NBDE Part 1 2007 Results Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wessto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just wanted to start a thread for people to post their raw and scaled scores for part 1 in 2007. I've seen a handful of threads with scores in them but I would like to see them all in one place. It would be very helpful to those of us taking boards soon to see how the scores are coming in. Even if you have not received your comprehensive score, please post your raw score then update it later.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Anyone taken it yet? What's with all the threads of international dentists taking part 1? Is it required to get into a program stateside?

hey der...
i gave my xam on 23april..... m anxiously waitin 4 da scores....:scared:
heard da scores des days r not so gud....
god help us all!!!!

Hey did u get ur results???????old mirage took on 25/4 got his results.Did u call ADA??

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm.
yes i got my results 2day afternoon.
:( scored bad...
just 81...
dont kno wat i shud do....
cud u advice ....
i think i need 2 rewrite again....:(

Bump...

Moderators, would it be possible to sticky this thread at the top for a few months?

Thanks.

My comp score is 81....planning to write again :(
Any suggestions please....

hi guys
got my score ....its 87
donno where i stand
we shud all contact ADA..................if they are gonna re calibrate later in sep/oct..................we all who appeared between feb-sep 2007 will be in GREAT disadvantage
plz do smthing about it
am also planning to fax ada as yuvadoc did
i also called them up and they dont attend the calls regarding new pattern scores
our admissions are at stake now

It seems that the magic number is 87 with the new scoring pattern. I have seen lots of people with a score of 87. Anything higher than that is 91.... and thats it! Nothing higher. I will be sending a fax over to Dr. Tsai at the ADA soon. I will also try to get my whole class involved in this. I understand that the score itself is meaningless, but when compared to people who have taken the test last year or those taking it a few months after us, it is not fair.

Two of myfriends gave the exam in March one got 90% and the other got 93%. Its just that they do not paticipate in SDN forum

hey guys.
any ideas on how to study for this exam? whats the best way to get ready for this ****.

Two of myfriends gave the exam in March one got 90% and the other got 93%. Its just that they do not paticipate in SDN forum

I know 3 friends took part1 this year. the funny is one is also 87. but the other two got 91 and 94.
I think if you do pretty well, you still can get high score in part1.

I know 3 friends took part1 this year. the funny is one is also 87. but the other two got 91 and 94.
I think if you do pretty well, you still can get high score in part1.

No one is saying at scores above 90 is impossible. Its just harder to achieve. That in itself makes it unfair if you are compared to people who took the old format.

It seems that the magic number is 87 with the new scoring pattern. I have seen lots of people with a score of 87. Anything higher than that is 91.... and thats it! Nothing higher. I will be sending a fax over to Dr. Tsai at the ADA soon. I will also try to get my whole class involved in this. I understand that the score itself is meaningless, but when compared to people who have taken the test last year or those taking it a few months after us, it is not fair.

could you please tell me what makes you be too extremly sure thatyour 87 means much more that a last years 87 ?? several people have also been posting low and high 90' in the new pattern , 87 is just 87 today yestarday 1 or 2 years ago or in 1 or 2 years , period . And besides do not be that mad with your score you did very well , 87 is a pretty competitive score , of course that there are going to be people with scores higher and also lower than you , thats life .I believe that you should be happy with your 87 , do extra things and try to compensate your curriculum , take part 2 and do your best, and if you 're that sure that you deserved a 92 , 93 etc , ok good for you , that means that you really studied and know the stuff . So then you own aomething precious and not tangible : knowledge . Lets stop blaming the world when there is nothing to blame about , be proactive , act and think forward .
It's just my humble opinion and I am not tryig to make a discussion.
Good luck and the best on all your goals

Members don't see this ad :)
could you please tell me what makes you be too extremly sure thatyour 87 means much more that a last years 87 ?? several people have also been posting low and high 90' in the new pattern , 87 is just 87 today yestarday 1 or 2 years ago or in 1 or 2 years , period . And besides do not be that mad with your score you did very well , 87 is a pretty competitive score , of course that there are going to be people with scores higher and also lower than you , thats life .I believe that you should be happy with your 87 , do extra things and try to compensate your curriculum , take part 2 and do your best, and if you 're that sure that you deserved a 92 , 93 etc , ok good for you , that means that you really studied and know the stuff . So then you own aomething precious and not tangible : knowledge . Lets stop blaming the world when there is nothing to blame about , be proactive , act and think forward .

