NBDE 2010- really tough???!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amzeedontist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
i've heard from a couple of people who have written the exam this year that the part 1 has become incredibly tough? So bad, in fact, that the person who wrote it is not recommending second time attempts to be done.

I haven't written it even once yet, so i don't really have a choice! Apparently not a single question form the past papers have been repeated?

I'd really appreciate if people who have written it this year would put in their input? including your raw score and computer score?

BUt then again I'm wondering, the computer score can't be all that different, coz it is a percentile at the end of the day, and if everyone found it tough, then the percentile will come down accordingly too, right?

thanks so much you guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I gave my exam only a little while ago i would not say that the exam was very tough if you are well prepared there were lots of questions from old exams . I think stop worrying about anything and just study hard and I am sure you will do very well

yeah d exam was not dat tuff..it had mixture of qstns...easy,tuf,tricky...dey judge d basic concept of person...n those who have stdied 4m india..i bet they vil neva have any prob..because theoretica lstandard is much higher in india :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi..
Even i gave the exam a short while ago. Before i gave the exam even i had heard stuff like that. But there is not much truth to that. Ok the percentage of repeated questions is less but the paper was not very tough. Just be strong with your basics and give it your best shot.
Good Luck!!!

thanks you guys :)
made me feel slightly better, haha, but better nonetheless :)
if you don't mind, could you post your raw scores and computed scores?
thanks sooo much! :))

I dont have my raw score right now. But my computed score is 91... Will get back to u with my raw score as soon as possible

I dont have my raw score right now. But my computed score is 91... Will get back to u with my raw score as soon as possible

thanks muchos :)

hi,
this thread was started few weeks back,few people gave reassuring replies and my morale was boosted.now again there is news all around that nbde 1 has become tougher.I am about to give my exam in a month's time.
any advice from people who gave exam recently would be appreciated.
thanks

hi,
this thread was started few weeks back,few people gave reassuring replies and my morale was boosted.now again there is news all around that nbde 1 has become tougher.I am about to give my exam in a month's time.
any advice from people who gave exam recently would be appreciated.
thanks

/../

Last edited:
i gave it in march, no its not tough, do the test papers. i got 84, i f*cked up dental anatomy coz after my first half was done i realized that i had mixed right n left sides of jaw, so worked my questions with opposite tooth numbers. i just hate myself for being so careless, but there is nothing i could do n that affected my performance in second part as well, just to know right there that 1 mistake is going to put me way back in my scores.:mad:
but the test was not like really tough, work hard, get good sleep, dont stress yourself out n be confident. all the best. :thumbup:

is it true that the format for retakers is different than the 1st time takers...i heard the difficulty level is more for retakers.

Members don't see this ad :)
i gave it in march, no its not tough, do the test papers. i got 84, i f*cked up dental anatomy coz after my first half was done i realized that i had mixed right n left sides of jaw, so worked my questions with opposite tooth numbers. i just hate myself for being so careless, but there is nothing i could do n that affected my performance in second part as well, just to know right there that 1 mistake is going to put me way back in my scores.:mad:
but the test was not like really tough, work hard, get good sleep, dont stress yourself out n be confident. all the best. :thumbup:

hi canine149
r u an FTD.i am simply asking because I have a score of 84 in my first attempt,planning to retake in a month.because i think for an FTD with 84 chances are not very good.what is your opinion.
thanks

hi canine149
r u an FTD.i am simply asking because I have a score of 84 in my first attempt,planning to retake in a month.because i think for an FTD with 84 chances are not very good.what is your opinion.
thanks

i am an FTD. n i have no idea if this is enough or not, it all depends on your overall application, thats what i have heard.

first time i took part 1 it was tough but the second time i had a lot of old questions, and it was'nt that dificult, so memorize verryyyy weelll those old tests because you will see a lot of repetitions or reworded questions and remember, the information is finite, they are not going to invent any more jajja:)

good luck on ur results nbde2008..
i guess ur right ! :)

hi guys..
jus had a query regarding no. of attempts for part 1 .. i took my part 1 in july 2009.. is it possible to retake the exam in 2010 as i had heard that from 2010 u can HAVE RETAKES IF U HAVE ALREADY PASSED THE EXAM ONCE .kindly clarify

if you registered before dec 2009 for re-take only then can you apply for re examination.(or if you failed)

If you passed, you can still retake it since it was done before 2010. Once you pass, you have to stick with that score no matter what it is. I called ADA twice, just to make sure. Hope this helps.

thankx endodontia... but does that mean that if i appeared for my exam b4 2010 n passed it .. can i still retake take it in 2010 n if i pass it i n 2010 no matter wid wt score i have to stick to that....

