nbme 13 calcium/sarc reticulum question

Discussion in 'Step I' started by abelabbot, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. abelabbot

abelabbot Banned Banned Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

I get the physiology behind this…But I see two different interpretations for this based on discussions posted online…..i think the answer is A, the one with 1 hz, altho its a low frequency, the fact there is contrations + has spaces (meaning calcium gets sequestered back into the sarc reticulum) its therefore the answer….

The last choice with 12 hz and one major contraction looks like tetanus…Am I correct?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apoplexy__

Apoplexy__ Blood-and-thunder appearance Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah the answer was 1 Hz. I'm not sure if this was all there was to it, but this was my logic:
    Lower frequency --> Fewer voltage-gated Ca2+ opening events --> Less Ca2+ released from sarcoplasmic reticulum --> More Ca2+ left in sarcoplasmic reticulum (more sequestered)

Not sure if 12 Hz was any particular pathology, but calling it tetanus seems feasible. Anything that increases ACh at the Nm receptor too, I would imagine.

abelabbot likes this.
  4. abelabbot

Awesome thank you! Yes I didn't even think of that point…the fact that lower frequency would mean fewer voltage gated ca channels will open up.

5. abelabbot

lol @ your "location"

About the ads