nbde wth tourist visa or student visa????which is the btr option!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goyalD141284

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)hello frnds

im in a grt confusion,pls tell me out of mph n oral biology which course is bttr to do as i want a student visa to go to us to gve NBD,or shud gve nbd via tourist visa???????????????

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone... please share your experiences or knowledge so that it may help othrs in their quest...

:)hello frnds

im in a grt confusion,pls tell me out of mph n oral biology which course is bttr to do as i want a student visa to go to us to gve NBD,or shud gve nbd via tourist visa???????????????

You can only get a student visa if you enroll in a US school, if all what you are doing is the NBDE then you need a visitor visa B1/B2 or something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
yupp i agree!!
1.why to get enrolled in some studies if u can get visitor visa?
2.moreover its gonna be comfortable if u have someone in u.s
3.if u come as student visa , u cant concentrate on boards coz studies are gonna be hard in any stream.
4. after clearing boards u will leave the previous enrollment , its gonna waste the money u already put in and efforts too.
5.and trust me its not easy to prepare here... u have to do every stuff urself.. i mean washing cooking study..so lot of pressure. in ur country u r at home and all the stuff is done by mom!!! as in india!!!
6. i think if u really tell the visa consulate tht ur sole purpose is to give test and u want dds for better prospects, u r going to get the tourist visa and tht can be of 10 yrs..
i am saying this coz i have been through this process and saying it with wat i experienced..

rest if u come on study visa the chose such a stream which can be helpful to u in the long run!!!
i hope it helps!!!!:)

mph will not be useful these days so oral biology is a better option which i have heard!!! correct me if wrong!!!

yupp i agree!!
1.why to get enrolled in some studies if u can get visitor visa?
2.moreover its gonna be comfortable if u have someone in u.s
3.if u come as student visa , u cant concentrate on boards coz studies are gonna be hard in any stream.
4. after clearing boards u will leave the previous enrollment , its gonna waste the money u already put in and efforts too.
5.and trust me its not easy to prepare here... u have to do every stuff urself.. i mean washing cooking study..so lot of pressure. in ur country u r at home and all the stuff is done by mom!!! as in india!!!
6. i think if u really tell the visa consulate tht ur sole purpose is to give test and u want dds for better prospects, u r going to get the tourist visa and tht can be of 10 yrs..
i am saying this coz i have been through this process and saying it with wat i experienced..

rest if u come on study visa the chose such a stream which can be helpful to u in the long run!!!
i hope it helps!!!!:)

about the statement marked in red - u better show irrefutable cause to come back to your home country like substantial bank balance, immovable property, family life etc...I have heard of atleast one person not getting a tourist Visa for NBDE exam.

I feel it's better to enter through student visa ... it would be helpful in long run..
After getting accepted into dental school you've to show huge amount of funds and property.. it's easy to show funds for programs other than DDS.. I know some of my frnds came for some other course ,get accepted and doing their DDS now... no funds or visa probs.. but you've to work hard in either way...

The fundamental question here is time: If you come to the United States on a student visa, then you are bound to start an educational curriculum here for 2 (give or take) years. I'm assuming that you just don't want to enter on a student visa, give the exam, and get back to your country.

You are then obligated to start and hopefully finish your degree. Leaving your degree halfway for a non-emergency reason is also not a good thing. It will set a precedence that you don't want.

To summarize:
Is you goal to just give the exam? - Come on a tourist visa and get it done.
Is you goal to give the exam, study for a related degree, and spend time in the United States (and ethcially, finish your degreee)? - Apply to a university and come on a F1 visa.

The point of showing money during the visa interview, according to me, is a secondary question based on the answer you choose above.

Hi.. The Discussions in this post seem to be very useful for aspiring students to enter into USA. What are the probable reasons (and their pros and cons/ success rates); which can be documented as the PURPOSE for procuring a visitors visa to the US consulate in INDIA.
I am planning to give my part 1 NBDE exam in May 2010. I am currently doing my internship which gets over in August end 2010. Also I have heard that being a student who has not yet completed the course/ recieved the degree-- the chances of getting visitors visa are greater than that after completion of study.

Please help and share your experiences/knowledge.

Better option is definitely Visitor visa, why would you want to spend $ 30,000 and two years of your time, if your goal is DDS.

Better option is definitely Visitor visa, why would you want to spend $ 30,000 and two years of your time, if your goal is DDS.

Thank you.
Any idea about the purpose of visit to US embassy for which there r less chances of rejection for dental students...????

Thank you.
Any idea about the purpose of visit to US embassy for which there r less chances of rejection for dental students...????

Go for Visa appointment before you graduate, if you have relatives in the US the most important reason could be family function- eg: cousin's graduation, wedding, etc. If not, you could try for tourism- try getting an invitation letter from the people in US.
If you are doing internship, having a job offer/letter from college also helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@riseup
the purpose of visit could be to appear for the exams. get the registration letter by the prometric as the proof.
and u need to tell them where or with whom u r gonna stay if they ask. try to get the sponsorship from the relative if u have any in the u.s..or any family friend.
and u need to show them u have ties to ur home country;like ur family ,ur job and ur home etc...in ur case internship is the one of the strongest ties . u can get the letter from the principal tht currently doing internship and is granted leave from so and so period... and u can tell them if they ask u tht without intership ur degree is incomplete.....

one more question they ask is why u wanna do dds, when u already a dentist. tell them for better propects coz dds means something....and for newer technology and stuff...
in my case he asked which univ will u prefer if u clear the exam. i told a few.
he asked hw wud u do maxillary disimapaction? i told them
asked about my family and any relatives in u.s? i told tht i am gonna stay with ma sis..
\
and yes i got 10 yrs multiple entry..
just be true and do reply wat they ask without complicating,..even my friend got after a week.. she was asked same things.!!
i hope it helps.

i know chances of getting visa are slim if they ask u tht u r a graduate and why u wanna be graduate there?but i say its not impossible!!! so tackle this ques with wat u think is right!!
i hope it helps.:)

what if we are working as a dental surgeon??? is it easy for a tourist visa??