Navy Rotc + HPSP pathway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goatface13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am struggling to find money for second year of college, well not anymore since I just got approved a 20,000 dollar loan, but I know I want to become a Navy Physician. It's a dream to travel the world as well as serving my country. The thing is, my parents are pushing me to get involved with Navy ROTC, but I know that I might not able to go into med school right away after graduation. I heard that if I do get accepted into the HPSP, will my required service get pushed until after med school? Is it even possible to follow this path? What if I don't receive the scholarship for med school?

I'm really worried that i may never even be in med school if I do rotc or even national guard :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I am struggling to find money for second year of college, well not anymore since I just got approved a 20,000 dollar loan, but I know I want to become a Navy Physician. It's a dream to travel the world as well as serving my country. The thing is, my parents are pushing me to get involved with Navy ROTC, but I know that I might not able to go into med school right away after graduation. I heard that if I do get accepted into the HPSP, will my required service get pushed until after med school? Is it even possible to follow this path? What if I don't receive the scholarship for med school?

I'm really worried that i may never even be in med school if I do rotc or even national guard :(

Go over to the military medicine forum. I am doing the Army HPSP so I don't have to do a GMO tour. Generally it is a bad idea to do ROTC and then HPSP, because you may have to wait a few years before you can go to medical school, because the government will own you.

If you do ROTC now, you'll be required to serve before medical school (possibly not if you're accepted to school and to HPSP, but the way they explained it in our ROTC was that you shouldn't gamble it during undergrad if you're planning for grad school/law school/med school). A few of my friends have had a hard, long road to professional after doing Guard (deployments during undergrad) or ROTC and not being accepted to school (applying at the end of their service term). See if you can finance undergrad another way, and, hopefully, you'll get HPSP or do ROTC during medical school.
Hello everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do ROTC now, you'll be required to serve before medical school (possibly not if you're accepted to school and to HPSP, but the way they explained it in our ROTC was that you shouldn't gamble it during undergrad if you're planning for grad school/law school/med school). A few of my friends have had a hard, long road to professional after doing Guard (deployments during undergrad) or ROTC and not being accepted to school (applying at the end of their service term). See if you can finance undergrad another way, and, hopefully, you'll get HPSP or do ROTC during medical school.
Yea that's what I keep hearing, but my parents are so angry at me right now for not considering rotc although I tried convincing them that it may jeopardize my medical education. I'm focusing on what's best for me, not for them.

With financing, I just got approved $20,000 and $15,000 last year, but I'm afraid if I can still borrow for junior+ senior year...oh college lol

Hello everyone!

Before you sign anything, make sure you know what your obligation is going to be for hpsp +/- ROTC and consider how that fits in with your 10 and 20 years plan. You could be obligating yourself to being a lifer.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do ROTC and would do hpsp

Yea that's what I keep hearing, but my parents are so angry at me right now for not considering rotc although I tried convincing them that it may jeopardize my medical education. I'm focusing on what's best for me, not for them.

With financing, I just got approved $20,000 and $15,000 last year, but I'm afraid if I can still borrow for junior+ senior year...oh college lol

Tell your parents that ROTC is not a student loan program. It's a program to facilitate the creation of military officers. Ultimately, it's going to be your keester that is in the uniform, so it should be 100% your decision without undue influence from parents who might not fully grasp what they are asking you to obligate yourself too.

You might want to consider private loans.

Don't do ROTC. if you get good grades and score above a 30 or 31 on your MCAT, they will automatically accept you into the HPSP and give you a 20k sign on bonus. I would know because I went through it, but ultimately failed my physical (i was dumb and didn't lie about little things in my past) so that put an end to that