NBME 3 Discouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Houseness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like total crap. I know that many people must have posted these things so I don't know, but I studied for six weeks straight and took NBME1 and got a 234 (570). I got so excited cause I still had 2 weeks to prepare for the test and I thought I could pull it up to around a 240 or above!!

I studied for the past two weeks and took NBME 3 and got a 228 (540). Man I feel so discouraged. My test is on Friday and I don't even want to study anymore. It just feels like such a crock. Does anyone have any advice on getting through the next few days? I hate to have a freakin' 220 as a score when I was thinking 240 was a achievable...

-House

Members don't see this ad.

sex and alcohol for the next few days and the day before the test, just drink alot of alcohol and the day of the test before you go there drink more alcohol.

If you dont get the 240 it means you need to reconsider medicine and start thinking for Veteranarian, dentestry or to go out of the US to a 3 world country to study medicine.

sex and alcohol for the next few days and the day before the test, just drink alot of alcohol and the day of the test before you go there drink more alcohol.

If you dont get the 240 it means you need to reconsider medicine and start thinking for Veteranarian, dentestry or to go out of the US to a 3 world country to study medicine.

:rolleyes:

I feel like total crap. I know that many people must have posted these things so I don't know, but I studied for six weeks straight and took NBME1 and got a 234 (570). I got so excited cause I still had 2 weeks to prepare for the test and I thought I could pull it up to around a 240 or above!!

I studied for the past two weeks and took NBME 3 and got a 228 (540). Man I feel so discouraged. My test is on Friday and I don't even want to study anymore. It just feels like such a crock. Does anyone have any advice on getting through the next few days? I hate to have a freakin' 220 as a score when I was thinking 240 was a achievable...

-House

The NBMEs really aren't useful as score predictors. Their utility lies more in revealing strengths and weaknesses. Remember that the standard deviation of each NBME is +/-13, so you are well within the SD of the first NBME you took.

Target your studying over the next few days to the weaknesses noted by your NBME. Don't worry about your score, just about learning and putting as much knowledge into the "big picture" as you can.

:luck:

I'm going to assume you are kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NBMEs really aren't useful as score predictors. Their utility lies more in revealing strengths and weaknesses. Remember that the standard deviation of each NBME is +/-13, so you are well within the SD of the first NBME you took.
They are the best score predictors out there, and we don't know the sd of each. I assume you're using the medfriengs.org number there, which tries to predict your score on the real thing, not your score relative to other NBME testers.

To the OP, I think the best thing to do is take another one, like form 4. Chances are you'll score higher and get some confidence back. Or take the free 150 and see how that score compares on medfriends.org.

yes, if you want to regain your confidence- take the practice 150 questions. After those questions I am willing to bet you will be back up again.

I know you are only trying to be funny, but when someone says they feel like crap, this kind of response can be hurtful and rude.

To the OP: hang in there. Look at the bright side--the scores you HAVE gotten are quite respectable and lots of people do even better on the real deal. Take advantage of the fact that the NBME has highlighted your areas of weakness. Concentrate on those, and, if you can afford to, take NBME4 for a final boost of confidence (hopefully)! Good luck!

Isn't NBME 3 supposed to be the most difficult one? Please advice.
(I haven't done these yet).

Don't feel bad. I'm sure you will do just fine. You know these exams don't cover all topics, and its only those questions(those topics) that were scored......your exam WILL have different ones.....so like someone said already........don't think of this as your score predictor, but just see what areas you might be able to further improve upon to get the best score for you. Good luck! You'll do well!

I know you are only trying to be funny, but when someone says they feel like crap, this kind of response can be hurtful and rude.

To the OP: hang in there. Look at the bright side--the scores you HAVE gotten are quite respectable and lots of people do even better on the real deal. Take advantage of the fact that the NBME has highlighted your areas of weakness. Concentrate on those, and, if you can afford to, take NBME4 for a final boost of confidence (hopefully)! Good luck!

Agreed, plus that dude makes it sound like it is so easy to get someone to have sex with you whenever you want it.

Yeah I dunno how good those tests are for determining your weaknesses, cuz everytime i took an NBME the bars showed a different area of weakness.

Yeah I dunno how good those tests are for determining your weaknesses, cuz everytime i took an NBME the bars showed a different area of weakness.
Yeah, I made my one-time $45 donation to NBME, and then I decided to buy fireworks instead.

P.S. The fireworks have been much more enjoyable...

:rolleyes: Whoa there sensitivity police! Someone's been studying the behavioural science a little too much!

Some light hearted humour was what the guy needed. He's panicing and almost all of us feel that way before this beast. While the coddling is nice sometimes you need a friend to point something like this out to you to snap you back into reality. I didn't think he said anything that would make someone feel bad. If anyone was ACTUALLY offended by the TINIEST amount of sarcasm then it's not being a doctor you'd want to worry about - it's trying to just live and function in society in general!

Blah, I'm sure I hurt someone elses feelings with this. So, if I did, I apologize in advance and know that I will always love you. :love: :love: :love: