1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

NBDE score sufficient for OMFS

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by jeffersonD, Dec 9, 2005.

1. jeffersonD

jeffersonD New Member

Dental Student
    I got a 90.
    I know its not a lot but I'm willing to work hard
    do some more research
    and go to a few externships at different schools.
    Do you think I have a chance of getting interviews?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    90 is the "magic number" for many 6-year program's cutoff. The key now is what are you going to have to supplement that 90 on your CV.

Leadership
    Externship
    Research

I have a 90 and I have received my share of interviews. During all my interviews, I've been asked about my externships. So if anything, I would concentrate on externships participation if you can only do one thing listed above out of three.

Also, I believe I lost some interview invitations (6-year programs) due to my undergraduate grades, if your undergrad grades are above a 3.0, then you may receive even more interviews.

4. GatorDMD

GatorDMD Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hate to rain on the parade but I was told that 92-93 is the new 90 so the "magic number" is on the rise. If you want to bust your butt and get top ranked in D school I dont think it will matter... but if you are so so ranked with a 90 i think you should retake it. Everyone i have come across has done externships... it is more mandatory than icing. True I have met those without externships but they were like #1 with a 97-98. If I were you I would go for it and try to apply with what you have(try to make your rank and gpa solid)... if unsuccessful retake the test. If you read some of these posts on this forum you will see what I am talking about... some schools only invited 95 and up, 94 and up, 92 and up.... see what I am saying? I cant really offer valid info since I have not even matched but this is my 2 cents. maybe the residents can offer more info?

Remember I am still just a wannabe and my advice is worth less than whats in your toilet.

5. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    C'mon W, 92-93 is not the new magic number! Obviously the higher the better. Yes, they all site that JOMS article about how 92-93 pass the USMLE Step I the first try and 90 only 75% pass on the first try....but I still believe if you have a 90, the programs will look at you!

Since, the kid already has a 90, I wouldn't waste my time to retake that damn exam. I would just concentrate on other things that you can still change like ranks and externships.

6. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A Baby Ruth?

7. jg68

jg68 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Are the four or six year programs more difficult to get into?

8. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

I have heard that 90 is an arbitrary number that the medical school wanted the 6 year programs to have. A lot of the 4 year programs are fine taking people in the 80's.

Getting interviews is a matter of numbers game; the higher your stats, the better.

9. TiggerJSA

TiggerJSA Examing the colon stinks
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Generally, 6 years are harder, but there are plenty 6 year programs not as competitive and plenty of super-competitive 4 years out there :scared: :scared:

10. Maxillicious

Maxillicious The Apprentice
    5+ Year Member

Any idea which are the supercompetitive 4 year programs? and why? I mean with respect to training.

11. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    What would you say is so-so ranked?

12. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just guessing....Virginia, Iowa.

13. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    How about:

Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC
    Montefiore, Bronx, NY
    Univ. of Iowa
    Univ. of Minnesota

14. TiggerJSA

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think I've also heard Seattle and Carle Clinic are pretty popular...

15. GatorDMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

I think MCV, Vanderbilt, Miami could be added to the competitive 4 year list.

16. OMFSdoc

OMFSdoc Member
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed at mostly 6 year programs a few years back, but also went to a couple of 4 year interviews. I was VERY impressed with Washington Hospital Center if that helps.

17. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Quick offtopic question: Do 4 year programs require you to take the USMLE also?

18. Maxillicious

5+ Year Member

Those names are most of the ones atop my 4 year list as well.

OMFSDoc, would you care to elaborate on DC??
    as well as everyone else as to why they said the names they did, especially with regards to scope and focus of programs. A few Im particularly intersted in are:

Seattle, Miami, DC, Minnie, Carle, UMDNJ...and any others you have anything to say about.
    A few I didnt really know about but will definately look into now are Iowa, VA, Vandy.
    Although I know its still pretty early for me to be looking into these kinds of things its always good stay abreast of things.

19. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope. Why would you?

I thought Vandy was a 6-year.

20. Maxillicious

5+ Year Member

Vandy is 4 or 6 as per the ADEA PASS site. But still gotta scratch it off the list because they dont want any Maple Leafs

21. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why not, eh?

22. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for your response. Didn't really think about what USMLE stood for...just heard it being thrown around these forums a few times (read NOOB). Now that I know what the acronym stands for, I guess that was kind of a dumb question. But, it's good to hear that the four years don't have to take this "beast" of a test you guys keep talking about :D

23. OMFSDR

OMFSDR Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This may be the case today but several years ago I applied to 21 programs and received 20 interviews including MGH, UCSF, PARKLAND, UCLA, PEN and many others. I ended up matching in to one of my top choices. I had a 93 with 3 externships and no research. I don’t think there is a magic formula but a 90 should get you in the door the rest is up to you. Also what many people don’t realize is that your undergrad GPA may keep you out of some of the 6 year programs. In many of the 6 year programs the medical school can refuse to admit any OMFS applicant with a low undergrad GPA.

24. OMFSdoc

OMFSdoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Washington Hospital Center was a solid program when I was interviewing. Here's what I remember, but then again, it was a couple of years ago.
    Pros: Trauma, implants, dentoalveolar, pathology, DC is an amazing city, residents were happy.
    Cons: Lacking academic OMFS focus (Journal clubs etc...), don't know their orthognathic numbers, cosmetics or TMJ.

25. shabu2

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  26. Demeter

Demeter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

90 is a solid score. I would not waste my time trying to improve that number. if you don't get interviews you must be weak in other areas. I have applied to Pedo, which is starting to get very competetive. maybe not as much as OMS but applications are through the roof this year. I had a 85 part1 and 80 part 2. And i still got 6 interviews. perhaps board scores are more important in OMS compared to Pedo, but my friend got in and his scores and GPA were low. He spent most of his summer between 3rd and 4th year doing externships.

My advice: you need strong letters of recommendation. Find out who is well known, who does research and work with that person. A letter is only worth as much as the signature attached to it.
    Do externships. volunteer. participate in outreach programs.
    do some research on the programs that grant you interviews. many applicants don't.

27. GatorDMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  28. LSU-Cowboy

LSU-Cowboy Resident
    5+ Year Member

I was also very impressed with Washington Hospital Center. Plenty of trauma...lots of dentoalveolar and lots of implants

29. esclavo

esclavo from frying pan into fire
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    4 year Programs besides my own which I have heard excellent things about, some I know personally: Minnesota, Iowa, Fresno, UTenn at Knoxville, Oklahoma, UNC

30. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I haven't seen a 4 year program go unmatched in 7 years. In that same 7 years there have been an average of 2- 6 year programs and 5 positions that go unmatched. It is cyclical. I would say that 6 year programs were definitely tougher in the late 80's early 90's and then the four years got tougher on average from 95 through now. It appears that the six year programs are becoming more challenging. It is a cycle that will change every 5-10 years. This is kind of an assessment according to some program directors I've heard talk. I think it varies from year to year. This year is the most competitive year I've seen in 3 years of reviewing applicants. I think we interviewed 6-8 people with 95's and 2 with 97 or 98 (NBPI). Then you take the dozen with a 91-93... Wow. For one spot. I would have been up a creek with a paddle if I'd applied this year. Dog Fight City....

31. OMFSCardsFan

OMFSCardsFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Me too. My first thought when I was reviewing applications was one of awe. Every single application and CV blew mine out of the water. I would have been a lot more concerned during interviews and Match last year had I known what I know now. Yikes...

32. Ankylosed

Ankylosed Member
    5+ Year Member

What is so special about these applicant's CVs that they blow yours out of the water? Can you name a couple of accomplishments that would really set you apart like this? I am a little set back because your stats are so fresh and so clean. Thanks

33. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Board scores 92-98, top 10% class ranking, Letters of recommendation from note worthy OMFS (people in academia not a private practice guy or a periodontist). Multiple externships, research....saving small children from burning buildings....middle east peace initiatives.... curing AIDS in Africa.... feeding the world's hungry.... I mean, we don't ask for much. It is isn't quite as competitive as ortho or endo. The difference is getting in is the tough part in endo or ortho. Getting in is just the tip of the difficulty in OMFS cause after you get in you have to survive the work load that I potentially will place on those shoulders. :)

34. GatorDMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

In my former lives I was Joan of Arc, Jesus, and Dolomite! :D

But that still didnt help me much... :(

35. Ankylosed

Ankylosed Member
    5+ Year Member

36. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that the directors of different programs tend to know each other quite well. Therefore, a letter from someone in academic OMFS may carry more weight because those reviewing your file know who he/she is.

37. Ankylosed

Ankylosed Member
    5+ Year Member

38. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:eek: "both" in your comment refers to 1. LSU and 2. your boudin link?

39. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What the hell is a boudin link?

40. GatorDMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

i think it is a lousiana sausage... like Jimmy Dean :D sounds pretty small though.

41. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student

42. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

43. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Wow, Toof, that's a bold statement! You do know that over 80% of OMFSs out there are private practice people, right? Heck, I would even venture out and say over 90% are private practice OMFSs. You just called all your colleagues pu$$ies! I know you want to teach, but I am very surprised to see you type that.

Maybe this is another one of your jokes, but I find it very interesting!

Funny enough, at all my interviews, they all have asked what my plans are after residency? They always ask, "private practice are you?"

44. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm serious, but like I said, I'm biased because of my own goals. It's not that big of a deal because all specialties suffer from this. Lifestyle is important to most people....why do you think orthodontics and dermatology are so competitive?

45. OMFSCardsFan

OMFSCardsFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Some of these guys, and girls, that we interviewed this year put up NDB scores in the 97-98 range, did 4-6 externships, and were published on multiple occasions. I have no idea how these guys managed to get out of dental school to do all these externships. I had to fight to get out for two weeks. In addition, they had solid letters of rec from big names in the field. I started to wonder if they were interviewing for my position again this year, as well as the standard two intern spots.

46. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student

47. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist

48. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

49. DentistBunaHay

5+ Year Member

I haven't even started dental school yet, so I'm still lacking in knowledge quite a bit about this issue. But I was wondering that if most OMFS graduates go into private office because there are such limited jobs available in academia. Do you think that every OMFS has a choice between private practice and academia?
    I'm not trying to support the "pu$$ies", i'm just trying to make sense out of why anyone would want to become a surgeon and then not do surgery (proper surgery, not 3rds)? All the procedures that OMFS do are just so freaking cool that you would want to get into this program, only if you have a real love for those but if you choose to abandon 90% of the type of procedures that OMFS are capable of, then why the hell would you want to become one in the first place? Why not just do General dentistry? I'm pretty sure that those applicants said completely different things during their interviews (bullsh**ers) regarding the procedures that take longer and trauma and now they're in private practice doing 10 minute procedures.
    I'm probably missing quite a bit of information to make a judgement but it doesn't make sense to me right now. :confused:

50. TiggerJSA

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

51. Ankylosed

Ankylosed Member
    5+ Year Member