NAVY Surgery or Nothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I have been reading posts on this forum for awhile now and thought it was time for me to try and make a thread specific to my concerns or desires.

I am 25 and went to USMC OCS with a flight contract 3 years ago. Before going I knew it was either going to be flying or medicine. I found myself leaning towards medicine while I was there. I know there are no Marine doctors, but now as I apply to medical school I know I would like to be a surgeon, and since my heart is with the Marines, it is Navy or nothing.

My major hesitation is that I am not doing this so much for the money as I want to care for those who serve. But there is no point caring for them if I am not trained well because then I do them and myself a disservice.

Here are my specific questions:

1a) Is the training for surgeon's good in the Navy?

1b) Are the Navy residency programs respected in the civiliam world, i.e. is it hard to get a job in a civilian hospital once you are done paying back the Navy?

2) Can you get a GMO tour with Marines, if I can not go straight into a residency program upon med school completion?

3) I hope to get engaged once getting accepted into school, what will life be like for my wife in the Navy?

4) Are surgeon's on aircraft carriers or submarines?

I apprecaite any and all responses, thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all:

I have been reading posts on this forum for awhile now and thought it was time for me to try and make a thread specific to my concerns or desires.

I am 25 and went to USMC OCS with a flight contract 3 years ago. Before going I knew it was either going to be flying or medicine. I found myself leaning towards medicine while I was there. I know there are no Marine doctors, but now as I apply to medical school I know I would like to be a surgeon, and since my heart is with the Marines, it is Navy or nothing.

My major hesitation is that I am not doing this so much for the money as I want to care for those who serve. But there is no point caring for them if I am not trained well because then I do them and myself a disservice.

Here are my specific questions:

1a) Is the training for surgeon's good in the Navy?

1b) Are the Navy residency programs respected in the civiliam world, i.e. is it hard to get a job in a civilian hospital once you are done paying back the Navy?

2) Can you get a GMO tour with Marines, if I can not go straight into a residency program upon med school completion?

3) I hope to get engaged once getting accepted into school, what will life be like for my wife in the Navy?

4) Are surgeon's on aircraft carriers or submarines?

I apprecaite any and all responses, thank you for your time

1. Caseload in residency is a major problem. Also, the variety of cases is lacking. These are big problems. I happen to believe from some inside info that the caseload part should actually start to improve at 2 of the 3 programs (but still very few major cases and even fewer major non-vascular/CT cases).
1a. I'm not aware of any staff Navy surgeon having trouble getting a job, but then, there aren't a lot of US trained physicians on the unemployment line in general.
2. yes
3. Your wife will support you through the long hours of a surgical residency (even if you aren't busy, you still have to be there) and then get to experience deployment, probably 2-3x during your initial 5 year post-GMO obligation. She probably won't be the Navy's #1 fan.
4. carriers, big deck amphibs yes, subs no
good luck.

Thank you for your input

Are you a Navy doctor? If so, any regrets?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Navy doctor for 11 years...anesthesia and critical care..obviously worked closely with surgeons.

You will unlikely be able to train straight through...most likely a GMO tour or two.

Life will suck for your wife if and when you get deployed.

no surgeons on subs...but definitely on carriers whereyou will spend your days doing jack s hi t....while your surgcial skills fade away.

Thank you for your input

Are you a Navy doctor? If so, any regrets?

So far, the Navy has been good to me. I've trained in the specialty and fellowship of my choice in a relatively direct path. That being said, I spend every day waiting for the other shoe to drop. And it will.

I'm prior Navy, and submarines. If you do a UMO tour, you will be assigned to a squadron and do minimal time on a boat. Could change with SSGN, but I have heard it won't. 4 SSGN's so not a big deal anyway.

Wife was a Marine, so I sympathize, if have to do GMO tour, want to do it on green side. Guess what, it's in you favor. No one wants to go to Lejeune or Pendleton (Lejeune sucks more, unless you want to pawn something, get a tattoo, or see a stripper, in which cause it's Meca).

As far as wive's clubs go, they vary. There are good and there are bad, just like commands. You will have no control over this. It's personality based. If your wife is very independant, she may have little contact with the wive's club. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.