Navy vs. Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddstothecor

Legislate Immorality
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you out there considering the hpsp program, which do you think is better and why? The Navy offers a 4-year tuition scholarship with a one-for-one commitment for each year funded. The Air Force is the same, but does not offer a 4-year scholarship; only 3 years. Is it worth the wait? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am faced with that same question as well. As of now, I have just finished the application and interviews for the Navy. The airforce due date for these materials will be in June.

If you want my advice, the best way to figure out how to choose is to speak to some dental students who have also signed up for the hpsp program. The financial incentive is the same for both, but like you said.....the Airforce will only pay for 3 out of 4 years. As for me, I will be attending UOP (a 3 year school)....the Airforce recruiter mentioned that they will only pay 2 years, but I would have to serve 3. This might be different for traditional 4 year curriculums.

Some other factors that you might also want to consider:

Navy - Possibility of being assigned on a ship for up to 6 months at a time. More of a "military" system.

Airforce - Most closely resembles a civilian lifestyle. Does not pay for 1st year dental expenses but you have to serve an additional year (if you find that this is the case with traditional 4 year institutions).

I will have to wait first to be accepted, and then make my decision at that time. But for sure it will be a difficult choice. Good luck to you and any others out there considering this option!

Thanks for your input. Do you know much about the opportunity to specialize in each branch? It seems that there may be more options to further your career in the air force. Each has AEGD programs, but the air force has a 2 yr. AEGD. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
dds-

From what I've been told and read, the opportunity to specialize seems pretty equal for both. It's really all up to you and how far you are willing to go with your studies/training. Yes, you are right with the Airforce AEGD being 2 years. However, it's only 2 years because the extra year you have to serve can be counted as a year of AEGD.

Here's the breakdown when I enter UOP and if I decide Airforce:

UOP - 3 yr program
I pay - 1st yr
Airforce pays for 2 yrs
I serve with Airforce - 3 years (extra year is counted for credit for AEGD, hence the 2 years you speak of. So time wise, you would spend an equal # of years in service for both branches.)

I would assume your situation would be similar.

I am leaning towards the Airforce. I spoke to my recruiter and he said that with my stats, I qualify for an "automatic select."

One thing about the Navy....have you applied already? From my understanding, the deadline was this past Friday (01/16/03). You might want to check just in case.

aguiter3--yes, I've applied for the navy scholarship, and you are right, the deadline for application just recently passed. I submitted on time, but I'm just weighing my options. Thanks for your input. I spoke to my air force recruiter, and have not been classified as an autoselect candidate, so I may be taking a chance if I'm granted the scholarship for the Navy, but decide to wait and try to join with the air force. Your information was helpful.:) :) :D :)

No problem. Just glad that I'm not the only one who's faced with this dilemma. From what I've heard, the military needs as many dentists as possible.

If you would, keep me informed with where you get accepted and which branch you ultimately decide. My Navy recruiter mentioned that it will take about 2 months before they make a decision. However, once accepted, we have only a little while to make up our mind. All this happens even before our Airforce application is due in June.

And while its true that I was told I qualified for an "automatic select," I will still be skeptical until I receive the acceptance in writing. It's now a waiting game for both of us. Good luck to you!

Sorry for being so ignorant,

but when you join their program do you go to boot camp and stuff?? LOL. I really dont want to be a soldier ya know...

ChiefSaab-

When you are accepted for a military commission, you will attend officers indoctrination training. I would consider it as a "watered-down" form of boot camp. I have not gone through the process, but that is what I've been told.

The military scholarships are not for everyone. While it is true that you will be considered as a "soldier," you will work as a DENTIST. You will not be doing anything other than that......