Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Navy: Rotations at military hospitals during 4th year of medical school

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by navy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. navy

navy Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

My husband is doing a surgery rotation at the Navy hospital in San Diego, and I have a few questions about per diem and reimbursement.

We are supposed to call SATO to arrange his housing and car rental. As I understand it, we use our money (i.e. money that comes from per diem) to pay for his housing and car rental. But we can then submit reimbursements to get refunded for these expenses. Is this correct?

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

2. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, if you pay for those expenses, you will be reimbursed. If needed, your husband can go to the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) and request a travel advance. They will give him a portion of the per diem early. If your husband does not stay in the Bachelor's Officer Quarters while there, he needs to get the front desk of the BOQ to stamp on his orders - "Quarters not available." If he does not have this non-availability statement, it will make getting reimbursed for a hotel difficult.

There is a limit to how much the government will pay for a hotel. In San Diego, this is $131 per night. If you go over (including taxes) this is on you, if it is less you will get what is billed. For meals they give you a flat $61 per day.

3. OP
    OP
    navy

navy Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thank you NavyFP. That was extremely helpful. It is also very good news because at one point I thought that we would have to spend most of per diem on housing and would never get refunded for that expense.

Will we have some say so in where he stays? I am planning on spending about 2 weeks (of the 4 week rotation) with him in San Diego. I talked to the folks at the North Island Bachelor Quarters and they said that it was ok for me to stay there with him. I was surprised...but I guess it makes sense because he will have a privite room with a private bathroom.

Does the military refund money spent on gas used to travel between home and the hospital?

Thanks for your help!

4. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you stay at a BOQ, does not matter which one. I know people who stay at North Island and commute in. HPSP won't care, your using the BOQ rate versus a real hotel bill.

The simple answer is probably no for the gas. However, save your gas receipts and submit them with the travel claim. PSD will decide from there. Although, I often get dinged on my computerized travel claims for not adding gas for the rental car. So I suppose it is not impossible.

5. OP
    OP
    navy

navy Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for your quick responses NavyFP. I really appreciate your help. Just one more question.

What are the expenses in terms of food? Is there a cafeteria at the military hospital? He has to pay for this food, right? And this is not reimbursed, right?

In his confirmation letter, it said something about how dinner would not be provided at the hospital, and that this should increase his per diem. He will pay for all of this food out of pocket, right? He is not refunded for food expenses, right?

Sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure we know what to expect. Thanks!

6. met19

met19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I did my rotations at NMCP and Bethesda I received a quarters not avail. Its nice b/c you can stay @ a hotel, but most hotels (esp in DC) place their gov rate at whatever the govt stipulates. YOU still are taxed. Therefore the gov will reimburse for the hotel minus the taxes. If you can find a cheaper rate than go for it, but it can be difficult esp in DC.

7. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should be able to get reimbursed for gas. Save all of the receipts, list each gas purchase on your travel voucher, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I did that for the last ADT I did with the Army - paid up front for lodging, rental car (which was prior authorized), and gas - got reimbursed for every penny.

8. BigNavyPedsGuy

BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The above statement is a collosal understatement.

He pays for food - the cafeteria is REALLY cheap in SD for some pretty good food. The perdiem they give you is an amount calculated to provide food for each day. It's a pretty reasonable amount too.

The North Island quaters are awesome! That's where my wife and I are trying to stay when we go out in April to look for housing (we're moving there in June).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

They pay for gas, keep your receipts! Also, you get 61 dollars a day fixed for food. Who eats 61 dollars a day? Not me, at the end of the rotation, the clerkship coordinator (Mr. Lego in SD) will give you a piece of paper saying you are authorized the food allowance for a month. 61 x 30 days is alot of extra dough!

Jetson

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. megadon

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You got screwed, illegally. Before hopping designators, I did a lot of travel as a sub officer. LOTS of travel. You are entitled to the govt rate for the hotel (DC was 150) PLUS taxes. If they don't give it to you in the future, resubmit. If the continue to deny (likely, cause the ******s at PSD NEVER real the rules, they only do what they have done from experience) and you may have to go find the rule in the Joint Travel regs (available at the DFAS website) that says you are authorized it. If still disallowed, complain and contact the IG. The IG move will win mega negative spirit points, so use as a last resort. By the way, in DC you can stay at the Ritz Carlton on govt rate, but they have limited rooms. It's nice though, especially the downtown and crystal city. Other than that, I would recommend the crystal city Marriott. Make sure you enroll in Marriott or Hilton rewards, one summer active duty will get you a ton of points. I currently enjoy my 60 gig video ipod and Bose noise cancelling headphones curtesy of Marriott.
    The gas from a RENTAL car is reimbursible. If you POV, you get flat rate for mile, when I last was doing this, it was 30 something cents per mile, which is computed to account for gas and maintenance.
    The key to travel is your orders. First, if they don't say govt quarters aren't available, then you really really need to get them stamped by the BOQ saying they can't put you up. Otherwise, the govt will only give you around 11 bucks a day, the rest you eat. Also, they need to stipulate whether you have to eat on base or not. If you have to eat on base, you are only going to get like 13 bucks a day. If you govt messing isn't required, you get per diem, which is fat.
    Govt travel is a huge perk, and is wide open for abuse, so don't abuse it. Getting a travel record audited would be no fun. They pay outrageous amounts for per diem in most good locations. My advice is this, travel is actually a burden usually (away from family), so take advantage of the money they give you. See old town San Diego, check out the gas lamp. BOQ's are fine, my only complaint is lack of high speed internet, but they may have changed in the last two years. Guess I'll find out this summer. 45 days is a long time, so if you don't have a credit card you can float everything on for 45 plus three weeks for your travel claim to come through, ask for an advance.

11. met19

met19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    that sucks about the screwing, but not surprising. My mil experience has been mostly negative. Rules are only followed when they are useful (e.g. like this). Though I did know about keeping the gas receipts. I also submitted my dry cleaning for reimbursement.