NBDE PArt I: Dental Decks vs. Other Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fulcrum_or_FAIL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently studying for the NBDE I and was wondering whether Dental Decks alone were sufficient to achieve a good score (say high 80s)? I'm trying to decide whether to focus the majority of my efforts on the Kaplan book or to spend more time going through the decks?

I had the DAT Kaplan book and that helped me rock the DATs so I know their company knows its stuff. On the other hand, The Dental Decks condense everything and leaves me w/ more time to do old exams.

Any advice on how to do well would be appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is a bit too dense. I'd look into USMLE review books such as First Aid. Make sure you do all the released exams (with maybe the exception to early 80s and earlier.

First aid is really good for Microbio and Pathology. Kaplan has really good dental anatomy, particularly the oral development review. There are some discrepencies with the contacts and the embrasure sizes, etc but it's mostly pretty good, i'd say.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've been told that knowing just the decks very well can score you a 90....take it for whats it worth

DDSSlave said:
Kaplan is a bit too dense. I'd look into USMLE review books such as First Aid. Make sure you do all the released exams (with maybe the exception to early 80s and earlier.
dopa said:
First aid is really good for Microbio and Pathology. Kaplan has really good dental anatomy, particularly the oral development review. There are some discrepencies with the contacts and the embrasure sizes, etc but it's mostly pretty good, i'd say.
What they said.

booshwa said:
i've been told that knowing just the decks very well can score you a 90....take it for whats it worth
without the oldies? I doubt it.

I am also preparing to my Part 1, I have few of my dental deks books missing, i anyone interested to sell me all of their decks. I am ready to buy full set of books.

Also can anyone suggest me any good collages in bay area. two i know of are UCSF and Pacific dental school.