You cannot say that his 87 is worth the same as last year's 87. No one will know if today's scores is comparable to previous scores until the statistical analysis is done in september/october. What we do know now, however is that there is a trend of lower scores. That trend has been especially obvious to us here at UCSF. Las year about 25 students took the old format exam with only 4 students scoring below a 90. This year with the new format, more than 20 students have already taken the exam and only 2 scored above a 90. If that is not a trend I dont know what is.

Wats the main difference between the new and the old format?
Wat makes it tougher to get a higher score with the new format?

earlier people use to get standard scores in each subject not raw score

that means: if u got 95 in anatomy that didnot mean u got 95 correct out of 100 that was a adjusted score or standard score..........according to a previously prepared data of scores .......

but now if u get 95 that means no of correct questions u attempted............

You cannot say that his 87 is worth the same as last year's 87. No one will know if today's scores is comparable to previous scores until the statistical analysis is done in september/october. What we do know now, however is that there is a trend of lower scores. That trend has been especially obvious to us here at UCSF. Las year about 25 students took the old format exam with only 4 students scoring below a 90. This year with the new format, more than 20 students have already taken the exam and only 2 scored above a 90. If that is not a trend I dont know what is.

I think Dreday has a point. Seven students from two different schools (New York and Florida) reported similar data. – pervious year (2006) test takers statistically scored much higher.

earlier people use to get standard scores in each subject not raw score

that means: if u got 95 in anatomy that didnot mean u got 95 correct out of 100 that was a adjusted score or standard score..........according to a previously prepared data of scores .......

but now if u get 95 that means no of correct questions u attempted............

Tnx SPT!

I totally agree with this.People just want to blame their lack of effort on someone else.If you are strong,prove it...rather than crying about it.

dentstar is right,just be ready for battle 99bmw my target,dont worry for scale,i have to make all the answers correct wheather hard or easy,i dont know anything else.

I totally agree with this.People just want to blame their lack of effort on someone else.If you are strong,prove it...rather than crying about it.

you are kidding right??? You cannot say that his 87 is worth the same as last year's 87. No one will know if today's scores is comparable to previous scores until the statistical analysis is done in september/october. What we do know now, however is that there is a trend of lower scores. That trend has been especially obvious to us here at UCSF. Las year about 25 students took the old format exam with only 4 students scoring below a 90. This year with the new format, more than 20 students have already taken the exam and only 2 scored above a 90. If that is not a trend I dont know what is.

you are kidding right??? You cannot say that his 87 is worth the same as last year's 87. No one will know if today's scores is comparable to previous scores until the statistical analysis is done in september/october. What we do know now, however is that there is a trend of lower scores. That trend has been especially obvious to us here at UCSF. Las year about 25 students took the old format exam with only 4 students scoring below a 90. This year with the new format, more than 20 students have already taken the exam and only 2 scored above a 90. If that is not a trend I dont know what is.

Kindly refer to your own post (#3)in thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=400563
Do you think the cordinator is misleading everyone???????????
If they were to change the score pattern, they would notify everyone(as in TOEFL EXAM...THE EQUIVALENT SCORE IS GIVEN FOR IBT/CBT/PAPER BASED)

asdf 84:
That is the winner's spirit.Keep it up.

Kindly refer to your own post (#3)in thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=400563
Do you think the cordinator is misleading everyone???????????
If they were to change the score pattern, they would notify everyone(as in TOEFL EXAM...THE EQUIVALENT SCORE IS GIVEN FOR IBT/CBT/PAPER BASED)

asdf 84:
That is the winner's spirit.Keep it up.

No I dont think the coordinator is intentionally misleading everyone. But I do know that the Board Examination runs like any other scientific experiments. First you do pilot studies to creat a curve. Then you use that pilot study to create a scale by which to run your experiments. That is the same way the ADA conducts their experiemnts. Most of the time scientists expect experiments to result in a certain way, and it doesnt! This appears to be one of the times. I think, he is mislead by his pilot study and will not be convinced that his scale is off until september/octorber when his sample size has given his experiment enough POWER to merit recalibration.

