NBDE Part II Now or Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beatles0467

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you are setup to take the Part II, by implication you have taken the Part I, which is all that is meaningful in the eyes of PD's. what score did you get on your Part I?

Part II don't mean s*** as long as you pass it (and for residency application's sake, nailed the Part I).

Members don't see this ad :)
it's just that part I is the true measure that has been used for years (in part because it correlates to Step 1 performance -- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239103001150). i've never heard of PD's caring of part II scores as long as an applicant passes it.

85 is a little "meh" but what does the rest of your application look like? applying to 4- or 6-year programs? exterships?

I think the rest of my application is pretty solid so that's why I am still hopeful - applied to a ton of 4-year only programs. 3 externships (1 at my program), research (1 minor publication) including AADR and IADR posters, oral Surgery club, oral path club, etc.

I know Part I is what PD's actually care about, I just didn't know if they even let the Part II score enter into their thoughts. Based on your replies, I'm leaning towards just taking it late winter/early spring and not worrying much about it and getting a pass. I know having a Pass won't hurt me, the only reason I'd take Part II is if it would actually help me at all...