Nbde1 Experience From 3/26/07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i am really glad to finally say its over. its amazing how you feel once that thing is over. now i know that everyone knows what i can and what i cant tell you guys so i would do the best i can to help you guys be ready. i appologize ahead of time for not being able to tell you the spicifics but i am sure you all understand.

so here we go......
i thought the exam was really what i expected it to be. yes the new format was good and bad. there were lots of thing i liked about it and lots that i didnt. i was stuck on some questions that made me really frustrated but that could have happened even if the exam was the old format. there is no way you can know everything but know what you know well. it was really nothing new or totally unexpected. meaning there were questions that i spent 5 secs on and there were question i spend mins on and then had to go over them later and i still got them wrong. basically, if i were to advise you on how to well prepare for it, i'd say know the concepts. dont memorize the decks and think that you will be ready just by knowing the decks cold. take as many old exams as you can. i think that going over the old exams helped me as much as the decks did. i had about 5 pages of notes i that wrote down as soon as i got there to make sure i dont forget them or things that you have to have written down so you can access it quickly( occlusion patterns, eruption patterns and what age) and of the 5 pages only one page was really rewarding. but you are gonna say why did i think i needed to had all those 5 pages then? well, because when i went over the old exams, i thought thats what i needed. when i took the real thing, none of that showed up. bottom line, you may end up having a bunch of things show up that you are good at or may end up with bunch of things that you didnt spend time on. honestly your luck plays a major role in it as well.

i am being very careful and making sure o dont violate any ADA regulations so if you get anything out of this post is make sure you go over all of the old exams that you can get your hands on. questions may be different but the concepts are still the same. dental anatomy does not change over the years so do as many of old exams as you can. same goes for all of the other sections. old concepts and same things just written differently to test you if you know the concept. know the exceptions of the rules. if you look at the old exams, they love those "exception" type questions. ie transcription of all DNA viruses occur in the nuc except for XXXXX. this was not on my exam but i am just making a point. know that DNA viruses do thier thing in the nuc but theres always exception. bottom line, do the decks and do it 3 times. dont just memorize the answers. know why the answer you picked is right and why the rest are false.

i hope this help. last thing i wanna say is about the new format. i was scared at first but i didnt think that the cases were that bad. some were flat out stupid easy and some were just very confusing. again, you cant get everything right. if you are me, you just wanna get half right and i hope thats what i didn.

anyways, good luck with all your studies and please do not ask me specifics of the exam as i cannot do that. good luck and best wishes.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you all the best on your exam. I have question, you had 5 pages of notes with you at the testing center? I thought that's prohibited. Having notes while taking the exams is ok?

Hoping for your prompt resposne, I thank you in advance.

I wish you all the best on your exam. I have question, you had 5 pages of notes with you at the testing center? I thought that's prohibited. Having notes while taking the exams is ok?

Hoping for your prompt resposne, I thank you in advance.

no i wrote out about 5 pages of notes as soon as i started the exam.
its was the stuff that i had memorized before and thought it would be smart to have them in front of me the whole time during the exam. they were mainly the occlusion chart (what cusp occldes where etc), the eruption dates, the calcification dates, the classes of viruses (whats RNA whats DNA, whats enveloved what non env etc) and other things like the TCA cycle etc etc.

i think that its smart to have those written out as soon as you start so that when you come across a question about those, it will take you 5 secs to answer.

good luck

thanks for posting ur experience......and for that tip too...its actually a good idea to make notes......am sure that would be helpful to most of us....
i wish u all the best for ur results.....:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
well i am really glad to finally say its over. its amazing how you feel once that thing is over. now i know that everyone knows what i can and what i cant tell you guys so i would do the best i can to help you guys be ready. i appologize ahead of time for not being able to tell you the spicifics but i am sure you all understand.