No I dont think the coordinator is intentionally misleading everyone. But I do know that the Board Examination runs like any other scientific experiments. First you do pilot studies to creat a curve. Then you use that pilot study to create a scale by which to run your experiments. That is the same way the ADA conducts their experiemnts. Most of the time scientists expect experiments to result in a certain way, and it doesnt! This appears to be one of the times. I think, he is mislead by his pilot study and will not be convinced that his scale is off until september/octorber when his sample size has given his experiment enough POWER to merit recalibration.

Hey bro,

what happens to all those who took and will take the new format before Septemeber/October? Will our scores be re-calibrated as well?...If the scoring isn't going to change then it would just be fair not to compare it with scores prior to the new format.

Hey bro,

what happens to all those who took and will take the new format before Septemeber/October? Will our scores be re-calibrated as well?...If the scoring isn't going to change then it would just be fair not to compare it with scores prior to the new format.

I have no idea. Please call Dr. Tsai and ask him. Then let us all know. I've called that place too many times already. They need to hear from more people so that they do something about it.

I was just going through some of the scores people have posted on SDN regarding their grades and the averages posted in their grade reports.

It seems that the national mean has not changed, AT ALL, since February. they all have been:

Anatomy 66.2
Phys/BioChem 64.2
Path/mic 64.9
DAO 74.6

Does this make sense to anyone else? How can the average not change from February until now!?!!?!?!? Not even a tenth of a point. Whats the point of giving this information to us in the grade report?

I was just going through some of the scores people have posted on SDN regarding their grades and the averages posted in their grade reports.

It seems that the national mean has not changed, AT ALL, since February. they all have been:

Anatomy 66.2
Phys/BioChem 64.2
Path/mic 64.9
DAO 74.6

Does this make sense to anyone else? How can the average not change from February until now!?!!?!?!? Not even a tenth of a point. Whats the point of giving this information to us in the grade report?

i reall dont understand all this..... so what do u think.... if 66.2 means the average people are doing.... this means they are doing better than this.... right... then why are sooo many people gettin in low and mid 80s... i dont get it at all....

i reall dont understand all this..... so what do u think.... if 66.2 means the average people are doing.... this means they are doing better than this.... right... then why are sooo many people gettin in low and mid 80s... i dont get it at all....

veera.....dont worry bout it. "lots" of people scoring in the 90s on the new exam is relative...this is within the SDN community, and is NOT a reflection of EVERYONE. not one bit. SDN is a forum with students whom are overachievers and care much about their grades, and there seems to be a correlation between those types of people and good grades. so dont sweat it. you will also see that there are NOT students scoring 95, 96, 97 and so on, which would be the case in the past on SDN.
as was mentioned before, we know of at least 2 schools which score at 90 as a school-wide average nearly every year, and the scores they are seeing on the new exam are nearly 6 points lower.
the ada will do NOTHING until they have a large sample size. thats for sure. just as itd be unfair NOT to adjust the scores if necessary, itd be equally wrong for them to just jump in and add points to without any statistical significance.
many people and schools are aware. give it a bit of time, as a large number of students will be writing the exam this june-july..

veera.....dont worry bout it. "lots" of people scoring in the 90s on the new exam is relative...this is within the SDN community, and is NOT a reflection of EVERYONE. not one bit. SDN is a forum with students whom are overachievers and care much about their grades, and there seems to be a correlation between those types of people and good grades. so dont sweat it. you will also see that there are NOT students scoring 95, 96, 97 and so on, which would be the case in the past on SDN.
as was mentioned before, we know of at least 2 schools which score at 90 as a school-wide average nearly every year, and the scores they are seeing on the new exam are nearly 6 points lower.
the ada will do NOTHING until they have a large sample size. thats for sure. just as itd be unfair NOT to adjust the scores if necessary, itd be equally wrong for them to just jump in and add points to without any statistical significance.
many people and schools are aware. give it a bit of time, as a large number of students will be writing the exam this june-july..

hey thanks a lot... but u know how scarey it is.... 82... its really bothering me.... hope all works well...." the ada will do NOTHING until they have a large sample size ".... what does this mean...btw what do u think if lots of people call the ada and inform them.. will it be of some use....

