Shalco

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering what the reasoning is behind this old board question...can anyone help me.

Blocking the hypothalamic-hypophyseal venous portal system increases the secretion of which of the following?
A. Prolactin
B. Oxytocin
C. ACTH
D. TSH

The answer is A. Prolactin but I can't figure out why and wikipedia isn't much help. I hope someone has an answer for me. Thanks

shuntyman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering what the reasoning is behind this old board question...can anyone help me.

Blocking the hypothalamic-hypophyseal venous portal system increases the secretion of which of the following?
A. Prolactin
B. Oxytocin
C. ACTH
D. TSH

The answer is A. Prolactin but I can't figure out why and wikipedia isn't much help. I hope someone has an answer for me. Thanks
prolactin inhibitory factor-pif is secreted by hypothalamus which decreases the secretion of prolactin by pituitary........ hence Blocking the hypothalamic-hypophyseal venous portal system increases the secretion of prolactin

D D S

10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2007
Status
Dental Student
why in diabetic insipidus salt is restricted? can anybody explain?thanks

faith n hope

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
MI
Status
Pre-Dental
why in diabetic insipidus salt is restricted? can anybody explain?thanks
As kidney is not able to concentrate the urine-reabsorb water, bcoz of lack of ADH(primary/ secondary) more of the water will be lost in urine diluting the amt of salt being in urine...
thats what I can think of...I may be wrong

impaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student
prolactin is the only hormone which is under direct inhibitory control

A. Prolactin
B. Oxytocin
C. ACTH
D. TSH