NBDE Part 1 after first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrf271psu

'ello.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about 2nd year being very stressful for dental students. From what I understand, most schools have students taking the first part of the boards after the second year of school. so here are a couple questions:

- i know nova takes the first part after first year. what other schools do this?

- for those who have taken boards after first year - does it make 2nd year less stressful? also, did you feel prepared to take boards after one year? did your school give you sufficient time off to study?

(i couldnt find anything in the NBDE discussion threads)

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading about 2nd year being very stressful for dental students. From what I understand, most schools have students taking the first part of the boards after the second year of school. so here are a couple questions:

- i know nova takes the first part after first year. what other schools do this?

- for those who have taken boards after first year - does it make 2nd year less stressful? also, did you feel prepared to take boards after one year? did your school give you sufficient time off to study?

We take boards after first year at Maryland and almost all upperclassman agree that 1st year was definitely the most rigorous and it tapers off 2nd year.

To be completely honest, first year really hasn't been all that bad. Granted, I don't want to specialize so I rarely stress. Anyhow, I was pleased to hear that it only gets easier.

I'm very glad I chose to go to a school that takes boards after 1st year. A huge plus in my opinion.

jb!:)

Meharry SOD took it after first year forever, but changed it for the current sophmore class to take it this summer. As I understand it, Meharry will be going back to taking it after freshman year again. I don't have a point of reference other than taking it after year 1, but I will say that I loved it that way. Everything else seems so much more bearable when you knock out NBDE I quickly.