hey thanks a lot... but u know how scarey it is.... 82... its really bothering me.... hope all works well...." the ada will do NOTHING until they have a large sample size ".... what does this mean...btw what do u think if lots of people call the ada and inform them.. will it be of some use....

no one knows what an 82 actually means with regard to the old exams. refer to this <http://dentistry.uic.edu/students/exams/nbp1_1998/NatBrdPrt1Dec1998ScoreConversion.pdf> and convert your raw scores to the old conversion. i will bet that your 82 this year, when converting to the old scores, will come out somewhere in the 88 range. contrary to what some people say, this conversion may actually be accurate. this is based on the fact that the standardized national average has NOT changed over the years (not this year and not previous years). do some research into old posts re: the matter.
as for the ada waiting for a large sample size, i meant to say that they will not readjust any scores because they do not have a large enough statistical sample size to make any changes...im sure that they need a certain number of students to have written the exam before they can analyze the new format with statistical significance.
many people have been calling the ada, and they are more than aware. if youd like to call and voice your concern, proceed.
as for foreign scores and admission, i have not a clue? i am a US citizen, so i have never dealt with such. sorry....
let me know if there is anything else you were wondering...

hey doc
i scored 82 in part 1 given in may 2007 n im an international dentist. but i really expected a better score . my gpa 3.8 . but i wonder is it worth applying to various univ. or shud rewrite

Hi there,

I just wanted to start a thread for people to post their raw and scaled scores for part 1 in 2007. I've seen a handful of threads with scores in them but I would like to see them all in one place. It would be very helpful to those of us taking boards soon to see how the scores are coming in. Even if you have not received your comprehensive score, please post your raw score then update it later.

Thanks!
hey .i have given the nbde part 1 in may 2007 and got 83.is it enough to get admission under new pattern or should i retake the exam.i am very confused. everyone is getting score in mid 80s in 2007.

hey doc
i scored 82 in part 1 given in may 2007 n im an international dentist. but i really expected a better score . my gpa 3.8 . but i wonder is it worth applying to various univ. or shud rewrite
hey i also gave part 1 in may 2007 and got 2007.i also want to know whether it is enough to get admission or should i retake the exam.confusedddddddddddd.

hey doc
hey. i also gave part 1 in may 2007 and got 83.is it enough to get admission or should i retake the exam. confuseddddddddddddd

as per going through this thread ,there is a line of hope if there is difference of 6 points in score conversion but want to know if actually there is a fall in scoring so that we can apply to various univ. as they might consider the same because the would also wud be informed by the examination services..

nybody with latest scores 2007 please put in here so that we can actually know the trend..how it is going ....actually difficult .......or it was us to find the new pattern exam difficult and scored low

ny advice please......?????????????

hi .i gave nbde part 1 in may 2007 and got 83.is it well enough to get admission or should i retake the exam? now scoring pattern is different i think.plss guide me

Please quit posting your score and question. If someone wants to respond, they will.

hi .i gave nbde part 1 in may 2007 and got 83.is it well enough to get admission or should i retake the exam? now scoring pattern is different i think.plss guide me

Hi everybody!

I am planning to appear in september 2007. I am quite confused after reading abt the fellows who appeared in 2007 and got a low score on average as compared to 2006 batches. When should I appear on the safe side to avoid the new unfair scoring system?

Does comperhesive NBDE part one means if you fail you should retake whole the test? its not like befor wich one could retake just the parts which has been failed in them? :cool: sounds awkard new format

hi
i ve my result out about 20 days back and i have a score of 89 .... does any one no or can u tell me where all i can get with this new pattern scoring.

I got my scores yest,
Comp scores: 91

Raw scores:
Anatomy: 85
Phys/BioChem: 79
Path/mic:85
DAO: 84

DrTacoElf
You can't use this scale to assess other test editions exept the 1998 one. Doing so is a BIG mistake!!!

gudluck
Congratulations, Doctor! You scores are great! :)

Has anybody taken the old tests (like the '98 test) to see about where their averages are, and then taken the new one and noticed a difference in the scaled scores?

We know the scales are different, but I would (perhaps naively) hope that if the scale has changed, the difficulty of the questions has also changed - thus making it possible to get a higher raw score on the new format and yield the same scaled score. Anyone checked this? That would tell us if we really should expect the 5 point drop or not.