NBDE part 2 (advice needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pixels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a very low score in NBDE part 1 - 75%. I kind of gave up on my dream to be a dentist in the USA after that. This was a year back in 2010. I applied to a few schools but didn't hear anything from them for 2011 intakes. So, I decided it was of no use and I didn't even apply to any schools the second time for intakes in 2012 thinking it was a waste of money and time. But my conscience is not letting me give up. Do you think I should take part 2? Is it going to be of any use? Provided I do take it in 2012, I will have 5 chances to retake it right? And also could you guide me as to which books are best for the NBDE 2 prep? Please help me out guys. I feel my life is screwed up. I'm really not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi pixels,

go ahead and study for NBDE part2. Use the usual books - mosby,decks,first aid and the ASDA papers.
There are many threads regarding study material. Start preparing ASAP and in the best way.

There may be a chance that you do get in DDS. But then - even if you don't get a DDS by no means is your life screwed up.

All the best !!

Hi all,

I got a very low score in NBDE part 1 - 75%. I kind of gave up on my dream to be a dentist in the USA after that. This was a year back in 2010. I applied to a few schools but didn't hear anything from them for 2011 intakes. So, I decided it was of no use and I didn't even apply to any schools the second time for intakes in 2012 thinking it was a waste of money and time. But my conscience is not letting me give up. Do you think I should take part 2? Is it going to be of any use? Provided I do take it in 2012, I will have 5 chances to retake it right? And also could you guide me as to which books are best for the NBDE 2 prep? Please help me out guys. I feel my life is screwed up. I'm really not sure what to do.

You have 5 chances to pass it, meaning you pass it the first time you can't retake it. Also, you really wouldn't want to since its pass/fail. Material for it is Mosby's, decks, asda papers from my personal experience. From other people they also used the Tufts notes and Kaplan, but I don't know about them since I didn't use them.