Yes. What were your stats on part I? are you sure you want to retake it? You have only one more chance... and if you pass it, that will be your final score. In 2012, everything will be reported as Pass/Fail only.

thankx endodontia... but does that mean that if i appeared for my exam b4 2010 n passed it .. can i still retake take it in 2010 n if i pass it i n 2010 no matter wid wt score i have to stick to that....

hi endo...my stats r part 1 88/109/3.85... do u think i shud retake part 1 or go for part 2.. so that i can apply to more no. of schools

If you go for part 1 again, I will call you crazy! 88 is great !!! even with those results you can easily land a spot in programs. I know many students with stats like yours who made it in this year. Apply early. If you want to keep yourself busy with something, then go for part 2. Don't even think of retaking part 1! IT's waste of money, time and energy and there is no guarantee that you will land a better score!

hi endo...my stats r part 1 88/109/3.85... do u think i shud retake part 1 or go for part 2.. so that i can apply to more no. of schools

I agree with Bombshell. You have a GREAT score on part I. Your stats are great and you will get in. I would call you crazy too, stick with your score!!! If you have some time, start studying for part 2. You should definitely apply for the 2011 cycle regardless if you took part II or not. Congrats!!!:)

If you go for part 1 again, I will call you crazy! 88 is great !!! even with those results you can easily land a spot in programs. I know many students with stats like yours who made it in this year. Apply early. If you want to keep yourself busy with something, then go for part 2. Don't even think of retaking part 1! IT's waste of money, time and energy and there is no guarantee that you will land a better score!

Hi . Can anyone help me .. I gave my part1 in 2008 Got an 81. I am planning to give my part1 again this yr but kinda worried about it since this is the last attempt.. I have 108 in toefl and 3.11 gpa. Please give me some suggestions.. I know 81 is too less as I have applied to many schools with no response. Thanks

thanx guys... would rather nt retake part 1,,, n go 4 part 2.

i am an FTD. n i have no idea if this is enough or not, it all depends on your overall application, thats what i have heard.

Hi Canine149..

Could you please help there - in application process and documentation verification stage of NDEB stage 2 .. do the candidates need to get the documents verified through WES or NDEB do it themself. I am bit confused there as no information on website.
I am aware that for applying for any school or uni... candidates need to pay and use wes services to verify the documents.

Please do spare some time to write max info about it as I am in process to start.

Regards,

Hi . Can anyone help me .. I gave my part1 in 2008 Got an 81. I am planning to give my part1 again this yr but kinda worried about it since this is the last attempt.. I have 108 in toefl and 3.11 gpa. Please give me some suggestions.. I know 81 is too less as I have applied to many schools with no response. Thanks

Hmm, your scores are not bad but could be better. I think if your committed you should retake part 1 but thats my opinion. Someone else more experienced should definitely give you some input on the matter. Its a good question for someone in the 80-83 nbde 1 score range.

I agree with Bombshell. You have a GREAT score on part I. Your stats are great and you will get in. I would call you crazy too, stick with your score!!! If you have some time, start studying for part 2. You should definitely apply for the 2011 cycle regardless if you took part II or not. Congrats!!!:)
hi
plz can u tell me wats final rule for 2010 if a student appear 1st time in 2010 and she cant get good score than can she reappear?and i m cofuse about old papers it should start from 1971 papers or 1981?plz reply me

i have scored 86 part 1. i am really confused with this score. i have phd degree in prosthodontics, teaching exp in preclinical classes and clinical, posters and publications. i had scholarships when i study for dental degree and phd. i am graduated from azerbaijan. but my gpa is 2.3 the reason of this is i did not give money to our profesors in azerbaijan. education is very bribed in azerbaijan. professors do not give good grades if you do not give them money. how can i explain this to schools which i want to apply. and also my gpa from ankara university (phd) is 3.8.

thank you

i have scored 86 part 1. i am really confused with this score. i have phd degree in prosthodontics, teaching exp in preclinical classes and clinical, posters and publications. i had scholarships when i study for dental degree and phd. i am graduated from azerbaijan. but my gpa is 2.3 the reason of this is i did not give money to our profesors in azerbaijan. education is very bribed in azerbaijan. professors do not give good grades if you do not give them money. how can i explain this to schools which i want to apply. and also my gpa from ankara university (phd) is 3.8.

thank you

I have been to several former USSR countries and I know the bribery is everywhere. So I believe that you are telling us the truth. But tt is very difficult to convince the admission committee of US dental schools by blaming the professor in your country since most of them have no idea how the situation look like in other part of world. Some of them may even never heard of the country of Azerbajan. So I am not sure whether blaming your professor is a good idea. Besides, there are two potential side effects:

1. Your school's credibility. If it is true that the professors from your school take bribes, US dental school admission committee will probably think the dental schools in your country are not well-qualified schools? What kind of education can dental students get from such school?

2. All the professors from all over the world have one thing in common: they don't like students to blame them. So when you blame your low GPA to your professor in old school, you will somehow give admission committee in US dental school a negative impression.

I am not saying that you should not blame your professor. I just wanna you have my two cents opinion. Hope you will make wise decision.

Last edited:
which is a better time, considering the new rules by ada. getting a pass /fail ? or a score? wil getting just a pass/fail decrease the chances of making it into a good unive?

ive got my BDS degree 10 years ago from middle east and since then ive been busy with clinical work and in direct contact with patients and didnt have time to refresh my basics in dentistry ... im in US now and dont know how to start reading again ... is there any groups or places that i can find a partner to start reading with ?? i need to prepare for part 1

hi everyone
Even I have the same confusion.someone plz help us.
Thanks in advance
which is a better time, considering the new rules by ada. getting a pass /fail ? or a score? wil getting just a pass/fail decrease the chances of making it into a good unive?

The part one is tough, but after 2012 will pass or fail, if you wanna get in a dental school in US you need good board score and also I would look into assisting or other hands on experience. You really need to know your stuff to be able to get a good score. Kaplan is a weak source, it will pass you but not very high, dental decks lots of mistakes, Mosby's fro part I and frist aid for part I if you know that you should be ok, dont take this lightely because if you pass with 75, thats it you can not retake it