NBDE part I after D1! Good or Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootingstar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the students in Colorado take their board exam after D1. Although I don't know Colorado's avg board score, I suspect it is not high. On the other hand, during the next three years, the students will gain a lot of clinical experience.

If I am planning on specializing someday, would Colorado be a approprioate choice? I don't know if I can do well on the board only after the first year. :confused:
Are there any other schools that take their board after D1? How do they usually do?

I also wonder how long is the break between the beginning of the summer break and the board? When do usually student get out of their first year? June July??
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

shootingstar said:
I heard the students in Colorado take their board exam after D1. Although I don't know Colorado's avg board score, I suspect it is not high. On the other hand, during the next three years, the students will gain a lot of clinical experience.

If I am planning on specializing someday, would Colorado be a approprioate choice? I don't know if I can do well on the board only after the first year. :confused:
Are there any other schools that take their board after D1? How do they usually do?

I also wonder how long is the break between the beginning of the summer break and the board? When do usually student get out of their first year? June July??
Thanks.

Down here at Nova we are able to choose if we want to take part I after our first year. Most of my class did and did well. If you can pull the kinds of grades you need to specialize you can do well enough on the part I. The thing I liked best about taking it after first year is that we had more time to study because we don't have a break during our second summer. However, on the flip side we hadn't had pathology yet so we took a one week crash course in path.

I think it's good. Think of it this way. If you've actually had all of the required cousework prior to taking the exam (your dean must sign-off that you HAVE), then there isn't any real reason to postpone it for the extra year.

Reflecting back on my scores, I would have done much better in dental anatomy and perhaps micro, but probably not done any better or even worse in the other subjects had I waited until after my D2 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be tough learning all the basic sciences well in 1 yr. At my school we spend 1 yr on path (I would guess that's common). Squeezing it into 1 semester as CO would have to do would be difficult. On the other hand you won't have as much time to forget gross. As an aside, since you're interested in specializing, remember Colorodo's ortho program is OEC. Not to say you couldn't get accepted elsewhere IF ortho was your goal... just OEC will probably not be your 1st choice.

Napolean Dynamite's lead star, otherwise known as SPBest on SDN, is attending Nova Southeastern's dental school. He really does have nunchucks and the tator-tots in his pocket are beginning to STINK. The picture under his user name is the one taken at new student orientation and is also on his student ID card. He is the man and I would listen to him...and watch his movies. My only problem with SPBest is that he won't let me in on his secret...that is where he get's his sun glasses. Those are SWEEEET!

Just a sneek peek into Napolean Dynamite: The Tot-master's Return...the babe he beat at teatherball at the end of the movie is now...yep, you guessed it...his wife. He married her and I'm happy to tell you that they play teatherball every day now and his manhood is being challenged as she is currently on a 3 game win streak. C'mon man, you can do it!

Won't give away anymore yet, maybe later....

Oh, yes...I think that taking the boards after the first year is a great idea, so long as you are prepared. I, not planning on specializing, spent less than a month (really about 2 1/2 weeks) reviewing material for the boards and passed just fine...not counting the crash course in pathology that Nova put on which, by the way, was VERY good...in fact Pathology ended up being my highest score without having taken the formal courses yet.

brentgoldthorpe said:
Napolean Dynamite's lead star, otherwise known as SPBest on SDN, is attending Nova Southeastern's dental school.

Heh, sorry dude, but John attended undergrad with me and wasn't interested in dental school, that's for sure! :)