NBDE part 1 question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdentostar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q:Tooth#19 is anesthetized and the pateints complains of pain at the injection site and inability to open fully.Is it due to?
1.spasm of temporalis muscle.
2.trauma to inferior alveolar nerve.
3.injection into medial pterygoid muscle.
4.damage due to facial nerve during the injection.

Q.Patient has lost tooth # 19 filling over a year ago.#19 has a missing occlusal restoration and a fractured ML cusp.What would be most likely consequence of patients delay in having the lost restoration replaced?
1.supra eruption of #14.
2.chewing insefficiency.
3.loss of canine disocclusion.
4.mesial drift of #18.

Appreciate the choice with a good explination.
Thankyou.
star.

Members don't see this ad.

Q:Tooth#19 is anesthetized and the pateints complains of pain at the injection site and inability to open fully.Is it due to?

Q.Patient has lost tooth # 19 filling over a year ago.#19 has a missing occlusal restoration and a fractured ML cusp.What would be most likely consequence of patients delay in having the lost restoration replaced?
1.supra eruption of #14.
2.chewing insefficiency.
4.mesial drift of #18.

Thankyou.
star.

Q1. ans is 1.... and ....Q2. ans is 2 ......correct me if I'm wrong?.:idea:

The first question is about inability to open mouth fully and pain in inj site.The tooth referred as #19 is the left lower first molar if i am not wrong and the muscle that can be affected by an inf alv nerve inj is medial pterygoid ..there could be a hematoma in that region and there could be trismus due to hematoma..hence inability to open mouth..I dont think temporalis can be involved as its origin and insertion is from the temporal bone to the tip of coronoid process.The damage to facial nerve could be a reason but it does not cause trismus(inability to open mouth fully) and a damage to inf alv nerve would cause alteraltion in sensation and little change in jaw movement

The second question is abt occlusal filling loss and mesio lingual cusp fracture of lower left first molar .It could be possible by supraerution of #14 or the upper left first molar.The mesial drift of #18 cant be responsible so cant the loss of chewing efficiency and i am not sure how canine disocclusion can affect molar filling...

I still havet covered dental anat..but this is my reasoning..

please let me know if my answers are wrong..

1.supra eruption of #14.
2.chewing insefficiency.
4.mesial drift of #18.

Thankyou.
star.

i think Q 1 - ans is 3 & Q2 - ans is2 . correct me if iam wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks 4 the input to all of you but I'm still n't sure about Q 1. These were the question i found on ada website for the new format 2007 part 1 along with the case history.

Q 1-ans 3 ;
Q 2-ans 2

it had happened to a patient of mine and my boss had asked me for an explation ...if it were the nerve than there would be parethesia ...
scice there is trismus and the medial pterigoid in closest to the site of injection not the temporalis
as for the next ?...well in my reasoning it is if a filling falls off occ forces are not directed in the long axis and also there is ...what i d say overload to the tooth with the disloged filling and hence ............
correct me pls pls ......i m ariting exam very soon

The first question is about inability to open mouth fully and pain in inj site.The tooth referred as #19 is the left lower first molar if i am not wrong and the muscle that can be affected by an inf alv nerve inj is medial pterygoid ..there could be a hematoma in that region and there could be trismus due to hematoma..hence inability to open mouth..I dont think temporalis can be involved as its origin and insertion is from the temporal bone to the tip of coronoid process.The damage to facial nerve could be a reason but it does not cause trismus(inability to open mouth fully) and a damage to inf alv nerve would cause alteraltion in sensation and little change in jaw movement

The second question is abt occlusal filling loss and mesio lingual cusp fracture of lower left first molar .It could be possible by supraerution of #14 or the upper left first molar.The mesial drift of #18 cant be responsible so cant the loss of chewing efficiency and i am not sure how canine disocclusion can affect molar filling...

I still havet covered dental anat..but this is my reasoning..

please let me know if my answers are wrong..

I completely agree with akshi, of the available answer choices, Q1. Pterygoideus &, Q2. Supra-eruption of #14