NBDE Part 1 - Resources with limited study time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepredent2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about 6 weeks until part 1. I have school 5 hours a day dedicated. Given that what would you recommend to use.

Resources I have:

First Aid NBDE
Dental deck
Mastery app
300 dental facts video

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using everything you're using minus First Aid... personally, I found it to be too dense to read. I did purchase the PassTheDentalBoard subscription though, found it to be very useful for studying. I highly recommend it.
I take my exam in less than 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. Message me if you have any questions.

I took mine on July 3rd after studying for 2 weeks, 5 days a week, for 8 hours each day.

I just used the Mastery App and some released ADA exams from '98. Felt good about the test, but I guess we'll see if I passed.

Frankly, if you're pushing hard, you can study and be done in a couple weeks. Don't use too much stuff though. If you're into just doing questions, I'd go through the decks once and review the info on the cards. It's a lot, but it helps. Mastery App is similar, but less in depth.

The most money for me was the practice exam I did from the ADA. Some questions were exact repeats off of the test, and I wouldn't have known them had I not taken that exam as a practice. The best thing you can do IMO is take real, old, exams from the ADA.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a while, but I used First aid, decks, and a bunch of the released exams. I felt like decks was way too all over the place, and so not a great study guide for comprehensive knowledge, but it really helps you find out where your holes are. I used First Aid as my primary study material, as I liked that it was much more orderly. What I used to recommend was to go through First aid, and then go through decks, and you should have things covered pretty well.

Everyone studies differently, but good luck!

I used decks and mastery app for part I and II and any released exams I could get my hands on. I went through the app three times eliminating ones I got right which isn't too bad spread out. On decks pay attention to the bottom of the card where it says "notes" and the little notepad icon. That saved me on a bunch of questions. Things that were reworded from the way the card was written, or related conditions that were easily confused; things like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Update:

I passed with just the Mastery App and a released exam from the ADA as a resource. That said, you do you. If you feel weak, use YouTube to shore up a subject area you don't know anything about. If you feel like you need an additional source, go for it. The rule of thumb is two sources to study from. More makes you crazy, less and you run the risk of not knowing enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sorry a bit late buy....

Thank you for all your feedback! I appreciate the help! I passed by boards.

Mastery app, completed twice, did't help me in particular too much for my exam. I felt when it came to this exam having a good foundation from the first two years of dental school helped the most. I think dental decks plus first aid helped me the most. I focused on one section at a time, such as anatomy, used first aid, dental decks and even my anatomy notes from D1. I made my own notes on the dental decks with first aid, which probably helped retain info.

everyone has their own way of studying. I'm glad all the studying paid off, thanks again for all your feedback.

Reactions: 1 users