Sep 9, 2015
Throwaway for privacy reasons,

I am a 5 year veteran of the Navy looking to apply next cycle to medical school. For military reasons, the timing of this cycle just didn't work out. I am not quite sure where I stand though and would love some feedback.

During my time in the Navy I served as a CTI (Chinese language analyst) and worked my entire service for a three letter agency. I learned this language as part of my service (any other DLIers around?). I had the opportunity to travel around to some interesting places and do some extremely gratifying Intelligence work.

Okay now to the stats:
sgpa: 3.3 cgpa: 3.6
MCAT: 515
Volunteering: 200 hours at a local hospital.
Shadowing: approx 50 hours

I earned my Bachelors before joining at a state school in Texas then took a few classes while in the military to round out my prerequisites.

Should I be aiming for low tier MDs or only DO schools? I am not sure if my military service makes up for my non-competitive GPA.

I am a Texas resident so my tentative school list is as follows:
TCOM
All Texas MD schools
Tulane
Dartmouth
Around 5-6 DO schools but not sure which ones yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Your best bet will be with the TX schools, all of them. Non-TX schools tend to be Texan-shy.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
If you apply OOS there is no point applying to any lower tiers. Maybe take a stab at some medium tiers or a couple higher level schools. Otherwise stick with Texas; OOS lower tiers are pretty averse to taking Texans given their track record of never actually attending those schools.

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
T
Sep 9, 2015
Bump to solicit additional responses. Are the state medical schools within reach despite my sGPA or should I focus more on DO schools?