NBDE Part 1 !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilaclove

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What dental schools are good in India or overseas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi guys!!

im new to this forum so if there is a thread similar to this one, sorry!!

well the issue is that my parents just found out info on manipal dentistry, and are pretty certain on sending me.

i am an nri, currently residing in the us and am 20, i used to live in india 10 years ago, so havent been thru the indian studing in a while! i jsut had a few questions if anyone can help id be very thankful!!

1. will an nri be able to cop up, meaning the studying wise?
2. are there separate dorms or housing for nris'?
3. after completeing the dental course, how many years will i have to study to get a dental degree in the us?
4. is manipal dentistry recognized in the us?
5. any other info that could help a prospective student..i am very nervous!! help mee!!!!

hmmmm.....i think thats not a good decision, coz...considering you are a NRI , i assume you would eventually practice dentistry in US...then doing
5 yrs of dentistry in India and again 2-3 yrs of advanced standing program in US to earn a DDS/DMD degree ..i don't think its wise enough doing all this detouring...

look into the finances ....during my time (1997) NRI 's are charged 50,000 $ tution fees only for the 4 yrs BDS program + your expenses..etc.,,,.and after that you will return US apply for DDS/DMD advanced standing program for 2-3 yrs and its gonna cost 120,000 $ - 210,000 $ ( after 5 yrs it would be more expensive)...

compare with the traditional US DDS/DMD 4 yr program ..which wouldnt cost you more than 120,000 $ (on average)..

so discuss all the pros and cons with your parents...

lastly, if you think you can't make it to US dental school now, try to work on Master's program and do all that GPA makeover, class standing, some research, some community service, strong ref letters, whatever..

hope this helps...

you can still check with others...

best wishes

hi guys!!

im new to this forum so if there is a thread similar to this one, sorry!!

well the issue is that my parents just found out info on manipal dentistry, and are pretty certain on sending me.

i am an nri, currently residing in the us and am 20, i used to live in india 10 years ago, so havent been thru the indian studing in a while! i jsut had a few questions if anyone can help id be very thankful!!

1. will an nri be able to cop up, meaning the studying wise?
2. are there separate dorms or housing for nris'?
3. after completeing the dental course, how many years will i have to study to get a dental degree in the us?
4. is manipal dentistry recognized in the us?
5. any other info that could help a prospective student..i am very nervous!! help mee!!!!

Hi I am not sure which one is more economical. but I can answer ur questions since I studied in manipal

Yes they have a big separate building for NRIs. 50 % seats in manipal dental college are for NRIs from all over the world. You wont hv problem. There will be many more like u. It is not recognised. You will hv to do 2-3 years of advanced standing program after 5 years of study in india.

One will be able to pass wth old question papers etc. Studies in india need a little extra time and devotion compared to US schools. But NRIs can still be able to manage. Also the school faculty wont be as frank as US, they are strict.

Members don't see this ad :)
just go on u will love Manipal

what about entry to UK after graduating from manipal

if you can study like patata , you will pass with atleast half a dozen gold medals, but the flop side is that at the end of the day you will find people like me there, and you will gain more in extracuricular activities at the expense of your studies

so better follow patata & seek his personal advice

Polestar i think you are forgetting who got what :laugh: anyhow i still say it just go ahead you will love it !

P.S: if u do ok also you will get GPA like 3.25

Sorry i didnt see mass msg so @ Mass - entering UK was i guess also easy earlier we have a lot of manipal students there but i guess NHS has now stopped taking new candidates and its real difficult there so i advice you to search thoriughly before you take a plunge that side unless you are a citizen there !