so here we go......
i thought the exam was really what i expected it to be. yes the new format was good and bad. there were lots of thing i liked about it and lots that i didnt. i was stuck on some questions that made me really frustrated but that could have happened even if the exam was the old format. there is no way you can know everything but know what you know well. it was really nothing new or totally unexpected. meaning there were questions that i spent 5 secs on and there were question i spend mins on and then had to go over them later and i still got them wrong. basically, if i were to advise you on how to well prepare for it, i'd say know the concepts. dont memorize the decks and think that you will be ready just by knowing the decks cold. take as many old exams as you can. i think that going over the old exams helped me as much as the decks did. i had about 5 pages of notes i that wrote down as soon as i got there to make sure i dont forget them or things that you have to have written down so you can access it quickly( occlusion patterns, eruption patterns and what age) and of the 5 pages only one page was really rewarding. but you are gonna say why did i think i needed to had all those 5 pages then? well, because when i went over the old exams, i thought thats what i needed. when i took the real thing, none of that showed up. bottom line, you may end up having a bunch of things show up that you are good at or may end up with bunch of things that you didnt spend time on. honestly your luck plays a major role in it as well.

i am being very careful and making sure o dont violate any ADA regulations so if you get anything out of this post is make sure you go over all of the old exams that you can get your hands on. questions may be different but the concepts are still the same. dental anatomy does not change over the years so do as many of old exams as you can. same goes for all of the other sections. old concepts and same things just written differently to test you if you know the concept. know the exceptions of the rules. if you look at the old exams, they love those "exception" type questions. ie transcription of all DNA viruses occur in the nuc except for XXXXX. this was not on my exam but i am just making a point. know that DNA viruses do thier thing in the nuc but theres always exception. bottom line, do the decks and do it 3 times. dont just memorize the answers. know why the answer you picked is right and why the rest are false.

i hope this help. last thing i wanna say is about the new format. i was scared at first but i didnt think that the cases were that bad. some were flat out stupid easy and some were just very confusing. again, you cant get everything right. if you are me, you just wanna get half right and i hope thats what i didn.

anyways, good luck with all your studies and please do not ask me specifics of the exam as i cannot do that. good luck and best wishes.

thank you for sharing the experience but do you think decks and old exams are good enough for getting 90+ and how long studing is good for that grade ?

Last edited:
Thank u perfect 3435. That was very helpful. Which material did u actually prepare?

no i wrote out about 5 pages of notes as soon as i started the exam.
its was the stuff that i had memorized before and thought it would be smart to have them in front of me the whole time during the exam. they were mainly the occlusion chart (what cusp occldes where etc), the eruption dates, the calcification dates, the classes of viruses (whats RNA whats DNA, whats enveloved what non env etc) and other things like the TCA cycle etc etc.

i think that its smart to have those written out as soon as you start so that when you come across a question about those, it will take you 5 secs to answer.

good luck
thanks alot 4 sharin vth us....dats very smart of u 2 write down things.....i wud defntly keep dat in mind...
hey n 1 more thing... hav u heard of da kaplan online test??? hav u tried solvin it??? is it worth..
i hav bought it n m tryin 2 solve it.
its gud but a hard.......2 much in detail...
givn my xm on 23april... n still got lots 2 do...
just hopin dat m not wastin time..... can u advice???
thanks in advance...
all da very best 4 ur result.....

so here we go......

hi perfect 3435,thanx for sharing this information..if i'm not wrong i think u have taken crack the nbde course ? plz can u tell me if its really worth buying it as now u r done with ur exam and i think u might better guide me tat its really worth buying it and does it really helped u in ur exam??i'll be thankful to u if u can guide me.. and also all the best for the result :thumbup:

i bought the crack the nbde but i honestly did not think that it helped me much. i only got 2 or 3 questions that were similar to what that software had in it. so was it worth my 75 dollars? i'd say no. with that said, you never know what quesions you will see on your exam so it ma be worth it for you. thats really hard to say.
as for the kaplan course, i didnt take the kaplan course. i had the book but it was waaaay too detailed and so i only read sections that i was having problems with.
i really dont think you need the kaplan course to just pass the exam. however, if you want to do really well i assume it would help since every section and eerything is explained in much detail.

as for the material that i have (old exams etc) i wont be selling it at least till i know i passed the exam first.

good luck

Manjali- Can u help me man, i need help too plz.... no seriously, what the he11 are u talking about? If you want to contribute to the thread or forum thats fine but jus blankly stating you new and need help just junks this site up. Try contributing something or being specific about what your problem is. Do you need help with life in general? Here's some help, work hard and study hard for the nbde and don't waste time coming on here mooching off people for unreleased exams.

:mad: u dn be rude to people here..
be courteous!!!!!!!!
help others and dnt underestimate any1.

