NBDE part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys ..
Ive taken NBDE part 2 two times now .. & i failed in both :(
I studied decks & first aid really well but i only got 73 !!
im gonna take it for the third time in august ! any advise or any more books u suggest ?? please any help !!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys ..
Ive taken NBDE part 2 two times now .. & i failed in both :(
I studied decks & first aid really well but i only got 73 !!
im gonna take it for the third time in august ! any advise or any more books u suggest ?? please any help !!

read my posts, they will describe what i used the third time to pass. been there done that, i can understand you. good luck in your third try!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, i'm about to attempt the pt 2 for my first time but i believe we could help each other by exchanging ideas regarding the exam preperation... PM me if interested. I'm currently located in Hagerstown, Maryland and planning on taking the exam in 10 days. :)
Sincerely,
SAJ

I enrolled for part 1 .. it wasnt that helpful
I can say it was more complicated than the exam material !!

Hello friends,
i gave my exam on 23rd and 24th july and have no idea whether i will pass or not but the moment i finished i decided to write about my experience for the exam going members.....plez plez plez
1) don't just rely on decks.....they are not enough

2) be thourough with perio especially implants half of my paper included q's from implants....

3) questions look familiar but the options are hard to distinguish...e.g..a pt with diabetes and hypertention becums unconscious.....wht will be the reason hypertsive crisis or hypoglycemia.we know both but hve to be very careful reading the history.
4)questions about behavioral modifications,theories,conditioning,paraphrasing,desensitization,insurance plans.......tones of q's from these.
5)my exam was a blend of public health and perio,implantology.....not much core dentistry....
6) mosby is a great book...be thorough with it...i hardly read it once...i read kaplan review notes for the last few days.....they were helpful ....antibiotic premedication is nicely written there n had many q's on that including different diseases which may or may not require premedication!

7)papers definitely help to get the feel of exam but i didnt get many repeat q's .
i hope these tips will help you all.good luck !do pray for my success...it would be wonderful to get over this exam....!

great reply galaxy.

He mentioned that he didn't see alot of repeats. and that's true. They seem to have many versions of this exam.

But I still believe going over questions is key to this exam. Don't just go over them to memorize as many answers as possible. You answer them as if you were really taking the exam.

Practice makes perfect

Hello friends,
i gave my exam on 23rd and 24th july and have no idea whether i will pass or not but the moment i finished i decided to write about my experience for the exam going members.....plez plez plez
1) don't just rely on decks.....they are not enough

2) be thourough with perio especially implants half of my paper included q's from implants....

3) questions look familiar but the options are hard to distinguish...e.g..a pt with diabetes and hypertention becums unconscious.....wht will be the reason hypertsive crisis or hypoglycemia.we know both but hve to be very careful reading the history.
4)questions about behavioral modifications,theories,conditioning,paraphrasing,desensitization,insurance plans.......tones of q's from these.
5)my exam was a blend of public health and perio,implantology.....not much core dentistry....
6) mosby is a great book...be thorough with it...i hardly read it once...i read kaplan review notes for the last few days.....they were helpful ....antibiotic premedication is nicely written there n had many q's on that including different diseases which may or may not require premedication!

7)papers definitely help to get the feel of exam but i didnt get many repeat q's .
i hope these tips will help you all.good luck !do pray for my success...it would be wonderful to get over this exam....!

Just wanted to ask about Prosthodontics. Actually i am doing it from decks.I am not in dental school but preparing for part 2.Its been a while i read all this. So please suggest me something on prostho. How are they testing on Prostho????
Appreciate ur reply..

Odontolgia and other sucessful candidates who have passed Part 2,

I have a question for you. I have done decks, mosby, tuft, release paper but not kaplan Q-bank. How helpful it was and also I am 1 week away from exam. Please let me know what I should stress on. Will highly appreciate...

Thanks briansle.Actually we should try to benifit all friends.even if they get 1 question right by any tips...it can make a difference of pass and fail....absolutely doing repeats help to cover most of the basic stuff which we need to know anyhow plus gives an idea abot the look....probably many series are out at the same timme so it depends who will get what!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi jaskiran,
the questions were potrayed in a manner that they covered many subject at a time.....just like implants which can be a part of perio and prostho....i didnt find much on cements although i expected alot 4m them....lots of questions about composites, compomers.....in cases u will usually see a missing tooth/teeth so they will ask about the best option for replacement in that situation.....tables in mosby are helpfl for all subjects coz they highlight the main differences or properties that help alot!

hi jaskiran,
the questions were potrayed in a manner that they covered many subject at a time.....just like implants which can be a part of perio and prostho....i didnt find much on cements although i expected alot 4m them....lots of questions about composites, compomers.....in cases u will usually see a missing tooth/teeth so they will ask about the best option for replacement in that situation.....tables in mosby are helpfl for all subjects coz they highlight the main differences or properties that help alot!
Thanks

Expect a lot of patient management questions and be careful on the second day of exams.
Good luck.

