BOTH NBME 21: 170, NBME 16: 182, UWSA: 183, three weeks left until USMLE, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joujou116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - I'm currently half way through UWorld, have been working on my content gaps, but even so, Immunology/Genetics/Biochemistry are still some of my weakest areas. I'm a DO student and at this point, I don't know if it's worth taking USMLE and if I should just focus on COMLEX. Other than getting through all of UWorld before my test date, any other tips, pointers, words of inspiration, prayers? I'm at a hump and I need to figure out what to do to get over it. Background - average medical student with all A's and B's in school, but standardized tests always get the best of me. I'm desperate at this point :|

5/16: NBME 21 - 170
5/29: NBME 16: - 182
6/10: UWSA1 - 183

Members don't see this ad.

You can get to passing level by the time you take the test but what is your goal?

Thank you for responding, I literally feel so stuck right now. My goal is a 230-240. I just don't see how I can jump from a 183 to 230 in three weeks, but I'm also holding out hope that one day that leap happens and I just don't know what to do.

Thank you for responding, I literally feel so stuck right now. My goal is a 230-240. I just don't see how I can jump from a 183 to 230 in three weeks, but I'm also holding out hope that one day that leap happens and I just don't know what to do.

UWSA1 notoriously overpredicts by 10-15, so you'd have to consider yourself in the 170's currently. Unless you're pretty sure you can bump 10 points per week you may be at risk for not passing Step.

Members don't see this ad :)
If that’s your goal you need to delay. A 230-240 requires solid knowledge of all content and adequate question answering strategies

Reactions: 1 user
If that’s your goal you need to delay. A 230-240 requires solid knowledge of all content and adequate question answering strategies

How far out would you delay? Would you recommend trying to study for Step 1 while doing rotations? And any tips/resources on these question answering strategies?

Can you delay until after year 3? Some would consider that a blessing

I can take Step 1 whenever I want - but if I wait until after year 3, I'll be studying for that alongside COMLEX Level 2. And I don't even know when I'd take Step 2 (if I need to take Step 2)

Reactions: 1 user
I’m going to be brutally honest, you are no where near a 230-240 and will not be in 3 weeks. You have major knowledge gaps. Unless you can delay it by significant margin and actually thing you’ll improve, I wouldn’t bother with step 1..

Maybe study hard the next two weeks and take uwsa2. If you don’t get at least a 220 then cancel

Reactions: 1 users
Call it quits on Step 1 and focus on getting a 500+ on Level 1 - even that will be a stretch by the looks of it.

You have clear knowledge gaps.
Did you run thru BnB vids along with FA? Anki for micro and pharm?

I’m going to be real with you:
I do not see any possible way - even with 16-hour study days - that you can pull yourself up from a 180 to a 240 in under three weeks. We’re talking a 3+ standard deviation jump in three weeks after you’ve claimed to already be halfway through Uworld. I just don’t see it happening. I can realistically see you bumping to a 220 if you bust your ass, maybe a 225. There have been bigger miracles before, but it’s obvious that you have consistent and gaping knowledge gaps and I most absolutely wouldn’t count on it.

I’m with @hungrydoc710 on this one. I think you should can the USMLE and focus on COMLEX. Burn through TrueLearn and COMBank. Get that 550. Get that 575.

Reactions: 1 users