nbde 1 biochem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jheidenr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The concentration of which of the following amino acids can be used to determine whether or not dentin has contaminated a purified enamel preparation?

a. lysine
b. proline
c. hydroxyproline
d. phosphotyrosine
e. phosphoserine

the correct answer is c, but I'm not sure why. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Hydroxyproline is unique in collagen, which is found in dentin & cementin's organic matrix, but enamel does NOT have collagens. Enamel has proteins instead. This's just what I think~

Hydroxyproline is unique in collagen, which is found in dentin & cementin's organic matrix, but enamel does NOT have collagens. Enamel has proteins instead. This's just what I think~

Yeah, I was thinking around the same lines, but isn't collagen also rich in proline?

For the boards, I would say put hydroxyproline for an answer if it is there and they are asking about anything with collagen in it. It is an important structure in collagen....(related to Vit C and scurvy and all that). I believe Vit C is needed in order to convert proline to hydroxyproline and this hydroxylated form of proline helps hold collagen together.

yes hydroxyproline is unique in collagen nd its not present anywhere in other tissue ,other aminoacids like proline are seen in other tissues.so hydroxyproline is used to measure the content of collagen.Here he is asking the same thing indirectly in respect to dentin which contains collegen type 1