Hi friends,
i am taking my part2 in another one month, if any one has part 2 M paper?
can you forward it to me.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Folks, I'm still studying for pt2 and I'm glad that I delayed my exam because I took some time out to read about implants and behavior management in depth. I feel far more confident in these sections now. Thanks to all of you recent test takers for the heads up!

Hi Folks, I'm still studying for pt2 and I'm glad that I delayed my exam because I took some time out to read about implants and behavior management in depth. I feel far more confident in these sections now. Thanks to all of you recent test takers for the heads up!

Hi! can you please tell me where you read from,for Implants.

Hi! can you please tell me where you read from,for Implants.

I was advised to read from Contemporary Implant Dentistry (Misch) by a friend in U of M because she said it was the standard used in their program. I took her advise and picked up a copy on e-bay. Well worth the money!

hey ocs1986,
Is there a lot to read in this book or only few topics and wat about pt. management, if this book covers that too?

I was advised to read from Contemporary Implant Dentistry (Misch) by a friend in U of M because she said it was the standard used in their program. I took her advise and picked up a copy on e-bay. Well worth the money!

hi guys..i made my sdn account today...i have taken part one scored 89 and have gotten rejected from four schools yet.its my fourth time comin to USA and i m studyin nowadays for part two to perhaps make my application look better.
but i have ABSOLUTELY no idea wat to study from.wat kind of exam is part two.can anyone please help me with that?
so far i just have dental decks to study from which i m
my questions are
1:wat other study material is required for part two apart from dental decks?
2:how much time shud it take roughly to be fully prepared for it
3:i ve started prostho from dental decks and it has all different kind of trade names of materials and stuff do i have to memorize them?
4:hungover:o i have to memorize all the chemical reactions too?
sorry my questions are totally random i know but i m PANICKING!!

categories of elastomeric impression materials: addition silicone:
one tube consist of silicone with terminal silane hydroxyl groups with inert filler the other has vinyl silicone containig vinyl terminals with chloroptinic acid catalyst and inert filler.upon mixing t here is addition of silane H groups across vinyl double bonds.............
and it goes on like this for three paragraphs.
now i dont have a CLUE wat this all means .do we have to memorize all this ?
please i m desperate for guidance.
i await somebodys reply who has been there done that...
thnx

categories of elastomeric impression materials: addition silicone:
one tube consist of silicone with terminal silane hydroxyl groups with inert filler the other has vinyl silicone containig vinyl terminals with chloroptinic acid catalyst and inert filler.upon mixing t here is addition of silane H groups across vinyl double bonds.............
and it goes on like this for three paragraphs.
now i dont have a CLUE wat this all means .do we have to memorize all this ?
please i m desperate for guidance.
i await somebodys reply who has been there done that...
thnx

I read thro' prostho from Mosby and decks.For the most part of it,nothing made any sense to me either.Its too confusing.But i am not gonna worry myself,as i'll try to tackle it when i do the question papers.The papers will tell you what needs to be memorized and what is not important.The first reading nothing will make sense esp. a subject such as Prostho.So dont worry.The second time when you read it,you'll be able to understand more than what you read last time.Since you've just started out your prep...may be a less confusing subject might be the answer to just boost your confidence and you can take it from there.Happy reading!

I read thro' prostho from Mosby and decks.For the most part of it,nothing made any sense to me either.Its too confusing.But i am not gonna worry myself,as i'll try to tackle it when i do the question papers.The papers will tell you what needs to be memorized and what is not important.The first reading nothing will make sense esp. a subject such as Prostho.So dont worry.The second time when you read it,you'll be able to understand more than what you read last time.Since you've just started out your prep...may be a less confusing subject might be the answer to just boost your confidence and you can take it from there.Happy reading!

thnx for responding....can u tell me where can i get all the necessary material? and wat material do i need specifically? i m readin ppl talkin alot abt implants..where do i study tht from? and how long would this whole prep take anyways? roughly?

thnx for responding....can u tell me where can i get all the necessary material? and wat material do i need specifically? i m readin ppl talkin alot abt implants..where do i study tht from? and how long would this whole prep take anyways? roughly?

Just go back on the previous posts and you'll be able to find out the neccesary materials needed for part 2.