Navy to Army GME-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyu1q84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q: Could I do GME-1 (Internship) in an Army facility as FTIS?

- subQ1: How can you list that on the GME-1 app?

- subQ2: Let's theoretically say, I do not match at any Navy internship site in December, could I apply to an Army site then?

- subQ3: How about as GME-2?

Thanks guys, hopefully I can answer questions for others one day.

Side Note Info:
I am Navy~~!! :D

Motive:
Would like to go to San Antonio, TX .... etc. etc (long story)

Members don't see this ad.

Q: Could I do GME-1 (Internship) in an Army facility as FTIS?

- subQ1: How can you list that on the GME-1 app?

- subQ2: Let's theoretically say, I do not match at any Navy internship site in December, could I apply to an Army site then?

- subQ3: How about as GME-2?

Thanks guys, hopefully I can answer questions for others one day.

Side Note Info:
I am Navy~~!! :D

Motive:
Would like to go to San Antonio, TX .... etc. etc (long story)

Possible...yes. Likely....no. But that does not mean you should not try.

Sub1: I would list it as deferment and talk directly with the PD for the Army, Army GME and the Navy HPSP office. It will take a fair amount of coordinating on your part.

Sub2: No. There are only so many billets for GME1 training. They will be used in the match.

Sub3: Could be slightly easier as they have not gone computer yet and there is more interaction between PDs.

Another option. Try to find an Army person who wants your chosen specialty and would be happy to go to a Navy Hospital. Again, a lot of coordinating, but it has been done before.

There was one navy resident in an SA program (now new staff) that I know of. This person was married to an Army (or Air Force) resident. Barring some life threatening illness in a first-degree relative, this is likley the only way for this to happen (this was also the story of a resident in my residency program-AF married to Navy. Person eventually transferred to the Navy). Just liking San Antonio or having family in the area will not be justification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response guys!
Looks like deferral will be the most viable pathway, if I get it...

Just be sure you are talking full deferment and not a one year discount special.

There are some combined programs out there but it would be outside the norm to train in a completely Navy unaffiliated program.