KEEP QUIET IF U CNT EXTEND UR HELp

so here we go......

hey perfect 3435!
all d very best 4 ur results....n dat was really smart of u to have notes b4hand:)
i just want to know have u referred any text book or just kaplan notes...sample papers.decks n all dat stuff??
is lipincott for preparing biochemistry is d rite choice...plzz do reply
thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
i just wanted to pass the exam and so just to do that i felt it was enough for me to just do the decks 2-3 times and then review kaplan book for the stuff i was confused about. after that, i just went over all of the old exams that i could get my hands on.

i just wanted to pass the exam and so just to do that i felt it was enough for me to just do the decks 2-3 times and then review kaplan book for the stuff i was confused about. after that, i just went over all of the old exams that i could get my hands on.

for how long time you were studing:confused:

i'm going to be giving the part 1 in a about 2 months time probably..
cud u tell me along with the decks and the old exam papers.. did u study any theory like from textbooks or kaplan books...
how did u go about it..
it would be great help, coz i really am confused as how to go about the studying...
btw.. its very nice of u to share ur experience..
gives me a little more hope :)

Hi there !
What books do u suggest for dental anatomy ?
And what about testlets? Did u have any books for the testlets?
Thanks

Hey Perfect, You said that you wrote 5 pages of notes. Was there a 30 minute tutorial at the start which gave you the time to do this (like there was for the DAT?)

yes there was a tutorial which i didnt read and just went through. as for writing the notes, i didnt start doing it until i actually started the exam itself. i am not sure if you can/cant write anything during the tutorial. it only took me about 5 mins to write it out anyways so nothing to worry about. here is what really sucks when you you have to write notes. they give you 3 pages of (plastic) with markers so you can erase it later. what had me totally frustrated was the my 5 pages of notes would have only been about 2 if i had just regular paper. writting with the marker sucked because you have to write big or you couldnt read it. plus it kept getting smeared everytime i move the papers around. i did complain about that and they just told me that thats the way thet do it now and that you cannot have regular paper and that they just dont trust dental/med students. yep they dont trust us.

hello perfect 3435 did u got ur results???

well after a long 5 weeks waiting game it finally arrived yesterday. it took a lot of guts to open it (i have a huge pharm exam today) but i couldnt help it and so i opened it. as in the past, i honestly was just hoping i passed and passed it i did.

as for the scores, i did a lot better than i thought i had done in path/micro and A sci. the score that was a total surprise to me was DA. i was constantly scoring 90/100 85/100 on all of those old exams (1976-2004) but i only answered 70/100 on the real thing. last thing i can tell you is that the 2004 conversion chart was very very close to being right.

well, i wish everyone else luck. it is really a big relief knowing its done with.

hi perfect
d more m studying more m getting confused nd feeling m forgetting
please tell me wat to do ......

Yo Perfect,

Congratz man!

On the 5 pages that you memorized, which chart or diagram was helpful for you?

well after a long 5 weeks waiting game it finally arrived yesterday. it took a lot of guts to open it (i have a huge pharm exam today) but i couldnt help it and so i opened it. as in the past, i honestly was just hoping i passed and passed it i did.

as for the scores, i did a lot better than i thought i had done in path/micro and A sci. the score that was a total surprise to me was DA. i was constantly scoring 90/100 85/100 on all of those old exams (1976-2004) but i only answered 70/100 on the real thing. last thing i can tell you is that the 2004 conversion chart was very very close to being right.

well, i wish everyone else luck. it is really a big relief knowing its done with.
hey so finally got ur result...but u didn't tell wat is ur percentile score ..can u plz post ur final percentile score and individual scores... i'll really appreciate tat if u do tat......thanx

hey so finally got ur result...but u didn't tell wat is ur percentile score ..can u plz post ur final percentile score and individual scores... i'll really appreciate tat if u do tat......thanx
He doesn't have to post them if he doesn't want to. Some people prefer to keep their scores private, y'know? There's no public entitlement to know what every SDN member gets on their board exams.

Congratulation man! Part 2 is just few months away. Enjoy for few weeks. :D :D :D

Hai perfect 3435! you given good advice that we need to study the basics and all that is the best way of preparation than just doing the decks but We really need to do decks after we finish readin basics thoroughly..
I am doing the same ...!