Navy Veteran 3.3 sgpa/ 3.6 gpa 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThrowawayMil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throwaway for privacy reasons,

I am a 5 year veteran of the Navy looking to apply next cycle to medical school. For military reasons, the timing of this cycle just didn't work out. I am not quite sure where I stand though and would love some feedback.

During my time in the Navy I served as a CTI (Chinese language analyst) and worked my entire service for a three letter agency. I learned this language as part of my service (any other DLIers around?). I had the opportunity to travel around to some interesting places and do some extremely gratifying Intelligence work.

Okay now to the stats:
sgpa: 3.3 cgpa: 3.6
MCAT: 515
Volunteering: 200 hours at a local hospital.
Shadowing: approx 50 hours

I earned my Bachelors before joining at a state school in Texas then took a few classes while in the military to round out my prerequisites.

Should I be aiming for low tier MDs or only DO schools? I am not sure if my military service makes up for my non-competitive GPA.

I am a Texas resident so my tentative school list is as follows:
TCOM
All Texas MD schools
Tulane
Dartmouth
Around 5-6 DO schools but not sure which ones yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply OOS there is no point applying to any lower tiers. Maybe take a stab at some medium tiers or a couple higher level schools. Otherwise stick with Texas; OOS lower tiers are pretty averse to taking Texans given their track record of never actually attending those schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump to solicit additional responses. Are the state medical schools within reach despite my sGPA or should I focus more on DO schools?

Bump to solicit additional responses. Are the state medical schools within reach despite my sGPA or should I focus more on DO schools?
In a similar boat...no pun intended...but I'm Army, also a Texan. Did you ever get in?