing this. This ought to be spelled out in the contract so people know what they're up against.

You get points for prior service, research, pre-clinical grades, clinical grades, USMLE, interview and a general "gestalt".

I hate that you signed up without knowing this. This ought to be spelled out in the contract so people know what they're up against.

You get points for prior service, research, pre-clinical grades, clinical grades, USMLE, interview and a general "gestalt".

and since you're navy, when applying for residency (PGY2) either as an intern or a GMO, you'll also get points for internship. If you end up doing one, you'll also get points for GMO or utilization tours (the word for a staff tour for people post-residency applying for fellowship).

Here's a thread (try that search fxn):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=91915&highlight=GMESB

As far as research, it helps as long as it leads to a poster/abstract or article. I was told you max out on the research points after 2 separate posters/abstracts or articles.